Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
To help simplify, the job of a residential type septic tank is to retain solids long enough to "digest" and to slowly release liquids (only) into a drain field or sand mound. The digestion process is accomplished primarily by valuable bacteria in the 500 gal. plus tank. (helpful bacteria can be killed or severely reduced by use of chemicals such a formaldehyde, drain cleaners, etc.)

The job of your RV black tank is to "hold" solids and liquids for say about a week or so before rapidly dumping the entire contents into a sanitary sewer system. Your black tank is not intended to serve the same "digestion" function as a septic tank and therefore the type of paper you choose to use is for the most part irrelevant to the function. The critical aspect for proper function the RV black tank is to use PLENTY of water with each flush.

The only sound reason for using septic tank grade toilet paper in your RV is to help campgrounds that have large septic systems.

If you like single-ply, go ahead and use it. If you like your favorite "soft" brand, go ahead and use that, too. Either way, use plenty of water and you'll never have a problem.
Well stated, and I agree. The type or grade of toilet paper is irrevelant, unless you buy the type that falls apart before you're finished with it. It's the amount of flushing water that's critical to avoiding the dreaded "pyramid of poo".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I have to disagree. Septic grade and most single ply TP disintegrates easily and something that's desired in a limited holding space such as an RV black tank. You absolutely do not want wads of paper mixed with solids clogging the drain as well as shielding the sensors. The use of septic grade paper allows the easy draining of that tank. Then using plenty of water to help things along is your best solution and something that has worked for me for many years (with a couple exceptions)
I can't argue with that, Dave. Single-ply certainly does disintegrate more easily and quickly. I just wanted to point out the basic functional differences between a septic tank and an RV black tank. Clearly, many of us have a preference we practice and we should stick with what we're comfortable with. Me? I've never had any type of blockage or flow restriction using "soft" residential tissue so that's what we'll do. Having plenty of water is without doubt the key
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #31

Way back in 07 a school girl settled this debate. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The great toilet tissue debate is SOLVED!
Note the TP brands and recollect what you say you will not use or clogs you tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #32

What is the best type of toilet paper to use??

Hello and Thanks to everyone that responded to my question, I guess the key to this whole thing is to use LOTS AND LOTS of water, now the water part is to use allot of water when flushing or to have a good portion of the tank with water before use?? Thanks Again!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Quilted Northern two-ply. Passes the test, though not in stellar fashion.

We've only had one problem in over two years, and that was right after having guests. But the key is the water- a good honest 1-1/2 plus gal per flush. In my never very humble opinion single-ply paper is a false economy. It's not necessary for the holding tank function, and I suspect most folks just use about twice as much of it to avoid "accidents". It saves very little paper, if any.

Grandcanyon, to answer your last question: Use plenty of water with each solid flush, but also after each tank dump add about 5-10 gal of water as a starter (depending on your black tank size). I have a 45 gal tank, and after the dump I run the flush for 3 min with valve closed (est 15 gal), drain that out and do it again for two minutes. So, we start each black tank usage about 15-20% full.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
We use the Quilted Northern two-ply. Passes the test, though not in stellar fashion.

In my never very humble opinion single-ply paper is a false economy. It's not necessary for the holding tank function, and I suspect most folks just use about twice as much of it to avoid "accidents". It saves very little paper, if any.

So, we start each black tank usage about 15-20% full.
Okay, so I'm going with John on this one. I like my Charmin Ultra Strong Mega Rolls. It works well for the bears on their commercials and I'm a big TP user. Although, I do realize that it means that I can only Boondock for about 12 hours though. To help out the RV Park, it's "clog safe" and "septic safe".

Name:   Charmin.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  31.8 KB

Now, if I could only get the DW to put on the roll like this...

Name:   toiletpaper.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  6.4 KB

Instead of this way...

Name:   ToiletPaper_holder.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  15.6 KB

Then, I'll be in Bathroom Heaven. As long as there are magazines available.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #35

I also use Costco Brand Kirkland TP, have used in several MH's for over 15 years never had a problem. Always get the blackwater tank above 1/2 full 3/4 is better before dumping and everything comes out.
Good luck, happy travels.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So being a Newbie, I was concerned about what TP we need to use in our new Class A MH and read up in the threads here along with googling' best RV TP. In a hotel at the moment awaiting completion of our PDI and handover (tomorrow), I thought...lets try the test.

The hotel (a major chain) we're currently staying in supplies/uses 2-ply Georgia Pacific Angel Soft Professional series TP in their guest rooms. Having used it the past 10 days we consider it reasonably comfortable so I thought it worthy of a test. I filled a glass 3/4's full of water, dropped 1-sheet of the TP in it, waited 30-secs, gave it one good shake and found that the paper was already breaking down & settling with the look of ice slivers and chips in the bottom of the glass convincing me that it may be a good choice for use in our coach. Reading the packaging label also indicates its flushable and septic safe.

Found it on-line at BettyMills.com: Cleaning, Sanitary & Medical Supplies. @ $57.99 (tax free) for a 80-roll carton + shipping of $10.75, totaling $68.74 or $0.86 per roll delivered to my doorstep.

That's half the price of a roll Aqua-Soft 2-ply RV TP from Camping World which sells for $6.20 per 4-pkg roll (or $1.58/roll ex-tax).

I thought "****" this is a no-brainer and ordered the 80-roll case from BMs.
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
So being a Newbie, I was concerned about what TP we need to use in our new Class A MH and read up in the threads here along with googling' best RV TP. In a hotel at the moment awaiting completion of our PDI and handover (tomorrow), I thought...lets try the test.

The hotel (a major chain) we're currently staying in supplies/uses 2-ply Georgia Pacific Angel Soft Professional series TP in their guest rooms. Having used it the past 10 days we consider it reasonably comfortable so I thought it worthy of a test. I filled a glass 3/4's full of water, dropped 1-sheet of the TP in it, waited 30-secs, gave it one good shake and found that the paper was already breaking down & settling with the look of ice slivers and chips in the bottom of the glass convincing me that it may be a good choice for use in our coach. Reading the packaging label also indicates its flushable and septic safe.

Found it on-line at BettyMills.com: Cleaning, Sanitary & Medical Supplies. @ $57.99 (tax free) for a 80-roll carton + shipping of $10.75, totaling $68.74 or $0.86 per roll delivered to my doorstep.

That's half the price of a roll Aqua-Soft 2-ply RV TP from Camping World which sells for $6.20 per 4-pkg roll (or $1.58/roll ex-tax).

I thought "****" this is a no-brainer and ordered the 80-roll case from BMs.
It may help if I clarify. Our new coach includes a macerator so I was considering this also as we want to use a TP that will not clog or bulk up on the blades as well as something that will breakdown in the black tank between dumps. Someone also asked me where we'll store 80 rolls of TP and of course the answer is - we are not FT's and thus will take what we need with us on the road when traveling and keep remaining stock at home restocking the coach when we return.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #38

Scotts single ply or Cottonelle Ultra Comfort Care 2 ply. Both break up fast.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
Scotts single ply or Cottonelle Ultra Comfort Care 2 ply. Both break up fast.
We tried Scotts 1000 based on many recommendations and thought it was awful. It was slick and non-absorbent and we found we had to use a lot more of it. Kirkland (Costco) is far superior, as are Quilted Northern Ultra Plush, Great Value Ultra Strong. Although we prefer to use septic safe TP, the RV holding tanks are not septic systems, so it gets flushed periodically so I am not even sure that breaking down quickly is a requirement.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Best Toilet Paper

The best TP is one that is soft enough to not leave any road rash afterwards and strong enough so that your fingers don't end up doing the deed.

Either Costco or Sam's Club is all we use.

More reading on the topic since this has been discussed a multitude of times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...earch=irv2.com

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mean this hasn't been settled yet?

Glenn
Old 09-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #42

I like the one that comes on a roll-works great on the holder!