RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My exit plan is to sell the stick house, load my 6 cats and I into the MH and see where the roads take us.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #16

We started full timing at age 55 with a plan to travel until age 70, then settle down with a house on small acreage and a couple of chickens to feed or a maint free condo. It will depend on our health and ambition at that time.

grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #17

Thank you for all of your replies. They do run the gamut. From planning on not having a plan to thinking about having a plan to actually having a plan (tentatively). I guess this "let things happen as it may"philosophy runs deep in the rving community. I guess this is why everyone is so laid back and ready to help when help is needed. I am strung a little more tight. And the DW is even more so. But this will not stop us from hitting the road full time by this time next year and part time before then.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #18

when we full time in about 5-6 yrs from now, we will sell the house and land and hit the road. after that exit plan is find an apt or condo or home (depending on health status etc) and find a place to land. Nice thing is we can determine the location thru our travels. Our next permanent spot will be exactly where we want to be with all that we love in a location. Nice to have this option in life to find our permanent final spot to roost when needed.

Some people feel their roots are already set in an area but for us the minute we land somewhere we want and love, then our roots will take hold fast, new life and new adventures
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #19

Have enough in the bank that, should it suddenly become necessary to come out of the RV for health reasons, family emergencies, etc, you can purchase some type of residence (condo, townhouse, etc) to live in. Do not sell the current home and drop all that into the RV and RVing lifestyle, it will come back to haunt you. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a $1.5 million dollar Class A to full time in. Keep it reasonable. Workamp to pay the small expenses along the way. It can be done, but it takes planning and restraint.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We didn't feel it was right for us to retire before we had the resources to not only pay for our retirement fun years, but also have some kind of plan for when we couldn't live full time in our RV.

We would have loved to have started earlier than we did at 65 yrs old but that is how long it took us to get there. We both feel that it simply isn't right to burden our children with having to take care of us in our old age when they really have earned the right to be out enjoying their own retirement.

I did a little video on your youtube channel discussing this very subject it you would like to watch it.

Bob & Pearl
www.youtube.com/justpassingthru
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #21

Our exit plan is when either one of us gets tired of full timing we will settle down and buy a house again. Also in our plan is to reevaluate each year if we still want to keep doing this. We are coming up on our 1 year anniversary of full timing next month. We've already had the discussion, keep going! Our entrance plan to full timing was NOT to use money from the sale of our house for anything, especially for paying for our RV and truck, we're saving that to pay for our downsized retirement house when we decide to give up the road. We live debt free and don't plan on changing that! We have saved hard for retirement since we were in our 20s. We are now enjoying the fruits of our saving.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.howard View Post
We decided that life is short and we are not guaranteed tomorrow. Had some friends that waited until retirement to do anything like an RV or to travel. She contracted cancer about a year before retirement and passed before 65. Why wait for "maybe"? We decided that since our health is good and we are still able to do things we would get a Class A and enjoy life. If you sit on your assets until you die, then believe you me, someone else will spend them. Enjoy what you have and do not be scared of what life "might" bring. JMHO.

This is pretty much our philosophy as well. We have helped our kids out a lot financially up to this point. Itís time for ďusĒ now. Even have the license plate on the motorhome that says ďWe are spending our kids inheritanceĒ and you know what, we are.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #23

We've been liquidating/downsizing over the past 5 years. Just bought our retirement home in PCB. It's small but 2 blocks from the beach and two blocks the other way to a boat ramp. I'm retired now and she will be in less than a year. We owe nothing on anything, and give praise to God for that ability. We will hit the road for a year or so mostly full time...maybe longer...depends on how things go. I may downsize the RV after a few years but sure like the big space now. I can't see not having a brick and mortar home to go back to occasionally for the down time. I think a 50/50 lifestyle of Beach Bungalow Bums and RV Roadies will work fine for us. Besides, owning property along the Gulf Coast beach is a much better investment than it sitting in the bank. Hopefully the "market" will continue to take care of the rest. I would hate to have a major, extended issue with the MH and not have an out, other than having to stay extended with family or friends.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #24

Our plans are to hope for the best and plan for the worst. I do not see us full timing right now, but being out 2 to 3 months at a time is certainly a possibility. Our House is our biggest asset right now, worth a decent amount more than most not all motorhomes. Family ties will keep us close to here for the next decade or so. The motorhome is not new, but we are working to make it very dependable and restored inside and out. It is paid for and if we get another one it will be too. I am currently retired with a nice pension, but I am still working part time. I already have another job that sought me out when I stop the current one at the end of this year. The DW is a well respected professional who currently works part time but is recruited by others for pretty much full time hours. She hopes to retire in about 6 years, but I don't see her not being in demand for years to come. Our exit plan includes 401k's and IRA's for my wife and my pension for both of us. A vacation house that will probably be sold at some point, to many stairs! It also includes long term care and disability policies if we get to the point we can not or do not want to continue on the road or in a S&B. Neither of us want to be a burden on anyone. We have older family members now that will soon have to go to assisted living facilities. One is fighting it hard, but I can not say that I will not also if that time ever comes.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #25

What is your exit plan?

6 years F/T, always dreamed of the supreme freedom!
Exit? Pshaw!
The best plan is no plan! Donít let the billboards and commercials fool you. The REAL gems are the ones you stumble into!
The Journey is Our Destination. There are adventures and many wonders for us to yet discover!
Nobody can see enough of this continent before dying. Thatís what tour busses are for when you ainít road worthy!
We will F/T until we cannot, or change our minds.
Renting an apartment means we can leave bad neighbors!
Until then, we will continue to follow the Rainbow!
Donít be wimpy.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote