Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We love both our small dogs, a Westie, and a Westie cross. They are happy campers. I researched the West Highland White Terrier extensively before we found her. I was so charmed by the breed, looks, coat that doesn't shed, personality, intelligence, that I just had to have one. We have not been disappointed for a minute in our choice. I hope you can find a dog friend who is as perfect a match for you as ours is for us.

Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
I agree on the Miniature Schnauzer. Wonderful dogs, so are Westies, but I have to add Jack Russel's to the mix (if you're experienced with terriers/super intelligent dogs that might be a bit of a challenge to handle when they're young??). Or rescue an older Jack. No better companion available....

If you're going purebred, suggest you look into known health issues so you're prepared ahead of time.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a English Springer Spaniel, he'll keep you plenty active!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I perfer pets that are large enough to take care of theirselves.

Do they use the flush toilet and fix their own dinner etc. etc., or what???
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
Two Westies and one Scottie. The "kids" as I call them, are RV ready at all times. Great travelers and pretty easy on upkeep. No problems with hair in the coach. Leave the A/C and the TV on and they are set for the day. The "Kids" get excited and won't leave my feet once they see the Rv in the driveway. One of them even gets her favorite toy and will sit by the door ready to go.
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
Traveling with Westies, Max, Ellie and new addition Sophie.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #20

WESTIE..... We jst started rving in November, our Westie is 11 years old, so was not sure how he would do...... He loves it.... Has never had an accident and we have been out total of 5 months... Super traveler, BUT he does not like being left alone, so where we go, so does he... He has walked the streets of Tombstone, Key West, Niagara Falls, and many cities in between, and he has swum in every river and lake along the way, and the gulf and Atlantic ocean.... Has dealt with sand and snow.... He has bth a basket on DH bike back carrier and a bike trailer, And he has a zip line in the jeep wrangler that attaches to his harness when we have top and sides off... He has been a perfect rv doggy.... I gave had numerous breeds, but I am a West Highland White Terrier worshipper now...... LOL, oh and he told my DH when he was having a heart attack 5 years ago and saved his life... This dog is a lifesaver....
Diane & Larry, (RVM64) our Westies LitaBit & QTπ
(Diwizi)retired educator,watercolor artist / (Zeelarry)ARMY ret
2016 BerkshireXL 40RB, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
The only dog I was ever bitten by was a Miniature Schnauzer. It was at a campground a few years ago. She was not on a leash and crossed the road to get to me. The owner said she had never done anything like that before. At least the dog had her shots. I got 2 stitches in my big toe.
Have Flyrod Will Travel
87 Coachman Leprechaun
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
My miniature schnauzer has been my travel buddy since she was a couple months old. Recently I found a lhaso apso mix frm the human society. He too has been a gray travel companion.
Kaexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by ischua View Post
The only dog I was ever bitten by was a Miniature Schnauzer. It was at a campground a few years ago. She was not on a leash and crossed the road to get to me. The owner said she had never done anything like that before. At least the dog had her shots. I got 2 stitches in my big toe.
You must have looked at him wrong or something, because most MS I know are quite friendly and inquisitive.

It seems that the consensus is a small, terrier-type doggie that doesn't shed (yes, MS is in the terrier family). Like most breeds, if you train them right, they'll be perfect companions. Mine are ALWAYS ready to hop on the MH or boat, ready to go at a moment's notice.

The reason I'm a big fan of the breed is that not many dogs have its looks: the beard, the bushy eyebrows and those eyes are what won me over. Their somewhat comical looks always bring a smile to my face, and their intelligence are amazing. One of my dogs knows about 10 different tricks, and she always seems to want to please me no matter what time of day or night.

Research the breed and the breeders if you're interested. I guarantee that you WON'T be disappointed....

Lou & Cheri - Pilot & Copilot
Aly & Susi - Miniature Schnauzer Navigator & Bombadier
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27 - CG-1 Bomber
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Ford Super Duty Owner

we got ours at the shelter worth a billion $ loves to travel by car motorhome plane ect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	379860_242627989126583_105454312843952_707957_930830725_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	24319  
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
i agree with a rescue dog under twenty pounds, we got ours several years ago he is a pug/jack russel/traveling man mutt and the smartest dog we have ever owned. i swear he is grateful for being rescued.
loves to go camping great manners as long as you don't touch the better half the he becomes a Tasmanian devil other then that he is wonderful
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
We were in an RV park at the harbor in Newport Oregon the first week of December, I think it was 2007. 60 mph winds and the rain was coming down at a 45* angle. Awnings were being blown off the MHs even when rolled up. My wife and I and our 2 cats were sitting in our MH, nice and comfy, watching people walk their dogs. I rest my case.
wackymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
Big Dogs Rule

Okay guys have to speak up for the big fellas. The DW and I travel with Bucc the Wonder Dog and he is a great travel companion not to mention the best protector of us and the RV that we could hope for. Oh yeah Bucc is a two year old 160lb Bull Mastiff pup and we love him to death. Some shedding and mild drooling but the DW and I are clean freaks so we clean both Bucc and the RV on a regular schedule. LoL please pick the doggy friend that makes life more fun day to day.
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
We were on our sailboat on Corpus Christi Bay one morning and heard a lot of rapid splashing, looked over the side and there was a long legged brindle who knows what doggie paddeling alongside. we hauled her aboard, could not find anyone missing her around. Christi has been with us 6 years now, a 75 lb (vet says) Akita, pointer mix, she can't wait to jump in the motor home. We've always found a good dog finds you.

ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote