Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What is up with Good Sam's?

We found a nice RV in a private sale from a wonderful couple that had to retire from the RV life. Since then, the process has been a nightmare.
It took Sam's 7 working days to get us approved. They say it was due to volume. I say poor planning on their part. Every time we needed to call to speak to our account rep, she was out of the office. We financed in the sales tax as well. With Sam's, you have to put 10% down, no matter what. The rep told us to pay the 10% to the seller, so we drove the two hours to get him a check that day and get a receipt so we could move forward. After a few days of nothing, we called and were told by a different rep (because ours was out again) that we needed to pay the 10% to Sam's. Well, after arguing and a manager's approval, they agreed that we would keep things as they were.
The next step was for Samís to pay the original owner's bank off so we could get the lien released. It was the same bank, but it took a week to do. We were also told up front that we would get a check for the sales tax. Well, that was wrong too. It turns out that they planned to register the vehicle for us in Massachusetts from their California office. The kicker was that this would take at least a week or so on their side and a week or so from the Mass DMV, of course not including mail time. Once they got the plates, in California, they would mail them to us. My wife called to complain and tell them that we would register it ourselves and they told us that it was not possible. She spoke to a manager. This guy was extremely rude and I have no idea how he can be employed by a customer service institution. At one point my wife asked him a question and he responded with "Why don't you tell me? You know everything!".
Anyway they agreed that we could register it ourselves, but they could not issue a check to us for the sales tax. Instead, they would apply the money to our principal to lower our loan amount. It was that or start over. He then said that he noted our file so we would have no problem and they would send us the title when they got it. A week later we get a FedEx envelope from them thinking it was the title. Nope, it was the Mass RMV-1 form that we were being asked to sign so they could process our registration. Another phone call later we were connected with yet another rep (Guess who wasn't there) and she told us that they didn't see the note and connected directly to the dept that handles titles. This woman tells us that our title was printed three days ago, but she didn't know where it was and she would watch out for it.
After a few more calls and a few more days, we finally get the title in the mail. Well, Samís listed my wife and I as the sellers.A call to them and the woman told us Ė ďOh, that was Friday. I didnít have my glasses on.Ē The next day we got another form from them, some California document stating that they made an error.It looked nice, but the person at the Mass DMV just laughed and said we needed the Mass form filled out and notarized and that any lender that does this should know about it.We email the form, the next day we get it back, but Samís crossed out the part on the form that had the notary part and said see attached and they send another California form notarized.
We knew this wouldnít work, but tried anyway. Nope. So we called again. The next day we got the form and finally plates. This was almost eight weeks start to finish.The good part was that the previous owner let us drive it home and even camp for Labor Day weekend using his plates. We had our own insurance.
Oh- and while we were camping, the campground said we would get a discount if we were members of Good Samís club. The amount of the membership would easily be paid back with the discounts we would receive so we decide to join, and while signing up, I figured I would get the roadside assist plan too.I got the confirmation email that said I would get my numbers within 48 hours. Well, a week later I called looking for my number and the woman tells me they have no record of me. After 20 minutes, she finally tracked it down. It somehow got lost in the system. She had to cancel everything and I had to start over.
I realize that their bank (Bank of the West and Essex Credit) was to blame for the first part, but Samís name is all over it. I just hope I donít have to wait two weeks if I need roadside assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, what a mess!
Sure glad ours went smoothly, but we went through a dealer too.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If I can get a decent rate anywhere else, I'd jump in a minute.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We are GS Lifetime members and have been since the 70's or so. I do no business with Good Sam now and never will again. The "organization" has radically changed over the years and customer service is out the window. I have dropped everything we had with them because of the same type of response as the OP had. Tons of mail still comes, all of which is trashed. I still do use the GS campground discount because I don't have to deal with GS in any way. It isn't the bank or the dmv, it is GS's bureaucratic way of handling anything. They couldn't do it the easy way or the correct way if they tried. You just found out what I found out several years ago - what a bunch of bumbling idiots they are.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Wow. You're a much more patient person than I. I learned long ago to get credit approval from credit union first, then go get the rv. No problem. And much lower rates than most. Current rate is 2.29%.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Credit unions around here are 5 - 7% and have $ and term limits. Sam was 3.99. It sounded like a good deal. I'll be shopping around for new service for next year. Where is the 2.29%? I'll join!!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
Credit unions around here are 5 - 7% and have $ and term limits. Sam was 3.99. It sounded like a good deal. I'll be shopping around for new service for next year. Where is the 2.29%? I'll join!!
Barksdale fed credit union.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

way to many hands in the works...

I go to my bank.. no middle man/men/woman/company...

and YES many have had major issues with Sam's .. in every department.

last year I purchased my used truck... 2.09, local bank.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

I will never finance any big ticket item from someone I can't walk in a door and get answers face to face. Fortunately our credit union has the best rates but even if the rate was higher I would pay it for local service.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paid cash . Dropped Sam's Anyway. My Auto/Mh insurance offers same services. Haven't had the need to speak too them going on 6 years.
JS,
tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently had big problems with their insurance too (see post). Sad, not the same as when we started with them 13 years ago! I would not recommend GSC or their services to anyone.

formerly - Bama Rookie RVer
Razorback Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in Mass, but I think I can join Barksdale FCU. My company is on their list as we have offices all over the place. My local company CU is 5.99% for 6 yrs, $50K limit. I'll give them a call.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
I live in Mass, but I think I can join Barksdale FCU. My company is on their list as we have offices all over the place. My local company CU is 5.99% for 6 yrs, $50K limit. I'll give them a call.
Yes. I've been a member of lacapfcu for 20+ years and they can't touch barksdale.
I checked today's rate for autos/RVs and it was 2.9%.
Good luck.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #14

When I bought my MH recently, I got pre-approval form my credit union to purchase up to a certain amount of money. As it turns out, I found the unit I purchased at Camping World. They did everything they could to talk me into using their financing. Hearing all this I am sure glad I stuck to my guns. I must say, so far my experience with Camping world has been pretty good, a little rough at the walkthrough, but after getting a little heated with the sales manager in the showroom, the General Manager made everything right for me and even compensated me for my stress with a full tank of diesel (100 gallons)! I do know many folks who have had nothing but misery and absolutely hate them.