Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the farthest you've traveled

We recently returned from a trip to France. We went to Normandy to see the WWII cemeteries and Museums. I saw a surprising number of RVs in the French countryside and I wondered if anybody has RVed in other countries or how far they have taken their RV from home. I know many people go to Canada and Mexico. Has anyone been to other countries in North America, or to South America in their RV. I would like to hear from anyone who has flown to other countries (or even Hawaii) and rented an RV, or drove their RV from the US to far away countries.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our very first RV experience was in Australia. Flew into Perth and rented a van to RV the SW of the country for 2 months. The van was ridiculously small with no toilet, but it was fabulous! Talk about nature, wide open spaces and very, very few people. We loved it. Many of the folks we met on the road there were either long-time RVers or people taking a year out to see the country. This experience was actually what gave us the "RV bug" and got us into full-time RVing in the US just a few years later.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW wants to do the cathedral and castle "caravan" of England. I would like to do the whiskey trail and golf in Scotland . But certainly NOT in this motorhome.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

A year ago we were in Alaska and came across two families, one from Austria and the other from Australia, who had taken what I would consider to be the ultimate RV trip. They had shipped their RV's to Argentina and driven from one end of the Western Hemisphere at Tierra del Fuego to the other end at the North Slope of Alaska. They said they had been on the road for a little over a year.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

We have 5 RVs in 4 countries - Australia, USA, Germany and Argentina and have been skipping for one to the other mostly based on the climate - for about 7 years essentially full-time.
Not for everyone but works for us and we get to cross quite a few things off our to-do list.

This time we will be out of Australia for about 2 years - to Germany, then Iceland and back to Germany, then to Argentina and now Chile, then to US and Canada - maybe Mexico as well - and then back to S America to have a look at Bolivia and Peru.

We decided against shipping because it is quite expensive and ties you to the destination for too long before you can justify shipping to another country. All eggs in one basket sort of thing. Buying relatively cheap RVs as we do, means not worrying about renting and insurance excesses and if we suffer a catastrophic breakdown to one vehicle we just walk away from it and go somewhere else.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Have been to every continent. (except Antartica) by being in 88 countries. (Some countries many times) and frequenty circumnavigated the world in my travels.

Have RVed in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, UK, every US State. except Hawaii, every Province and NWT and Yukon Territories in Canada.

Drove in the UK with a LH drive car pulling a small TT. Now that was a challenge. No problem with rented RV's in New Zealand and Australia. They had RH drive.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #7

Look up Fantasy Tours, they arrange RV tours internationally.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We flew to Auckland, NZ in 2002 and rented a motorhome there. Stupidly assumed that we could easily do both islands in 2.5 weeks. New Zealand roads are not like the US! Gee, the rest of the world is different. Imagine that....
We had a great time and discovered RVing. Came home and bought a travel trailer, now we have a motorhome.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #9

So far I've travelled to 54 countries. Enjoyed many, some not so much. Been all over Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa.

I haven't made it to South America or the Antartica but did see the remaining continents. I've always wanted to visit Normandy beach to see the WWII cemeteries.

Tags
travel