Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
kat_nda_sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 813
Its a joke and just
because maybe you
wouldn't consider no
alcohol roughing it,
we're all entitled to
our own opinions.
__________________

__________________
Never criticize a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes... then you're a mile away & you've got their shoes!
Katina, Dave & kiddos ~ '97 Thor Residency 35'
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar
Now this is roughing it, 2010 October 3 Caribou Wilderness
at Triangle Lake, 23 Degrees day temp, 9 Degrees at night.
camping in a tent, if you are in a RV your not roughing it.
I backpack with my brother once a year for a week.
we just had some bad weather,we had warm clothing so
it was ok, we had fun.
I "camped" like that in Bosnia for 4 months. Not by choice though so I would say that's roughing it. Never mind the shooting and all.
__________________

__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
Sorry, though this thread was about, (what is your
idea of roughing it). didn't know it was about dumb
and dumber

Lighten up, Francis.
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I "camped" like that in Bosnia for 4 months. Not by choice though so I would say that's roughing it. Never mind the shooting and all.
Thank you for your service to our country.
I had not thought to consider my days in the USMC as camping or roughing it, but as you pointed out, they were. My tour included camping in the Saudi desert for Desert Shield, and the Kuwati Desert for Desert Storm and Desert Calm.

Roughing it - NO running water for months = helmet baths. Had to carry cans of water from water tank trucks or water 'bull' trailers for our consunption. When we did finally get running water, it was pipes with shower heads over pallats with no HOT water or walls. Damn COLD that January day but I needed that shower! Improvised toilet was ammo crate with sides removed stood on end, and tape to prevent splinters! NO stalls - I know how the dog feels when it goes and everyone is looking! There were no trees to go behind either.
__________________
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper
Thank you for your service to our country.
I had not thought to consider my days in the USMC as camping or roughing it, but as you pointed out, they were. My tour included camping in the Saudi desert for Desert Shield, and the Kuwati Desert for Desert Storm and Desert Calm.

Roughing it - NO running water for months = helmet baths. Had to carry cans of water from water tank trucks or water 'bull' trailers for our consunption. When we did finally get running water, it was pipes with shower heads over pallats with no HOT water or walls. Damn COLD that January day but I needed that shower! Improvised toilet was ammo crate with sides removed stood on end, and tape to prevent splinters! NO stalls - I know how the dog feels when it goes and everyone is looking! There were no trees to go behind either.
I did Desert Shield/Storm as well- funny when the wind gets to going there is almost no such thing as Gravity! I remember all my field time very well! Looking back, I wouldn't trade it for anything! (unless someone wants to trade for a new Diesel Pusher- then I'm in )Lots of fun memories! (burning you know what with mogas and diesel) Thanks for your service as well.
__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Wolfpack Fan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I did Desert Shield/Storm as well- funny when the wind gets to going there is almost no such thing as Gravity! I remember all my field time very well! Looking back, I wouldn't trade it for anything! (unless someone wants to trade for a new Diesel Pusher- then I'm in )Lots of fun memories! (burning you know what with mogas and diesel) Thanks for your service as well.
To my brethren that served in Desert Storm. Thank you, and I'm glad you're here today! Me too. The wind and the sand and the 1 foot visability that came with it........... Oh my gosh! close the ejection port cover on the M16 quick. Still needed cleaning afterwards, but not as bad.

The shower situation. Sorry guys, I didn't have it so bad there. I built and maintained a shower point for the 507th Trans Group out of Fort Bragg. I provided hot showers for about 600 folks a day. I was a popular guy to say the least. The burning of the stuff in our black tanks? I got it done, but I didn't do it. Every day the 1SG sent me a detail of 1 or 2 guys. One got to burn stuff, the other got to clean immersion heaters that heated the shower water. 2 cans of diesel and 1 can of JP4 mixed up with the sh.................(well you know) to make a nice pudding like consistency burned nicely. Only had to be stirred about every 20 minutes or so. The guy that was on burn detail got to stir. It's a pretty simple task that doesn't really require a lot of training. There it is, here's the stick, don't let the fire go out and at the end of the day, show me a can of ash. Get busy soldier!

Would I do it again. Nahhh! I'd rather go camping in the motor home.
__________________
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan

To my brethren that served in Desert Storm. Thank you, and I'm glad you're here today! Me too. The wind and the sand and the 1 foot visability that came with it...........Oh my gosh! close the ejection port cover on the M16 quick. Still needed cleaning afterwards, but not as bad.

The shower situation. Sorry guys, I didn't have it so bad there. I built and maintained a shower point for the 507th Trans Group out of Fort Bragg. I provided hot showers for about 600 folks a day. I was a popular guy to say the least. The burning of the stuff in our black tanks? I got it done, but I didn't do it. Every day the 1SG sent me a detail of 1 or 2 guys. One got to burn stuff, the other got to clean immersion heaters that heated the shower water. 2 cans of diesel and 1 can of JP4 mixed up with the sh.................(well you know) to make a nice pudding like consistency burned nicely. Only had to be stirred about every 20 minutes or so. The guy that was on burn detail got to stir. It's a pretty simple task that doesn't really require a lot of training. There it is, here's the stick, don't let the fire go out and at the end of the day, show me a can of ash. Get busy soldier!

Would I do it again. Nahhh! I'd rather go camping in the motor home.
Thank you as well!
2 cans of diesel and 1 of JP4! You guys must have been burning for a whole bunch of folks!

Someone had to be in the rear with the gear and hot showers! no offense! The whole thing leap frogged so fast the helicopters couldn't even keep up! Should have kept going north then and we wouldn't have lost so many these last ten years.
__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
kalynzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northridge, Ca
Posts: 751
Having to settle for yellow mustard!
Actually, anything less than full hookup with WiFi and cable is ruffing it. Additionally I look for grass or shade trees and a beautiful view.
Happy Trails
__________________
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Wolfpack Fan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Thank you as well!
2 cans of diesel and 1 of JP4! You guys must have been burning for a whole bunch of folks!

Someone had to be in the rear with the gear and hot showers! no offense! The whole thing leap frogged so fast the helicopters couldn't even keep up! Should have kept going north then and we wouldn't have lost so many these last ten years.
I totally agree with you bro! If the politicians would have kept their nose's out of it and let General Schwarzkoph finish his business, our boy's and girls probably wouldn't be in that giant litter box today.
__________________

__________________
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.