Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

What is the difference between RV and Residential solar panels

What is the difference between and RV solar panel and an RV one. If I get a home use panel lets say 180 watts and a charge controller can that be use for an RV??
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
DC is DC and a charge controller into deep cycle batteries is the same even if the batteries do move around. The only "big" difference is that stationary batteries can be bigger -size-wise- and there are usually more of them that is commonly found in a MH.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

There is no difference. Solar panels are of different types by size, construction and output. It is up to you and/or your vendor to determine if a particular panel is suited to your application. As long as the solar charge controller can handle the output of a particular panel or panel array it doesn't matter if the panels are marketed for RV or home use.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
There is no difference. Solar panels are of different types by size, construction and output. It is up to you and/or your vendor to determine if a particular panel is suited to your application. As long as the solar charge controller can handle the output of a particular panel or panel array it doesn't matter if the panels are marketed for RV or home use.

I here that the residential units put on 30-70 volt vrs rv maybe 18 volts. I guess the issue is if the charge controller can handle the 30-70 volts. the home unit may work. I am new to this and just kinda lost till i get some basics.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Jack Mayer's Electrical and Solar webpages contain a wealth of information for both subjects.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Often multiple physically smaller and therefore lower wattage panels are selected for RV usage. This allows for shading mitigation and placement flexibility on the limited space of an RV roof around obstructions such as air conditioning units, plumbing vents, fans, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Jack Mayer's Electrical and Solar webpages contain a wealth of information for both subjects.

Thanks for the sight I feel I am getting a little more comfortable with this, a lot more reading and I can't get going. I started stranger project from scratch with help from knowing people.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

From what I could tell, there wasn't a difference beyond them wanting to limit the warranty on panels that were going to be used in mobile applications. You had 5 years on those flexible panels and 20 or something on their home versions. I thought of getting a couple of their 24 foot long 18 inch wide roof panels for an RV, they look the same except for size and power output, sticky backing and all.
Global Solar Energy - POWER the Possibilities
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #9

If you use an MPPT controller with an output rating that matches the batteries, then the main consideration is that the maximum open circuit voltage of the panels must be less than the maximum input rating of the controller. Other posters have mentioned factors including shading and voltage drop that might point to few large high voltage panels vs several small panels.

Physically, panels do vary quite a lot, mainly in the strength of the frame and the 'floppiness' of the panel itself when mounted flat. On my 4WD truck subject to heavy washboarded roads, I provide extra support to the centre of the panel using foam blocks between the underside of the panel and the vehicle roof to keep the movement to a minimum.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
If you use an MPPT controller with an output rating that matches the batteries, then the main consideration is that the maximum open circuit voltage of the panels must be less than the maximum input rating of the controller. Other posters have mentioned factors including shading and voltage drop that might point to few large high voltage panels vs several small panels.

Physically, panels do vary quite a lot, mainly in the strength of the frame and the 'floppiness' of the panel itself when mounted flat. On my 4WD truck subject to heavy washboarded roads, I provide extra support to the centre of the panel using foam blocks between the underside of the panel and the vehicle roof to keep the movement to a minimum.
I also think from a little looking around the MPPT controller for a larger voltage range as more costly compared to those made for 12/24 volt
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

For our application there is no advantage in going higher than 24V input simply because the slight gain you get from needing thinner cable is - as you say - more than offset by the extra cost of the controller.
Also any DC voltage above 40 volts starts to get a bit dangerous as far as isolation and arcing problems are concerned.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Solar Panels

I am using a 185 W flat solar panel connected to a 60 amp solar charge controller. When I have full sun it can produce 10 amps of charging current to charge my 4 batteries. It let us boondock this last 4th holiday when there were no other camp sites! Solar is a great backup to land power and the noisy generator.
bobe6rfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
What is the difference between and RV solar panel and an RV one. If I get a home use panel lets say 180 watts and a charge controller can that be use for an RV??
Yes
I have a 220 panel with a morning star duo charge controller.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

I have a 265 watt, two 180 watt, one 160 watt and a 20 watt panel on the Air Conditioner that was part of the factory install. The 160 watt was added to the 20 watt going to a factor install ZAMP 10 amp PWM controller. The pair of 180 watt panels go to one MPPT controller and the 265 watt panel to another MPPT controller. I added a solar junction box on the roof and four 6 AWG wires from the junction box to the pair of controllers.

The larger panels are Grape Solar and can be shipped for free to your local home Depot. My 265 watt panel has 8 three in high stainless steel Z brackets with two screws on each bracket into the roof. The 180 watt panels on use 4 Z brackets each. It the panels have quality aluminum frames that don't flex you shouldn't have problems with the larger panels if you use enough brackets to secure it well.

I used the different size panels to take advantage of the open spaces available on the roof.

Tags
solar