Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If it were you...
Itasca 67 73.63%
Fleetwood 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOleMan View Post
Am I just confused? I read your spreadsheet to say the Itasca was the less expensive??
I was thinking the same thing but just noticed that he switched the prices.

tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #16

Looks like both are over priced but I would go with the diesel at around $90K or less.
Enjoy shopping.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Looks like both are over priced but I would go with the diesel at around $90K or less.
Enjoy shopping.
They are asking $89,000 (dealer) for the Diesel; the extra $$$ comes from the tax, registration, and modifications we are wanting. I haven't made an offer yet, but the 89,000 is the pre-negotiated price. Also, that price includes a motorcycle lift which I hope I can negotiate OUT of the deal since I don't have a motorcycle.

The gasser is being asked $59,000 for (private party).
Old 12-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #18

It is really an apples and oranges comparison. I'd go with the gasser because I would be jumping though licensing hoops to get a layout I am not in love with. Really, I would keep looking.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

According to NADA Guides that '05 36 RD should be selling for around $75K or less. Check the tire date codes. Five years or older and you will be soon replacing them. Have you talked to the dealer about providing the previous owners maintenance records? Do all the toots, whistles, and doodads work? There is quite a bit of foot work in a small space to make sure everything works, and works as it should.

Dan
Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateYarbro View Post
Woah, damn. Sorry guys. I messed up my spreadsheet. lol The Prices were flipped. If that were the case, it would DEFINITELY be an obvious decision. DOH! Fixed it...
Have you driven them yet?

I would suspect, as Cooperhawk has said.. drive them both and try to tell yourself there is no difference.. there is.. and its about $33k worth of a difference

I don't know what you're planning for full-timing...
  • Are you planning on moving around vs staying in one location for long periods of time??
  • Are you planning on staying in the western part of the country (more mountainous areas)??
No matter the Gas vs Diesel argument.. when the coach is at rest, it really doesn't matter the engine.. 'cause you're not using it.. So, going with the layout that best suits your needs is always the one that works best for most people

However, having the more "muscular" chassis of a diesel.. it will allow for a more robust interior... real wood vs imitation.. better flooring.. and a better suspension system (ie air bags) will lessen the constant earthquake assault on the interior systems..

Always a tough call.. but go with the one you like best... this is not the time to be cheap.. this will be your home..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Floor plan is KING. If the floor plans were of equal liking (but I read there's a preference for the Itasca?) the second basic rule is:

Drive more, park less = advantage Diesel power.
Drive less, park more = advantage Gas power.

However...we have a Workhorse W24 powered (8.1L/Allison) RV and LOVE IT...there's no room for the engine in back with a Toy Hauler
It is SO quiet unless climbing a big hill, (which even then is not bad), VERY easy to maintain, VERY easy to get fuel - anywhere, VERY Reliable, and has a VERY smooth ride.

In fact, the Workhorse chassis is a perk over the same RV with the Ford F53 for several factors. And even now, it is a $3500 option on NADA for our RV model/year.

Finally, a gas RV does not automatically have cheaper cabinets, flooring, fixtures, etc...that is a case-by-case build question. Like our RV has all hardwood cabinets and furniture pre-made by the same companies as any DP.

But I recommend due diligence...All these things should be considered.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #22

Ok lets really get some facts that are important. The winnebago has a fiberglass roof i believe the fleetwood has rubber. The winnebago industry addressed the problem of delamination by using a product called vectrolite (?spelling) which doesn't use a luan backer so it will not delam i don't know what the fleetwood uses. That doesn't even begin to address the diff between the freightliner and workhores chassis. Air ride air brakes and engine retarded on the winnebago just for a starter. So what if i have a winnebago journey for 12 years now. Just my unbiased opinion everybody has one.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

Man, Y'all are awesome. Lots of good stuff to think about. I have not driven either one yet, I hate when people "kick the tires" so, I return the favor. Now we've got it narrowed down to 2, i'd be fine with it. The only thing that is this big and diesel I've driven was red and had sirens. lol These probably drive a bit different.

We will be driving a pretty good amount. Park for a week, drive for a day or two, park for a week, drive for a day or two, etc..

Again, thanks for all of the opinions. I greatly appreciate it.

I ran the NADA for the Itasca with the add-ons that it has and it came out to this...

If anybody cares to check it out, it is a little over halfway down the page (sorry, no direct link.

RV For Sale, Colorado Springs RV Sales, Used RV for Sale | Hickman RV
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #24

I wouldn't increase the prices of the RV's with all the add ons.... just go base price vs base price. Often times standard features are listed as options on these price guides thus base vs base price

As stated if you plan on driving a lot every year the DP is a better option.

I had a 08 Bounder 38P (Workhorse) & it's been a great RV (getting a divorce and soon to be X wife purchased it) with my only complaints are lack of power, difficulty getting gas & I would like to go farther on a tank. Most gas stations are not big RV friendly. Low overhangs & the pumps are close to the building.... especially pulling a vehicle it can be a PITA. DP's can often times go twice as far on a tank of gas & have truck stops that are easy to find & use.

I hope to snag a motorhome for myself this next spring after the divorce is done. DP is the direction I will go
Old 12-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Another thing to consider is your toad and how much it weighs.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #26

The add-ons are worthless. They were worthless when the previous owner traded it in (or however it came into the dealer's possession) and they are worthless to the new buyer .... you. Same with a new car. I had a salesman admit to me that optional accessories on an automobile are worth the money to the first buyer to satisfy his personal taste in what he was buying. But after that " ... that money's gone, gone, gone when trade in time comes" as that salesman put it.

Go to PPL's (they are a RV consignment seller) website and research their list of previously sold RV's. You may find one similar to the one you are looking at and see what it sold for. At least this will provide you with some type of guide post as to what the current value is.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, I think they are both overpriced, but maybe its the taxes and mods you mentioned.

The difference is basically the gas vs diesel chassis thing. Not just diesel engine, but suspension, transmission, rear vs front engine, weight capacity, etc. The Horizon is a substantially more capable rig. Whether that extra capability will be worth $33k to you over the next several years is harder to judge. You can tow a heftier toad, carry more gear, talk more comfortably up front, ride more comfortably everywhere, brake with less apprehension on long grades, and a host of modest pluses that add up to a more enjoyable experience (for a price). It's a choice between "good" "better", not good and no-good.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Most of those NADA add-on items don't really apply. Many of them are standard or "typical" on a Horizon. The NADA value is "as typically equipped", not just factory standard for that model. And a dealer wouldn't give you a dime extra on trade for any of those things, so why pay extra when buying?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote