Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
[ATTACH]Oops! forgot pic of worst day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1468703409526.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	165513  
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
The best was day we bought it ,and still love it. 2 years ago leaving our Cashiers home at 3500 feet we lost our brakes going down a 7% grade to highway 11. We were up to 70 mph going around curves posted at 30mph.If their had been any oncoming traffic on any of the curves,T wouldn't be here typing this now. We made it without a scratch.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyjoe View Post
The best was day we bought it ,and still love it. 2 years ago leaving our Cashiers home at 3500 feet we lost our brakes going down a 7% grade to highway 11. We were up to 70 mph going around curves posted at 30mph.If their had been any oncoming traffic on any of the curves,T wouldn't be here typing this now. We made it without a scratch.
I've drove that road many times. That had to be one heck of a ride with no brakes. I wouldn't want that to happen in my truck, let alone my MH.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryInMaine View Post
The worst thing: 16 Miles from the dealer, my brand new fifth wheel was rear ended by a 22 wheel propane tanker truck. Totaled the camper, major damage to my Pick-up.

The best thing: I didn't die!
Holy Sh!t. I saw a propane truck drive off a bridge when I was a kid. The fire was incredible, it melted the bridge and could be seen from a long way of.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #47

Pulling out and beginning to head down the street. After nearly a mile in my class A pusher, I felt things were not quite right. Looking in the rear camera I saw a smoke trail behind me and then saw the skid marks as well. My Toad on a dolly had the rear wheels locked up. Tires shredded, rims flat-sided. And the jack for the car broke after switching the first wheel. Had to switch both back rims with the good front wheels. Had to get out blocks of wood, ramps, everything I could to help support the Jeep while making the swaps. Not the best day, and I had 8 hours of driving ahead of me... Just stay out of way that day.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryInMaine View Post
The worst thing: 16 Miles from the dealer, my brand new fifth wheel was rear ended by a 22 wheel propane tanker truck. Totaled the camper, major damage to my Pick-up.

The best thing: I didn't die!

Amen!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
[ATTACH]Oops! forgot pic of worst day...

OMG!
Old 06-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #50

You guys have made it through some amazingly scary stuff. You also have been through some fantastic events. Sounds like it all been worth it. glad to hear no has been hurt very badly. Though we know that some have not been so fortunate. Thanks for sharing.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #51

Worst trip. Had a used class C 26' MH. We went to Prescott Az. for christmas from Or. In Feb it was so cold the dump hose froze and broke in half with grey water. No big deal just replace it. We left to head home and the I-5 was closed due to heavy snow 100 miles before the Or. border. We waited for 4 hours with the heater broke down using a portable heater an Gen. Chains would not go on and snow was over 1' by the time I decided to go south to Redding Ca. and west to the coast,a 400 mile detour for us. The storm was a pip. 10 pm on the coast road in Or getting low on gas and no open stations. Stopped in some parking lot for a few hours to rest up. Headed out around 2 pm and got to Bandon,Or and hit a tree across the highway at 50 mph. It took out the upper bunk window, part of the roof and siding top right an the canopy. Ins covered all but $500 with $4000 damage. The good was that the window was leaking before an the awning was torn in that area anyway. I made out like a bandit.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #52

Your worst day does not have to be catastrophic for you to share. It might just be the bananas went bad as you went on a hike. Trying to learn about the range of difficulties of rving great and small. And the pleasures of being on the road.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
This happened in one day on a trip back from Myrtle Beach.

Best? There are so many I can't pick just one.
Wha? How?? Why???
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #54

Here it goes.....

Red face What a trip. Long story
We did 1700 miles in less than 7 days. We left Michigan on Wednesday the 25th. We Headed for Indianapolis for the evening. About 25 miles North of Indy we ran into a hail storm. The hail was about the size of a quarter. It busted holes in the bathroom vent and the refrigerator vent. The hail was coming down so much it was deafening inside the MH. I was shocked that the windshield did not break. After finding replacement parts in Indy we headed out on Friday morning for Pittsburg State University where my son was competing in a BAHA competition. We drove all day to get there for the next morning. Just North of Carthage MO. With the wife driving I start hearing a ticking noise from the engine. I jumped up to look at the oil pressure gauge and it was all over the place. We shut down the engine and pulled over on the freeway. I discovered that oil had blown all over the underbelly of the MH and all over the passenger’s side and rear of it also. I checked the dip stick and there was no oil on it. While I was waiting for the tow truck my son borrowed a car and brought a few gallons of oil. It took 6 quarts of oil to fill it back up. ( it takes 7.5 to fill it.) When I started the engine oil came blowing out of a switch assy which the oil pressure gauge is also a part of. ( a brass tee that ties into the engine oil port has this switch and pressure gauge sending unit on it) Well I thought that this was going to be an easy fix. The tow truck got me into Lamar Mo about midnight. While it was still up in the air on the tow truck I attempted to unscrew the switch. I had to use a pair of vise grips to grab it and it was tight, with a little more force and SNAP, the brass “T” that the switch was screwed into broke off flush on the engine block. After a few + words I gave up for the night. The tow truck driver was hooking up the driveshaft and he managed to break the bearing cup on the “U” joint. It was not a good night. He went into Joslin the next morning to get parts and all they had was the “U” joint. Once he got back he had brought a set of easy outs with him and proceeded to remove the broken off brass. After a few minutes he is cussing up a storm because he broke off the easy out. By now my nerves are shot and so are my wife’s. Well the easy out broke at the top and not flush like I was expecting. He tried to get out the easy out but the vise grips kept slipping. After a half an hour I gave my hand at it. I tapped on the side of the easy out while I was trying to back it out and it popped right out. So with that out he pulled the drive shaft and took it to the shop to put in the “U” joint. I attempted to pull out the brass piece with the next bigger easy out but it was not budging. I finally made the decision to thread a bolt into the brass so I could get home with it so I could fix it there. In my case of parts and pieces I found the perfect bolt and pushed it in hard while I was turning it with a ratchet. It threaded in with no problem. I backed it out, put a couple of steel washers on it and then a rubber washer, wrapped the heck out of it with Teflon tape and screwed it back in. I had the wife start the engine while I was looking and no oil leak. RELIEF! I ran the engine for 5 or so minutes and still no oil leak. SUCCESS! The driver showed up with the drive shaft installed it and by about 3:00pm Saturday afternoon we were back on the road. I had no oil pressure gauge and the switch that blew was for turning on the electric fuel pump. The mechanical pump worked fine all the way home except for the hills where the carb was a little starved for fuel. All of the way home I kept checking for an oil leak and nothing. Made it home with no more problems, What a shakedown trip for the first one of the year. Thanks to Jim Elliot and Randy/High5 for their support and advise because otherwise I would have went nuts.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #55

I prefer to look at all the great things that have happened since we started rving otherwise my blood pressure reaches stroke levels. Woosabi!!!
95B20V5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #56
IC2

Lots of 'good' tales of RVing woe.

I'll add a couple though kinda picayune in comparison.

The first - a big Viking popup and a broken axle and a wandering tire on I-295 in MA. Yep, you are correct - it was overloaded but even worse, the spindle was incorrectly welded only half way around (top) the axle shaft and was in shear. Got it repaired and home, disassembled again and fixed so it would never fail again.

Next - first trip with our new Titanium 5er in a CG in PA. We were sent up a long grade to a campsite at the top and that had no turnaround big enough and the only way out was down a very steep, narrow jeep trail. Messed up the tailgate on the TV and put a big gouge on the overhang bottom cover. That one was frightening.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote