Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My socks aren't old till they have holes in them. No good for sand at that point. My beloved helper Annie is a small one but has a heavy foot. I carry her wherever I go. No problems so far. She is also nice to talk to when doing such things. Can your sock talk to you?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=MSHappyCampers;1725100][QUOTE=bdpree
Brian, are you trying to tell me something? [/QUOTE]

Have you ever dumped a full black tank and watched your hose jump when you opened the valve? If you move fast enough you can pull the handle and get to the other end to hold it down with your foot before the pipe blows out of the hole. If you don't move fast enough lets just say it can get interesting. Not that anything like that has ever happened to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I suppose if the hose pops out while your or DWs foot is holding it down - they will know first hand what a sewer boot is.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #18

I won a plastic sewer hose weight at one of the irv2.com rallies. Gotta find out where they bought it because if it ever gets a hole in it or someone walks away with it, I will have another. If you've ever had the adapter jump out of the doughnut you know why. Fifty gallons of black water has a lot of force at the end of a 4" hose.
Almost every CG we've stayed at sells the foam doughnuts/sewer seals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I resemble all the above.

The tightness of the sewer boot fit is directly proportional to the diameter of the sewer dump station. Some will be tight, some will be loose. Be very careful of the loose ones as they give meaning to "sewer boot." I carry some leveling pieces of 2x10's. When I'm in a situation where the boot is loose I'll break out a couple of those and use then as the weight. I have not been in a predicament where I needed to level and use a sewer boot.

However, I was just "thinking out of the box" and said, "Hmmm, I have some tent stake pegs, and I have some rubber inner tube (think bungee) pieces. They would be easy to use to hold down a sewer boot. Even if I didn't have them they are readily available and easy to store. Hmmm!"

Cheap is as cheap can get.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #20

My first encounter with the sewer boot was in Oregon just south of Portland this spring. By law, in that area, it is required to seal off sewer connection. Mgr of park said at times law enforcement does drive through the park. They will cite RVers if not using a tight connection on the sewer. That park did not have a threaded connection. That boot, as in the previous post, is very flexible and will go over threads of standard sewer hoses and will give you a tight seal into their fitting. I haven't seen those boots around for years. I had one back in the 70s when I was in my TC. Cost is only about $4.50 and the park sold them. Probably worth it to have one in your RV in case it is needed. I think we can all be looking forward to laws such as these in counties and states all across the country in the future.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
My simple solution was to buy a $5 heavy duty plastic bag intended to keep cameras and other items dry at a sporting goods store. Fill it with a few pounds of pea gravel, and you're ready to go...so to speak.

The flexibility of the plastic bag and pea gravel allows it conform to the shape of the sewer hose (ours is a RV Sani-Con). Wash it off, then toss it back in the RV after use. Takes up little space.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #22

I used to be a "semi pro" photographer (back in the old real film days). I had several of these around my old darkroom. Perfect for holding the elbow into the pipe and flexible enough to be a perfect fit for any angle or depth of pipe. Takes up very little space in the storage bay.

Amazon.com: Sandbag Sandbags Black Yellow Sandbag Photography Sandbag Studio Video Equipment Sandbag Sand Bag Saddle Bag for Boom Stand Tripod By Fancier Black Yellow Sandbag: Electronics

Can be as heavy as you want to make it. When I was doing outdoor nature photography, I actually had one that was full of 1.5 inch diameter bolts that were about 8" long...weighed about 50 lbs. I use sand in the one for the 5er...don't need a hernia at my age! The black and yellow "hazard" markings also keep me from tripping over the darn thing.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Simple solution, DW puts her foot on the connection while I open the valves. We share in the chores of set up, service and take down.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Back in my younger days, I did some scuba diving. I found an old weight belt in the basement that works just right. I adjusted it to have one weight on each side, just wide enough to be on each side of the sewer elbow, and it holds the elbow in the sewer drain perfectly. Doesn't take up much room in the wet bay either.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote