RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Now, if you had a solution, then that's worthy.
My solution is for State and Federal campgrounds to restrict excessive outdoor lighting as they do generator usage.

baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #58

Ok, then define "excessive", and write your congressperson to draft a new article of law.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
OP here. Actually, I did do a search on this topic before I posted. And yes, there are other threads on this issue.
I started this thread because I still don't understand why some people have to light up their site like the Las Vegas strip in a scenic, State or Federal park, where presumably the focus is on enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. It ticks me off that some people are so inconsiderate and egocentric that they feel they have to impose their selfish behavior on others.
And nothing is stopping anyone from scrolling on past if they find the subject repetitive and "trying".
I wish State and Federal parks would restrict excessive lighting like they do generator use. Not much difference in my mind.
Oh my! What a dull world this would be if we all thought alike. At a campground we frequent there are several sites lighted like Times Square on New Years Eve. One older gent has a couple plastic palm trees which are totally covered with lights. He even has flood lights lighting up his dreaded Flamingos. A little extreme but he takes pride in his site and light. He changes it up on occasion but it's still quite impressive.
I have operating blinds in my RV and learned early on how to use them. Pull 'em down and go to sleep. Nothing to it.
If someone wanted to experience a quiet dark evening I could fix them right up. I have 200 acres of land here at home where I could take you across the road up onto my hill, lay out a tarp and you can lay on your back and stare at the sky to your heart's content. It's darker than the inside of a cow and the only visitors you might have are deer, turkeys a raccoon or two and maybe even a coyote. They don't heed my Posted signs well.
No flashlights allowed.
Lynn
Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
My solution is for State and Federal campgrounds to restrict excessive outdoor lighting as they do generator usage.
We camp at State parks and use a generator.
Kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #61

One string of white lights is enough for us.
Have not been plagued by sticky fingers yet.
Cameras and signs that point to them help.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The wife and I always enjoy being as annoying as possible when we use the RV.

Lots of high wattage lights on dusk to dawn
Our dogs barking as much as possible
Our grandkids running and riding their bikes thru others campsites all day
Making sure our campfire smoke travels to others
Using our 2000 watt surround sound amp and speakers outside until 2 am
Drunken parties every night with open bar. The more the merrier.

I think y'all get my jest here.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Topic has been discussed many times.
summary:

Some people like lights, some don't.
If you use lights, be courteous to your neighbors. Shut most of them off at sleep time.
If you don't, mind your own business.
If you like the stars, walk to a secluded spot to star gaze.
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
The wife and I always enjoy being as annoying as possible when we use the RV.

Lots of high wattage lights on dusk to dawn
Our dogs barking as much as possible
Our grandkids running and riding their bikes thru others campsites all day
Making sure our campfire smoke travels to others
Using our 2000 watt surround sound amp and speakers outside until 2 am
Drunken parties every night with open bar. The more the merrier.

I think y'all get my jest here.
The most honest answer on here yet.
Lynn
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Camping involves many things. Campfires, smoke, the smell of grilled food, conversation, laughter, families celebrating, kids playing outside (omg let's hope that does not become a thing again). Maybe some of these things can be trying at times for some people. Unsupervised kids having too much fun. Bikes in the road, strangers 25' away, music outside your chosen genre (maybe you don't like music at all ) dogs, cats, rats, elephants, unicorns (Irish Rovers). I'm sure you get my point.

Campgrounds often if not almost always have a list of rules either written and handed out or published on line. And of course there are the laws of the state and local jurisdiction in which you have chosen to camp. Along with some common courtesy items (pick up after your elephant, smile on occasion, do not invade others site's etc.) these are the rules, laws, and guidelines we are obligated to follow at most campgrounds.

None of us will always like what our campground neighbors are up to on a given day but if they are doing so within the rules the laws and common decency then our choices are to live with it or leave. One would hope the choice would never be to bring an h.o.a. mentality (or God forbid h.o.a. rules) to the camping world as this is exactly what many are trying to escape for a few precious days I would hazard to bet.

Does one really expect to star gaze in the middle of a campground that has electric power to the sites? Do their lights really annoy you to the point of ruining your camping experience?

I try not to be the one that moved to the country then complained that the farmer's cow's smelled..... but that's just me.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #66

Well I guess I can add my 2 cents here seeing how we are the OPs favorite type of campers to Avoid.
1. We use Blue rope lights on the ground around our site perimeter.
We keep our dogs inside of those lights and they know not to go past them as they are NEVER outside alone.

2. We have 3 dogs that travel with us.
Our dogs are our companions and our responsibility. They aren't left outside if we aren't there. They're dogs, and as such they are carefully watched as nobody can read the mind of a dog and I want everyone safe including dogs. We have a leash for each and on each leash you will see bags in a roll. These are used even if we are at a rest stop and others seem to feel it's not needed.
Our newer pup is wearing a bark control collar, she has yet to learn what quite i, unless reminded

3. We like to stay indoors at night.
I have asthma and smoke from campfires really bothers me. I don't have the right to tell anyone what to do with the site THEY'RE paying for if the rules allow them. That's what closed windows are for. If the campfire gets to smoky then friendly chat with the neighbor might be warranted to explain the problem I have with the smoke. If all else fails then WE move.

We love to travel and see new thing's but we aren't going to sit outside just to please someone else. We run our rope lights on a timer. On at 6pm and Off at 10:30pm when it's the last time we take our dogs out to do their business before bed.
Oh and the light hanging on the front of our RV on the pin box, well that's so nobody runs into it and it's solar powered.
Fawny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #67
P38

2nd most important commandment. Love your neighbor as yourself.
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #68
EJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoocamper View Post
Camping involves many things. Campfires, smoke, the smell of grilled food, conversation, laughter, families celebrating, kids playing outside (omg let's hope that does not become a thing again). Maybe some of these things can be trying at times for some people. Unsupervised kids having too much fun. Bikes in the road, strangers 25' away, music outside your chosen genre (maybe you don't like music at all ) dogs, cats, rats, elephants, unicorns (Irish Rovers). I'm sure you get my point.

None of us will always like what our campground neighbors are up to on a given day but if they are doing so within the rules the laws and common decency then our choices are to live with it or leave. One would hope the choice would never be to bring an h.o.a. mentality (or God forbid h.o.a. rules) to the camping world as this is exactly what many are trying to escape for a few precious days I would hazard to bet.

I try not to be the one that moved to the country then complained that the farmer's cow's smelled..... but that's just me.
Very well said. I sure hope campgrounds don't get even remotely close to HOAs. I am the president of one. Very little good comes out of volunteer neighbors governing other neighbors and getting into everyone's business like in an HOA. Most folks just want to live and enjoy their lives. I, for one, am in the camp (pun intended ) of "live and let live". I'm sure some folks would think I'm a bad president for thinking like this.

One of the reasons I love campgrounds is to get out the HOA world.

My daughters, too, love campgrounds and making friends. They can do things they don't always get to do in our hyper-scheduled, overly structured lives like play outside. My younger told me the other day she wishes she grew up when I did because, "we got to play outside." It broke my heart. Nothing is stopping them. We live in the woods.

In fact, we were at a KOA in NH over this past Memorial Day weekend.

Both our daughters made friends and played capture the flag. We were sure to be remind them to be respectful. The next day my teenager said she loves campgrounds better than hotels because you actually meet your neighbors. I thought it was a pretty cool observation.

That comment was right before our neighbor we met that weekend graciously helped (without asking) me backup and connect my trailer to the coach.

There are just some really cool traits of campgrounds, like these examples, that make it special for us.
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #69

....And keep those damn kids off my lawn!

Y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.

Lights on/lights off, eitherway hopefully your enjoying the night, and maybe even the stars.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
With a change of only a few words, this discussion is almost exactly like the thread a few months ago about campfires.

The ideal scenario is somewhere in the middle and arguably the majority of campground users are reasonable, but there always seems to be some at both extremes who arrogantly thumb their noses at those trying to be reasonable as well as the ones at the opposite extreme.

It would seem asking those at the extremes to be more reasonable is somehow unreasonable and a violation of their rights to be uncaring jerks.

Apparently we have little choice but to tolerate their behavior.

akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights