Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #57

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottRV2 View Post
We have stayed at River Run RV Park in Bakersfield a number of times. Nice park.
Hey just wondering that's the one along the river correct? Never any issues with the homeless that live along the river. I have driven through it and having delt with the homeless in Bakersfield I know I would not want to leave anything out side.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #58

...(I've been told bakersfield a bit ah, sketchy)...
[/QUOTE]

I hear the whole dang California is a whole lot more than 'a bit' sketchy.

Is it true those fun-loving California bureaucrats increased their taxes on diesel fuel? Increased as in 'tripled'? Fuel in California is a dollar more per gallon than Arizona Oregon Nevada? A couple dollars more per gallon than Mexico?

And antifreeze in your fresh-water is probably a bad idea.

But those fun-loving federal bureaucrats are fine with antifreeze in your ice cream.

Disconnect your water hose from the riser, and you'll be fine. Free advice...[/QUOTE]Not triple but pretty bad for sure. When I pulled out in August Costco was 3.90 a gal. Veh reg is what's going to hurt. Them added about 100.00 a yr. For my rig and truck we are paying 2k a yr.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Mike View Post
Hi RiverForest,

I agree with ThePowells about pulling in the slides if snow is a possibility. Getting it off the slide toppers is a pain, and not the safest thing to do.

Ditto on everybody that mentioned the Orange Grove RV Park. It's wonderful and we've been stopping there twice a year for many years.

Just a thought from an ex-trucker: If you anticipate bad weather (snow or ice) and there is a mountain between you and your destination, Go Over The Mountain now (if safe), not later. And don't sit on top of the mountain waiting for problems to possibly come your way, keep driving until you get to a lower elevation, then bed down. Mojave is 1200 feet lower than Tehachapi although I have no idea what RV Parks might be available.

Cheers!
Mojave is a pit.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #60
cwf

If you get caught in a really cold situation...

Buy cheap vodka or any human consumable alcohol. Pour in FW tank and circulate thru the system. It will lower the freezing point of the water in proper dilution. None of the pre-mix stuff.. pure. Any cheap booze will work but vodka seems to work best without leaving a taste/odor in the plumbing.

Of course make SURE your water heater doesn’t run dry..or best turn it off.

Imagine... waking to a nice Vodka flavored morning tooth brushing! Oh... it won’t harm the plumbing... unless you drink too much vodka...trust me....

You can winterize like this and just check once in a while you can still taste the alcohol from the fresh tap... or check specific gravity... 1.0 is (should be) tap water.. . alcohol will evaporate over time of course requiring added alcohol...

Buy the “antifreeze” near the RV storage... a couple of gallons purchase you may find new friends.

It is also almost unnecessary to “purge” the system... just start using the water. It works great in Russian recipes. (I can’t vouch for the recipes)

Of course you can find proper charts for concentration. The less water in the tanks the less alcohol you need to reach concentration.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #61

Bakersfield

We love staying at the Orange Grove RV Park on the east side of Bakersfield. We have been there a few times. December is orange season and you can pick from the trees in the park.
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
If you get caught in a really cold situation...

Buy cheap vodka or any human consumable alcohol. Pour in FW tank and circulate thru the system. It will lower the freezing point of the water in proper dilution. None of the pre-mix stuff.. pure. Any cheap booze will work but vodka seems to work best without leaving a taste/odor in the plumbing.

Of course make SURE your water heater doesn’t run dry..or best turn it off.

Imagine... waking to a nice Vodka flavored morning tooth brushing! Oh... it won’t harm the plumbing... unless you drink too much vodka...trust me....

You can winterize like this and just check once in a while you can still taste the alcohol from the fresh tap... or check specific gravity... 1.0 is (should be) tap water.. . alcohol will evaporate over time of course requiring added alcohol...

Buy the “antifreeze” near the RV storage... a couple of gallons purchase you may find new friends.

It is also almost unnecessary to “purge” the system... just start using the water. It works great in Russian recipes. (I can’t vouch for the recipes)

Of course you can find proper charts for concentration. The less water in the tanks the less alcohol you need to reach concentration.

I just told my husband about your suggestion to add cheap vodka to the FW but how do you get it in the tank itself? Sorry, we are newbies.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #63

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Bruce's was a great big truck stop on 58 as you came into Bakersfield. Saddlesore can probably tell you all about it.
Boy!.... Now THAT brings back memories!
Dead Even in "Adult" entertainment or illicit "trucker supplies" with the old "Bingo" in Fresno, Lasley's in San Leadro and the "Bean Pot" in the "sticker patch" (Phoenix)........
If You "thought you've seen it all"...just wait 30 minutes............
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #64

Snowed in Bakersfield yesterday and shut I-5 down.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieW View Post
I just told my husband about your suggestion to add cheap vodka to the FW but how do you get it in the tank itself? Sorry, we are newbies.
Your RV SHOULD have either a gravity fill somewhere in the side (just like for a fuel tank) where you can just dump the stuff in.
Or a winterizing hose, which is probably somewhere very near your water pump. The winterizing hose will be connected to a valve on the input/low pressure side of the pump. Turn the value and the pump will draw from the hose (which you have put into a bottle of your favorite antifreeze) rather that drawing from the water tank.
If it doesn't have either of these then you can buy a kit that will allow you to add the winterizing hose. It's a fairly simple install - often the hardest part of which is actually reaching the right spot near the pump to install the valve.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Snowed in Bakersfield yesterday and shut I-5 down.
Yup the one week of winter...grapevine was closed for what 4 hrs?..one thing Caltrans dose well.

Again keep up with the weather reports and your good.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #67

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieW View Post
We just purchased a heated water hose for those occasions where we may be caught in freezing temperatures. Haven’t tried it out yet. Anyone else have experience with this hose, if it works ok?
Fill onboard tank and use it in freezing weather. Mine is 95 gallons so I can go at least a week. Black and grey are 65 gal each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Fill onboard tank and use it in freezing weather. Mine is 95 gallons so I can go at least a week. Black and grey are 65 gal each.
Great advice Mr D.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Podivin, showed your response to my husband and we thank you very much for the information.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #70
cwf

Make sure you run water they your toilet as well. Wherever water is used in your rig.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote