Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
What is the best app for GPS

I'm looking for a good GPS app for my I-phone. Left my Garmin at home and want to go hiking in the woods

jimbo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have had 5 different phone apps for GPS, and not one of them worked with any great accuracy. They all took us places we did not want to be. I do not know of an app that will work for hiking, It would have a more accurate reading since you would be dealing with a small area. I am sorry I cannot think of the name that is used for trekking, it would help you find an app if one is available.

If it were me I would go to the forest service and get their large scale maps of the area(s) you want.

Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
The problem with phone apps is that you have to have a cell signal for them to work. If your out of range or in a valley, then your "lost".
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Try a handheld Garmin such as the 62s. It does not need cell service and is usually accurate to 15 feet. Can download topographical contour maps and never get lost. The Garmin 62 and newer 64 are well liked by serious hikers and mountain climbers. The 62/64 use buttons for input and is much better than the touch screen ones, IMHO. It can be operated by one hand. Very good when hanging on a rope. Good luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
CoPilot!!! It has not failed us yet. It uses your phone GPS.

CoPilot Premium - Navigation for Android Smartphones and Tablets

Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
As said above, cell phones need a cell tower for GPS to work (not sure about apple though). My wife and I were in an area where we had little to no cell phone reception. I started off with my phones GPS but it soon stopped working when the signal was lost. Once I got a signal it picked back up. So now I keep a standard GPS now at all times.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my past trip there was several places that we had no cell signal, but the GPS still worked.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GPS Drive. Have used it for years. Works very well. I think $10-20 a year for turn by turn voice. Free if no voice. Or something similar to thus pricing for service.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote