Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If it were you...
Itasca 67 73.63%
Fleetwood 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #43
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If both rigs are in good shape with no defects or water damage and the floor plans suit you and your DW, then the Itasca is a better rig. There is nothing wrong with the Southwind, but I would pick the Itasca, as long as you like the floorplan.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #44
Thor Owners Club
As has been said more than a few times, the diesel wins every time.

For 10 years we owned a 32' coach with 8.1 on a Workhorse chassis, finally paid it off and then traded it in on a 40' DP with 6.7 360hp ISB. We now wonder what the heck we were thinking by not buying a diesel in the first place. The diesel really is that much better. There is no comparison.

Cruising down the highway is very pleasant when you don't have to white knuckle the steering wheel when a big rig passes by, and the only sound is that of the wind.

The only reason I know what my engine sounds like is because I have driven behind other DPs. LOL

Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #45
I'd buy the gasser all day long, take the 33k and all the money I don't have to spend to fix the diesel every time something on it breaks, and live better
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #46
The first motorhome we bought, was a Tioga, Class C. The salesman we bought it from, gave us the best advice we could have ever had. He told us we needed to buy one, to see what we really want! It wasn't a Class C, so we traded and bought a Class A Pace Arrow, the 454 was a real powerhouse, but couldn't get by any gas stations, so bought we traded and bought a new Class A, with the V-10 Ford motor, really liked the coach, but the motor still left a lot to be desired. Hills and sometimes overpasses, it had no torque, and would shift up and down constantly. Next came a '99 Discovery, with an ISB Cummins, and I was in love! What a ride, what a powerhouse, this was the first one with slides, I didn't know what I'd been missing! No shifting up and down, just power over the hills, rode her for 12 yrs. This summer, purchased an '05 Beaver, and I am in love all over again!
'05 Monaco Beaver 400 Quad SLD 400hp C-9 Caterpillar
2014 Grand Cherokee, Limited, diesel
Katie-Doberman Pinscher, Tigger, yellow Tabbycat.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #47
I would purchase the Itasca, and wouldn't look back. Keep in mind the Fleetwood trailer division filed bankruptcy a few years back and no longer in business.
Barney007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #48
To me, that motorcycle lift is a red flag item.

I am basing these observations on the linked advertisement. If it is not your coach, look over my concerns below and see if they apply to the coach you're looking at.

Can it be removed?

How was it installed: welded? bolted? by a professional? shade-tree mechanic? Were holes drilled in the frame?

If it cannot be removed, I would NEVER buy this coach if I had no use for the lift. (Even if it could simply be cut off, but that's another debate.)

Who wants 500 extra pounds (my guess on weight?) hanging off the bumper for every mile travelled? This weight is extended at the far end of the frame. Call the manufacturer and ask if a motorcycle lift can be installed there. Call the chassis maker and ask the same questions.

Who wants to walk around that thing every time they go around the coach.

Who wants to deal with that for engine access? Do your own maintenance?

Who wants that thing in the way of other stuff you might want to hang off the back? Kayak, bikes, blue tote?

Look at that extension for the trailer hitch. What kind of toad are you going to have? Yeah, 10,000 pounds is a nice tow rating, but how much are you going to have to de-rate that hitch for using this extension.

My suspicion is that the dealer cannot remove the lift without cutting/leaving holes in the frame. They are stuck with it. Someone in need of a motorcycle lift may pay a premium (maybe) for this coach. If you can deal with the lift being there, maybe you can get a deeper discount? Yeah!

There aren't many motorcyclists out there. Then again, there aren't many who want to hang their baby off the back of a motorhome.

So, this dealer is looking for the buyer who wants this floor plan, has a motorcycle and is willing to hang it back there, doesn't have a motorcycle and doesn't mind that contraption, and wants to pay NADA high retail.

If you are willing to pull the trigger, GO LOW, you may be pleasantly surprised. Then, you can pay someone to cut that thing off if that can be done feasibly. You will know it had a motorcycle lift and can live with the holes/weld marks. At resale, be prepared for an intelligent buyer to see holes/weld marks and ask questions.

Good luck.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2013 Jeep JKU Toad
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #49
Do some research on the itasca seems they might have roof problems.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #50
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
We have the Journey which is almost the same coach and it has a fiber glass roof. I clean it and seal it every couple of years and have not had a single problem.

Also with the Itasca you are eligible to attend Winnebago's Grand National Rally at the factory every summer. It is a BLAST!!
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #51
The gasser price for a 10 year old coach is suspect. On our 3,800 trip this summer I was really surprised by the lack of DP's on the road and the large number of new Ford V10's. Fifth wheels were also scarce but lots of new TT.

Lots of people need the biggest and the most room. Lots don't. Diesels as far as I'm concerned are more costly to maintain, oil and filters. Probably more expensive to work on etc., diesels can "run away" very scary, personal experience.

For those prices take your time. Look deeply into available maintenance records especially the engines. What is the condition of the appliances? Can you fix things yourself? Tire condition and cost.

Engines improve each year, both gas and diesel. Diesel engines are also becoming more and more complex with emission controls just ask VW.

Have you looked at new? Look at some new. Do you really need 37' and where do yo want to go with it. Are you an RV park person or are you a remote campsite person? R you going to put 10,000 miles per year on it or 3,000?

Motorcycle lift is with $$$$$$. Lots of people want to take their bikes. Lots of old bikers.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Nate, I looked at the Itasca ad. The lack of good basement storage is, in my opinion, a major negative (since you are planning to full-time). I agree about the lift, another major negative (IMO). I wouldn't even bother to look at the other one based on your plan.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #53
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nate Yarbro.. check your e-mail. We sent you a fairly long explanation of our experience in Colorado.

Keith & Carol
Parker, CO
2005 Beaver Monterey 36' - now sold
Indyrvfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #54
Not that this matters when buying used but I just heard that Itasca is being phased out.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #55
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not that this matters when buying used but I just heard that Itasca is being phased out.
The Itasca brand is pretty much gone for 2016...but, Winnie just acquired the holdings of Country Coach, it's brands, and properties. Winnie isn't dropping it's premium offering...it's growing
BIG Changes at Country Coach
Select Winnebago Class A Production Transitions to West Coast
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #56
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Please elaborate on this rumor . . . I've had 4 winnebago/itasca motorhomes and the only roof issue is the edge needs to be checked and sealed.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote