Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your closest call driving with MH?

I had one a couple of years ago..leaving the Smokies through Cherokee a pickup came straight at me..I am betting he was intoxicated... veered away the last second and the mirrors collided. Must have been inches clearance but missed the side of the coach. Big WHAP and a shower of glass and he was gone.
I stopped and got out, he was long gone and his mirror was the only thing he left behind. I checked for damage and ignored the impatient jerks blowing their horns behind me, but there was none.. Not even a tiny scratch in the plastic mirror housing...talk about luck, I should have bought a lottery ticket So I got in the RV and went on my way.

2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I-81 N 2 weeks ago. Rain, fog really thick. 2 deer ran out in front of me from the median heading for the shoulder. Hit brakes, horn and missed the slower one only because she flung her hindquarters out of the way at the last moment.

Once I got my heart rate back to normal & clean skivvies on, went on my way.

Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a hit from a car passing us on the right in a heavy traveled highway with cars, 18 wheelers and Jersey barriers both sides of highway.
Saw the car coming up beside us through rear camera and side mirror which was OK but he decided to cut to left in front of us and just slightly tapped the front passenger side bumper with his left rear on passing.
The slight bump caused the MH to gyrate in steering back and forth across highway as I fought to get coach under control.
The car meantime was spinning around in right hand lane and came back and hit us dead center front passenger wheel when we finally came to stop.
Needless to say 18 wheelers and cars behind us had to maneuver to avoid a pileup.
Also noticed in rear view camera the pop-up hooked behind us was doing all sorts of maneuvers.
This is one of the reasons I always lock the slides in my motor home what a mess it would have been if one had flipped out on highway.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It was a dark and rainy night...

Sounds like the start of a bad novel?

Anyway, It was dark, and raining, not the best of visability. I rarely drive the RV in these conditions, I was on my way to where the motor home would be put away for the winter and had no choice as to time of day. Anyway, as I came around a corner in the highway there was a car just pulling off to the right shoulder, all I could see was the tail lights. There was also a car coming toward me in the left lane, lights on high beam. I was concentrating on the car to the right and slowing down, not sure what he was doing. What I couldn't see, dead smack in the middle of my lane, was the medium sized buck that someone else had recently hit. I noticed it just as I was about to go over it - it was trying to get up. It was much too late for me to avoid it, the loud bangs it made as it passed under the coach clearly didn't mean anything good.

The shoulders were too narrow for me to pull over right there, there was a steep drop into a deep ditch. It was at least a 1/2 mile before I could pull over. Got out my flash light and didn't see any obvious disabling damage, so I continued on to my destination, about 30 minutes away. The next morning I got out the creeper and got underneath the coach. There was a crack in the front cap, where it rolled under the license plate (which had been destroyed) and blood all over the lowest point right behind that, the PLASTIC lower radiator tank! No cracks or leaks (drove that coach another two years, 07 Allegro on a Ford chassis). Blood and tissue on the axle beam right behind the radiator and generally a trail of blood and tissue all the way out the back, including a playing card deck sized chunk of flesh half fried on the exhaust pipe. The only other actual damage was a small dent in the gas tank, I'm guessing from his rack.

The good news is, I clearly put him out of his misery. I'm sure he wasn't going to get up after I went over him.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I had one a couple of years ago..leaving the Smokies through Cherokee a pickup came straight at me..I am betting he was intoxicated... .
It was a sports car, on the center line, causing me to edge right, costing me the main awning and one slide topper.. I put the slide topper back up when I got to Michigan. Had to carve one new part out of wood.. The main awning I also had to carve one new part and shorten it 4 feet.. Thankfully I wanted to shorten it 4 feet for other reasons so that worked out better than anticipated.

Decided the next time I have a car come onto the center line on that road.. He is going to have a problem. I just may hit the brakes instead of the mountain, come to a full stop and let him hit me.

That way... he pays.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i had to ease right over to the left lane line to get around some construction barrels. a truck overtook me on the left and we clicked mirrors. you think he could have waited for the construction area to end 50 yards later, but nooooooo. and he gave ME a dirty look!
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Two lane highway, coming around a large curve at about 40 mph. Standing on the center line was a blue heron. Those things are about as big as a 747 aircraft. The bird flew up to windshield missing it, but on his way he hit the top marker light on left side of bus. It shook the coach some. When I got parked later, I could see that the marker plastic lens was out of position but with luck was able to slide it back into casing. Had bird come thru windshield, and hit us in face, I might have had to have some surgery.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going North out of the Keys just South of Miami about midnight on the toll road. Had a car coming right at us going wrong way on hiway (he must have been drunk), no other traffic so we had no problem trying to avoiding him, we ended up on the grass on the right side about 10 feet off the pavement down to about 25 mph and he just missed us, maybe 2 feet, he was still going fast and was off the pavement too. Said a little prayer, thanked God, tried to call police but couldn't get through on "911"
1996 HR Endeavor LE, 5.9 Cummins 230hp
Hartford, WI
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We normally drive about 60 - 62 mph and allow plenty of distance in front of us in case we have to stop quickly. We also have brakes on the toad. We were on a trip to Alaska and came upon an old 1930 vintage touring car with a license from North Carolina. He liked to drive about 45 mph in the 60 mph speed zones. Occasionally he could work up to about 50 and slower on the hills. He had a huge line of cars and RVs behind him and would not pull off at any of the turnouts. Finally, he pulled off the road to the right. I slowed down and was about to go past him when he pulled out into the highway lane again and stopped! I slammed on the brakes and for the first time ever slid all my wheels getting stopped. I did get stopped and did not hit him but boy did it get my heart to beating! He then turned left into a viewpoint turn out as though nothing had ever happened. Surprisingly, as we were returning from Alaska in the late summer, we came across him again in British Columbia and he was driving just as slowly and holding up traffic just as much. He still wasn't pulling over when he had a backup. We got by him safely this time. I just can't imaging how he got safely clear across the country on our Interstates.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
25 years ago had new BMW and horrors, towing a popup. Just coming into Breezewood PA around a blind curve. Went from 55 (or so) to dead stopped traffic in mere seconds. First time having a car with ABS and it worked flawlessly.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Last week we were driving the motorhome up I-85 just southwest of Atlanta. The highway was three lanes wide and we were in the right lane at 64 mph. The center lane was empty and the left lane had a concrete barrier just a few feet to the left.

A car in the left lane passed us and once about 30 feet in front of us the car hit an alligator (a truck tire reread). I heard a loud noise and saw the front of the car fly off and the car veered left and slammed head on into the barrier at about 70-75 mph. Then the car was sliding sideways in front of us and beside us. I had about 1/2 second to make a decision and I cut to the right going on the median and floor-boarded it. Of course it takes a motorhome a long time to speed up so I'm sure that didn't help. We were afraid the car would hit the side of our motorhome or the CR-V.

Somehow the car missed us and I looked in the side view mirror and about a dozen vehicles had locked their brakes and were sliding all over the interstate. I don't know how many crashed, but there had to be several involved in an accident.

The entire thing happened so fast I didn't have time to think - only react. Linda immediately call 911 and reported the accident(s) and a mile down the road we stopped on the side of the interstate. We had to stop and think about what happened. Right after we stopped there were 6 emergency vehicles head down the other side of the interstate - 4 police cars and 2 EMS units, and I'm sure more emergency vehicles were coming from the other direction.
2005 Dutch Star 4015
Cummins ISL
2007 Honda CR-V
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
A few years ago we were driving north on I-15 in Idaho at about 65 mph when two motorcycles passed us and pulled back in front of us. Then I realized the cycle in the rear was down and sliding right in front of our motorhome. I slammed on the brakes (thank goodness for ABS and a Brake Buddy) and the cycle stayed about 15 feet in front of the motorhome as we both were stopping at the same pace. My brother in law was following us and he panic stopped safely and a semi beside us took to the median safely.

We jumped out of the motorhome and found the rider was a woman about 45 years old. She was properly dressed and her leather jacket and pants were totally worn away and her helmet was destroyed, but it saved her. And to think we almost killed her by running over her.

We got her in the motorhome and my wife (retired register nurse) checked her over and found she was OK - just small cuts and bruises. About 15 minutes after the accident we saw her husband coming down the interstate at 100 mph. He had ridden several miles before realizing his wife was not behind him.

That is the closest I have come to killing someone.
2005 Dutch Star 4015
Cummins ISL
2007 Honda CR-V
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was returning to atlanta, Ga. from Panama City Beach, Fla. We were going north on US231. two cars, one following the other, flew around us. (US231 is a undivided four lane) When they got about 50 ft. in front of me, they saw a orange fruit stand on the right. They both pulled in front of me and slammed on the brakes. I still can't believe I was able to stop a couple of feet before hitting them. That is the maddest I have ever been at two jerks.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
I had stopped at a t-intersection just north of SF and was starting my right turn. A semi came around the corner to our left and blew through the stop sign at warp speed, DW screamed and I almost filled my skivvies. If we had not been in the merge lane I wouldn't be writing this.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote