Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Me thinks anyone who has ever had a tire blowout knows what a "blowout" is.. and that anyone who has never had a blowout will know what a blowout is when they have one...(regardless of the reason the tire blew out).
Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, you are correct. Same could be said about having a heart attack.
My point is that I feel if you want to avoid having another heart attack its best to understand why you had one in the first place. To do that, the conditions and contributors that led to the attack need to be understood

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Seems to me all you're doing is making a case for a TPM system.
snip.
Yes I am a proponent of having some TPMS. I consider knowing I have the needed level of inflation in my tires as a form of insurance.

I choose to use a sensor and reporting device that monitors tire inflation all the time.
Checking the pressure before travel only means that at the moment you are doing the check you have air pressure. That certainly is a good thing to do. Of course some feel every day is too often and once a month or once a season is sufficient and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Please ignore my suggestions for checking or knowing your air pressure all the time if you feel I am wrong.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I think the point here is that the "leak" is undetectable by the driver (unless a TPMS is in use), so he continues driving until it fatigues the tire enough to become a "blowout". You might notice a soft tire visually when you walk around the rig, but you cannot tell while driving.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

When I say I had 3 blowouts and one flat, I'm separating the ones I heard and felt from the one that another driver warned me of. A blowout is destructive, explosive and noticeable.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
When I say I had 3 blowouts and one flat, I'm separating the ones I heard and felt from the one that another driver warned me of. A blowout is destructive, explosive and noticeable.
So in your case it is probable that all 4 had the same Root Cause. Three were not noticed till the tire came apart. One happened to be noticed before the tire came apart.
IMO all 4 might have been detected early enough to avoid the destruction if a TPM had been in use.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks, I think
"Sudden" is what the driver feels when the first indication is the loud "Bang" and a jerk of the steering.
If there was a slow leak going on for say 5 or 10 minutes, the tire "knew" what was happening and it wasn't a "sudden" failure but slow build to an exciting finish
Let's cut to the chase. In your experience, wouldn't TPMS start ringing all kinds of alarms if interior temp in a tire goes up past the pre-set factory setting?

At what loss of psi do temps start to climb into the Hot zone?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So in your case it is probable that all 4 had the same Root Cause. Three were not noticed till the tire came apart. One happened to be noticed before the tire came apart.
IMO all 4 might have been detected early enough to avoid the destruction if a TPM had been in use.
I installed tpms last year after the blowout on my new fiver. Also put new Goodyear's, lr D on it two days later. OK so far. In first and second blowouts I heard the explosion and felt the shake at 60 mph on interstate. Third went flat and driver motioned me over. Forth blowout was loud and shook the truck again. First 3 were on my wildcat, 5er load range E. Last on rockwood 5er load range C. ALL WERE OEM TRAIL EXPRESS. All between 1500 and 5000 miles. 78 psi in Es and 50 psi in C.

And i saw a piece of sidewall blow across the left lane and into the median on second blowout. Would have damaged a car had one been there.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #22

If I am driving down the road and my steering becomes difficult, I always check my tires first.
As I check my tires first before, during, and after travel to ensure they are at the proper PSI (lets not get into PSI again).
If I hear a bang I know it is a blow out and I am going to have to get off the road, call my insurance, or if you have tires/wheels rider on EW you can call them. Then I have to wait, who knows how long to get someone out to fix, repair, or replace the tire.
I Think most people call a flat tire a blowout is that most insurance polices only cover blown out tires (or damages to the tire that equal blowout damage.)
Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Let's cut to the chase. In your experience, wouldn't TPMS start ringing all kinds of alarms if interior temp in a tire goes up past the pre-set factory setting?

At what loss of psi do temps start to climb into the Hot zone?
Temperature increase the TPM will "see" will always lag the real tire hot spot.
AND Temperature increase is due to a loss of air pressure. TPMS temperature readings will be about 20 to 50F cooler than the tire hot spot so I really have never used the temp as a primary number for concern.

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems are primarily monitoring pressure so that is what you should be concerned with.
A good TPMS will provide warning as soon as you loose as little as 5 psi from the hot running pressure. I could see a tire loosing 1 psi per second not increasing the average temperature of the inflation air by more than a couple of degrees every 3 to 10 seconds.
I haven't done controlled experiment and haven't heard of anyone doing a test. Its too simple to simply monitor pressure and issue warning at -5 psi and a second type warning at -10 psi or similar.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #24

Personally I would consider any catastrophic tire failure to fall under the general term of a "blow out" I say this and offer an example that happened to me last year. Ford F-350 towing a 27' Prowler Travel Trailer. Speed 65 mph on a 4 lane freeway. Heard a loud bang, followed by a vertical oscillation of the travel trailer (technical description follows) BOOM followed by BOUNCY, BOUNCY, BOUNCY! Wife freaked, (What the hell was that?!?), Making the snap decision not to spend the next 5 minutes discussing all the possible problems that could have potentially led to the current situation (BOOM, BOUNCY, BOUNCY, BOUNCY), I instead erroneously announced "Tire Blow-out!" and just pulled over. Subsequent investigation revealed that although the tread on the right rear travel trailer had departed the tire, I had in fact not had a "Blow out", but rather only a catastrophic tire failure, a separation of the outer tread and immediate distancing of the tread from the rest of the tire. I hung my head in quiet shame, knowing that even though I had executed the correct emergency procedure in accordance with the appropriate -10 (Operators Handbook), I had in fact misdiagnosed the event that had brought the entire situation to my initial attention (please refer back to BOOM, BOUNCY, BOUNCY, BOUNCY! as related above). Although at this point I was still overcome with shame, I still had the forethought to take the next immediate action (call Emergency Roadside Assistance!). While waiting for RA to arrive, I looked more closely at the tire, and realized that it still had pressure. I checked the pressure with a tire gauge, and found it to be 82 psi, two psi higher than optimum, cold pressure . . . . About 20 minutes later, the RA truck arrived and I waited with baited breath (having had fish for lunch) for the experts diagnosis. He said . . . wait for it . . . "Wow, looks like you had a Blow-out!" So there you have it folks, I was right all along!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote