Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Question What is considered alot of miles on a diesel engine?

I have a friend that sold 3/4 ton Chev pick-up truck because he had 109,000 miles on a diesel engine. How many miles is considered alot for a diesel engine?

Thanks, Bob
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I have a friend that sold 3/4 ton Chev pick-up truck because he had 109,000 miles on a diesel engine. How many miles is considered alot for a diesel engine?

Thanks, Bob
Yup!

But my last truck has 464K miles on it before I sold it to my son. Now it has close to 500K on it, still no engine work,... even still has the original ejectors.
Go figger, If it was a dually, I woulda kept it.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:

Thanks, Bob
That would partly depend on the size of the engine. Basically a smaller (pickup) engine turns a lot more rpm's than a big truck engine, or big mh engine. My company has bunches of newer trucks, but also many with well over 500,000 miles on the original engines.Some with a million. Proper maintenance is key there, as with anything. I've seen our Cummins ISX 400's go 500,000, then you will expect to blow a turbo, or replace an injector. I'm sure many with DP's will chime in here, as the usage in a MH is different. Bottom line is for me, I wouldn't worry about a "properly maintained" DP with a couple hundred thousand on the clock,,, AS FAR as the engine goes... Other drivetrain components are another thing....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

a major factor is how it is or was taken carry of and driven. you can destroy any thing. and it depends which engine you're talking about, remember the oldsmobile diesel. that being said i bought my 1994 3/4 ton dodge 5.9 with 450,000 miles. wanted something to play with. still running strong. i have 131,000 on my 8.3 cummins 300 hp. dp. don't expect having to open the motor while i have it.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
As mentioned, good maintenance is the key.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

This question is in the general discussion catagory so not sure if you are asking about an engine in a motor home, or in a truck or in a toad, or if it matters. The engine is only one part of the whole package of a motorhome so while an engine may certainly last over a million miles with proper maintanence, we are not driving, or at least most of us are not driving Peterbuilts.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It depends more on the way it is driven. If it is start and stop driving, low miles per year, as in a car or a light truck, I wouldn't expect a diesel engine to last any longer than a gas engine. If it's mostly longer runs, with higher miles per year, as in a RV, half a million miles is not unrealistic. If the engine is running steady, as in a highway truck, a million miles is reasonable.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Limit the discussion to pickups in the 3/4-1ton range then 150k miles is often considered low mileage if the engine was taken care of. 500k miles on a diesel is not all that unusual and there are even a mess of million milers if you look hard enough.

Prices on diesel trucks regardless of it's class or model are often way overpriced and people are willing to pay it especially on Ford and Chevs'. A 2004 F350 dually with 152k miles on it and a fair interior and a rough exterior was priced at on a lot at $18,000, over blue book, and sold for $14k. Wasn't worth more than $11k. A 2003 F250 extra cab with a 7.3l diesel and a service bed was on the lot marked at $7900.

You can also expect to see the used truck market to go through the roof after the storm back east as well. There will be a huge call for replacement work trucks.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #9

Good deal or not?

2006 Duramax Dually 110k miles - $16900

2006 Duramax Dually 110k miles
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

On paper it looks ok. Only I wold even began to make an offer until I've seen and inspected it. Hidden problems include electrical nightmares, owner mods that were installed then removed. Look underneath and see how clean it is. Corrosion, leaks is the oil pan clean or covered in oily dirt. If the pan area is dirty wash, drive it for 15 mins then see if there are any leaks.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #11

with the engine running take the cap off where you add the oil. what you're looking for is blowby. compression getting by the rings. lots of blowby = time to rebuild.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
This question is in the general discussion catagory so not sure if you are asking about an engine in a motor home, or in a truck or in a toad, or if it matters. The engine is only one part of the whole package of a motorhome so while an engine may certainly last over a million miles with proper maintanence, we are not driving, or at least most of us are not driving Peterbuilts.
Exactly right! With pickups one must exercise caution buying a diesel. "Bombers" can cut normal engine life by 75%. Just visit one of the diesel pickup forums and read what some do to their engines. I've read of some diesel pickup owners burning acetone in them because they heard it greatly improves performance. I would not expect to hear that from MH or MDT/HDT owners.
There is one factor to be considered. Sure a diesel engine has a much longer lifespan, however, the rest of the truck is no different than one having a gasoline engine, so the lifespan of "U" joints, steering components, engine accessories, etc must be considered, ie: how old is the vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #13

Thanks for all the information and when I take off the oil inlet and see a white color is that mean a problem?

Friend's pick-up that was sold is a 2007 model.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all the information and when I take off the oil inlet and see a white color is that mean a problem?

Friend's pick-up that was sold is a 2007 model.
Doesn't surprise me especially if it was the 'early body-style' 2007. Those got much better mileage than a post Jan 2007. (same drive train)
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel