Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If it were you...
Itasca 67 73.63%
Fleetwood 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #71
Originally Posted by NateYarbro View Post
Wow! Thanks a ton for all of the insight everybody! Well, I think everybody has convinced me that the Gasser is out of the question. I made an offer on the Itasca at 80,000 and they came back and said 87k was as low as they could go. The tires were bad on it (thanks for the heads up on that one), so I believe I'm letting that one go.

So, yesterday we went out looking again. The one we found yesterday that we really really liked was an 08 Gulfstream Crescendo Diesel with 13,000 miles. Dealer had it listed at 99,000 but was dealing. We were actually looking at a different one that was listed at 89,000 and he asked "If they were both 80,000, which would you like best. We told him the Gulfstream. He went and talked to his head honcho and said that they would offer it to us for 80,000 AND they would put new tires on it. (NADA for this one, low retail, is 77,000) It really looked like it was in awesome condition. Checked the CARFAX and didn't see anything on it. Also, it looked like it was a single owner coach.

Anyway. Thanks again for all of the advice!
Obviously, the recent posters are not reading the OP's posts....he has eliminated the first two in his OP.

He is now considering a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo Diesel with 13,000 miles for $80,000 with new tires.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #72
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - You have started off on the right course. Going out and looking, and kicking tires, walking thru many coaches.

I'd suggest before you spend big funds, and buy a coach that is to serve you in full timing duty - to keep looking until you can develop:

> A list of 'Must Have's' and 'Nice to Have's' of both mechanical (Engine size; side radiator vs rear; tag vs non tag; IFS vs straight beam; Aqua/Hydro Hot or not; etc.) and interior/livability (Number of slides; Driver side only, or not; Kitchen in slide, or not; Interior layout; counter layout; interior storage; material choices and quality of wood working; etc.).
> We put our list of Must Have's/Nice to Have's into a spread sheet, and then each of used this to score various coaches. We awarded a single point if an item was found. And we each had up to 5 items we could choose to award up to 5 points. (So if a large galley was important to one of you, it could be awarded 5 points. Or say if Jake Compression Braking was important to one of you, it could get 5 points.) The scores were then merged together, and this gave us a pretty good impartial/emotional grading of a coach.
>We did this until we game up with a list of Manufactures/Models and model years that we felt best fit our lists of Must Have's and Nice to Have's. This became the list that we then started to do our due diligence on to shop for.
>Do not be afraid to drop years to remain within budget range, to buy the highest quality coach that you can find. Quality lasts. And a quality coach, is a good foundation to build off of or customize into making this soon to be 'home' - your coach.
>Stash aside some budget, to do catch up maintenance when you first buy it, if needed, so that you have a good baseline on where everything is from a maintenance/condition point of view.
>Having a secondary stash of budget to cover any interior modifications that you feel you want to make it your coach. (We made some pretty quick mod's on things that just had to be done now. But, we also waited a full year on some of the more expensive mod's, to be sure we felt we really wanted to do them. Many items changed in that year, from what we thought, to what we actually ended up modifying.
> Due pay for an independent inspection to be used, as mentioned earlier, as part of the negotiation process. Fluid samples analysis included.

I'll stop here, but the mentioning of gas vs DP, and then from a say grade B coach Itasca, to a possibly grade C- coach in the Gulfstream - indicates to me that you both are all over the board!

Your money and you can do with it what you want! But, going slow and steady now on the search process. Could pay grinning dividends via actual enjoyment factor ahead!

All my best to you both on your search,
Absolutely the best advice you could be given...

Well done Smitty !!

Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote