Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If it were you...
Itasca 67 73.63%
Fleetwood 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Please elaborate on this rumor . . . I've had 4 winnebago/itasca motorhomes and the only roof issue is the edge needs to be checked and sealed.
There is a thread on this forem with pictures of the roof coming off. And the discussion talks about having to reseal often due to a design problem. My post was to inform and let the op do his research so he want have problems like so many due when they don't. I'm not saying itasca is not good I've owned one "the edge needs to be checked and sealed".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #58

These? Looks like water damage under vent?

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Not that this matters when buying used but I just heard that Itasca is being phased out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Itasca brand is pretty much gone for 2016...

Would like to hear more about the Itasca developments and, if possible, a source cited. First I've heard of it, and I can't find anything about it online.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #60
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
Would like to hear more about the Itasca developments and, if possible, a source cited. First I've heard of it, and I can't find anything about it online.
Winnebago Phases Out Itasca; Part of 2-Year Plan | RV Business

But fear not. Winnie is a big/strong company and unlike the boutique builders, Winnie always used/uses well known and high quality vendors for systems in their RV's (parts and repair are at your local RV center)...the Itasca sub-brand was just an extension of this quality build/business model.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #61

Wow! Thanks a ton for all of the insight everybody! Well, I think everybody has convinced me that the Gasser is out of the question. I made an offer on the Itasca at 80,000 and they came back and said 87k was as low as they could go. The tires were bad on it (thanks for the heads up on that one), so I believe I'm letting that one go.

So, yesterday we went out looking again. The one we found yesterday that we really really liked was an 08 Gulfstream Crescendo Diesel with 13,000 miles. Dealer had it listed at 99,000 but was dealing. We were actually looking at a different one that was listed at 89,000 and he asked "If they were both 80,000, which would you like best. We told him the Gulfstream. He went and talked to his head honcho and said that they would offer it to us for 80,000 AND they would put new tires on it. (NADA for this one, low retail, is 77,000) It really looked like it was in awesome condition. Checked the CARFAX and didn't see anything on it. Also, it looked like it was a single owner coach.

Anyway. Thanks again for all of the advice!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lots of great response for you thus far!

If you are going to be full timing, out of the two I would personally take the DP, the benefits are well worth it. Additionally, the amenity specs are something that you will appreciate, propane, fresh water, grey and black tanks etc...

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #63

Keep looking. The prices are too high for the years and models you're looking at. Broaden your search to makes/models NLP, because they all have the same components and drivetrains.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #64

Just bought a 2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD. Great coach and extremely well built. Traded my 2011 top-of-the-line Montana. No comparison in quality with the Itasca being head and shoulders better than the Montana. That said, the Montana did have a LOT more interior storage space. Much more exterior storage space on the Itasca. Just forced me to move some items outside. Diesel is worth every penny of the difference. Just make sure and get an extended warranty. And on't let them include that cost in the amount you finance. You will be paying on the warranty for the life of the loan.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #65

inspect, Inspect, INSPECT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateYarbro View Post
Wow! Thanks a ton for all of the insight everybody! Well, I think everybody has convinced me that the Gasser is out of the question. I made an offer on the Itasca at 80,000 and they came back and said 87k was as low as they could go. The tires were bad on it (thanks for the heads up on that one), so I believe I'm letting that one go.

So, yesterday we went out looking again. The one we found yesterday that we really really liked was an 08 Gulfstream Crescendo Diesel with 13,000 miles. Dealer had it listed at 99,000 but was dealing. We were actually looking at a different one that was listed at 89,000 and he asked "If they were both 80,000, which would you like best. We told him the Gulfstream. He went and talked to his head honcho and said that they would offer it to us for 80,000 AND they would put new tires on it. (NADA for this one, low retail, is 77,000) It really looked like it was in awesome condition. Checked the CARFAX and didn't see anything on it. Also, it looked like it was a single owner coach.

Anyway. Thanks again for all of the advice!

Please PLEASE, if you are serious on this coach, make any deal contingent upon your having an INDEPENDENT inspection of the COACH and CHASSIS by a qualified inspector. They can save lots of headaches down the road. Also, it can help you to negotiate either repairs, or discount over agreed point if problems are found that were not disclosed/apparent in your walk through! Good luck on your journey!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I'm probably going to offend some people, but I would put a Gulfstream Crescendo at the very bottom of my shopping list. Condition means a lot, but the Crescendo model is not even in the same league as the Itasca, even though it is 3 years newer. It's built primarily with a low entry price in mind, and corners are cut to achieve it. You don't cut 30% off the original MSRP without losing a lot.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #67

I am really wishing you the best, but to be perfecrly homest, I would keep looking...they are both overpriced, and I really don't like dealerships...a pp transaction after you pay your mechanic 300 bucks to look it over is the play
Old 12-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateYarbro View Post
Checked the CARFAX and didn't see anything on it.
To me Carfax is worthless. There is no requirement for reporting wrecks/repairs to them and their "guarantee" only gives you back what you paid for the report.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I'd buy the gasser all day long, take the 33k and all the money I don't have to spend to fix the diesel every time something on it breaks, and live better
I agree....by the time it finances the extra $30k and extra maintenance of the diesel he will be paying twice the cost of the gasser.
Is the diesel better?..... probably but at nearly twice the cost.
>both appear to be about 25% overpriced.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #70

OP - You have started off on the right course. Going out and looking, and kicking tires, walking thru many coaches.

I'd suggest before you spend big funds, and buy a coach that is to serve you in full timing duty - to keep looking until you can develop:

> A list of 'Must Have's' and 'Nice to Have's' of both mechanical (Engine size; side radiator vs rear; tag vs non tag; IFS vs straight beam; Aqua/Hydro Hot or not; etc.) and interior/livability (Number of slides; Driver side only, or not; Kitchen in slide, or not; Interior layout; counter layout; interior storage; material choices and quality of wood working; etc.).
> We put our list of Must Have's/Nice to Have's into a spread sheet, and then each of used this to score various coaches. We awarded a single point if an item was found. And we each had up to 5 items we could choose to award up to 5 points. (So if a large galley was important to one of you, it could be awarded 5 points. Or say if Jake Compression Braking was important to one of you, it could get 5 points.) The scores were then merged together, and this gave us a pretty good impartial/emotional grading of a coach.
>We did this until we game up with a list of Manufactures/Models and model years that we felt best fit our lists of Must Have's and Nice to Have's. This became the list that we then started to do our due diligence on to shop for.
>Do not be afraid to drop years to remain within budget range, to buy the highest quality coach that you can find. Quality lasts. And a quality coach, is a good foundation to build off of or customize into making this soon to be 'home' - your coach.
>Stash aside some budget, to do catch up maintenance when you first buy it, if needed, so that you have a good baseline on where everything is from a maintenance/condition point of view.
>Having a secondary stash of budget to cover any interior modifications that you feel you want to make it your coach. (We made some pretty quick mod's on things that just had to be done now. But, we also waited a full year on some of the more expensive mod's, to be sure we felt we really wanted to do them. Many items changed in that year, from what we thought, to what we actually ended up modifying.
> Due pay for an independent inspection to be used, as mentioned earlier, as part of the negotiation process. Fluid samples analysis included.

I'll stop here, but the mentioning of gas vs DP, and then from a say grade B coach Itasca, to a possibly grade C- coach in the Gulfstream - indicates to me that you both are all over the board!

Your money and you can do with it what you want! But, going slow and steady now on the search process. Could pay grinning dividends via actual enjoyment factor ahead!

All my best to you both on your search,
Smitty