Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the Most Expensive repair you've had to make?

As new RV'ers, my husband and I have made some updates to the 2002 Itasca Suncruiser that we purchased in July this year. We put on a new set of Michelins, installed front and rear trac bars and a steer safe unit. Of course, this is just to start. We know there is more to come. We are taking it out on our maiden voyage in Sept. We were just talking about the fact that as much as everyone loves their RV's it seems that it is common knowledge that they can be money drains. What can we expect down the line in normal repairs? I'm sure there are horror stories. Just wondering....

AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes. There are more horror stories. Besides a blow out, and a cracking tire, both of which required two tires to be installed, was $1000 each time. So there is $2K.

Dash AC 3-4 times in shop at $300 - $700 each time. last time in it was discovered that someone had put in 5.5 pounds of freon and it should only have 2.5 pounds.

A stint at the factory cost a total of $2.6k

Plus a lot of other little things that just add up.

Someone once said that a boat is a hole in the water that you just keep pouring money into. I think that a MH is just a hole on land that you keep pouring money into.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Another boating motto may apply:

The two happiest days in the life of a boat owner - The day he buys it & the day he sells it.

As with boats, after 6-8 years from new, the $$$$ start going out a lot faster.

Of course, purchase prices on used units reflect this.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Bought a 2000 National Sea Breeze in 06.
Tires and shocks are not really "repairs". Guess my only real repair cost is the $75 I paid to have them check out a front bearing, brake caliper, pad and rotor. That was in Anchorage when I had the cruse control recall done.
They are not all money pits.
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
11.00 in five years, real lucky.
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MY '89 and '98, were relatively inexpensive to operate. Routine maintenance and went close to 100,000 in each, however my dream vehicle a 2005 Itasca Horizon has been a nightmare.. Multi thousand dollar pumps,engine leaks, $12.00 parts with several hundred dollars in labor to find it.I can go on but it is just the cost of indulging our hobby. I think American quality is part of our history and our manufactuers should be ashamed.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Does right sizing the tow vehicle count?
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sofar the ONLY problem was the ONAN Generator:
at 11 hrs = valve spring broke
at 150 hrs = the Computer said without me and it was over 700 Dollars to get him back to work.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
My friend the RV tech showed me a couple LARGE MHs that both had the rear end had rotted off , from a roof leak unattended ... the bill ... $27K for one , still going for the other ... Ouch !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
A few lessons learned:

1- find out what regulator and fuel pump your gen. takes and get backups off Ebay. The Cummins dealer charged me $490.00 for a regulator and I could have gotten one off Ebay for under $50.00. The same goes for the fuel pump.

2- I was a big believer in the Steer Safe unit until mine exploded in PA when I hit a big bump and springs went flying everywhere and one backing plate dug into the brake plate stopping me from turning left. (If it was the right one I'd still be in the middle of the road) Keep an eye on them.

3- Buy a full set of tools, fuses and a test light. One .25 cent fuse can cost you big bucks if you have to be towed or have someone come out and fix it. Also carry some bailing wire, rope, duct tape and bungee cords to temp. hold things together.

4- Make sure you carry a spare tire either on a wheel or just the tire. Waiting a week for someone to find a replacement tire is not fun... Put it in the trunk of your toad if you need to.

5- Put RainX on your windshield for when your wipers quit (and they will) and to help clean the bugs off.

Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Body work.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
The biggest expense has been new brake lines. The previous owner didn't have them replaced when new brakes were done last year. Cost $900. Found out later that my regular mechanic could have done it for $300. Don't just take your MH to a MH repair shop. A good regular mechanic can do most work. Have put about $2k into fixed. But that is mainly due to previous owner not maintaining rig. Stay ontop of repairs and it will be like any other vehicle. If you are able to repair or fix things on your own, the cost will discrease greatly. My biggest expense now is gas. About $250 per fill up.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
The most expensive I have had to pay for is the rear radiator $2500 to replace the aluminum and plastic junk they come with, they crimp the tanks to the core with aluminum crimp beads that decay and leak. Had a new custom made brass and copper job put on that is repairable. Now Cat paid over 8 grand to repair a myriad of issues. Not an ounce of trouble in the last 10K miles.the sound you hear is me knocking on wood
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Steel hoses leading from the transmission to the transmission cooler were not crimped properly when they were installed and leaked transmission fluid over the toad. I had to have new hoses made and Good Sam would not pay for them....no surprise there....and new transmission fluid of course. Less than a $1000 but I had to diagnose it for Camping World and tell them what I thought was causing the fluid to hit the toad.

Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote