Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Wife recommends King Charles Spaniel. Smaller, live in smaller spaces, gentle, lower exercise requirements.
P.S. she is a Vet.
We have 2 Boykin Spaniels but need LOTS of running and swimming. We ride in Ralphie's Bus.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
We don't have a dog at the present time, but have around dogs all of our lives. My advice for a motor home owner - - a dog that does not shed and a dog that does not yelp obnoxiously (training is the key hear). I've been around too many dogs that carpet a home with hair. I can't believe how bad a motor home would look with hair in every nook and cranny. JMHO
This is such great advice. I am always amazed how much fur our one dog and one cat produce and shed all year long.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
I hope this question about dogs and motorhomes will help me and my DW help us select a dog that is right for motorhome travel. I have always had big dogs, (Labs)and lots of land for them to run on. Now we have a motorhome. Our last dog was a big black lab and she passed away a couple of years ago and I just didn't want another dog right away. Well now is the time to get a new dog and I would like some imput from this community on what kind of dogs adapt well to the close quarters and such. I am sure I don't want another big dog now and so I ask this question. What kind of dog has worked for you and your wife in a Class A motorhome. thanks for any help you can give..
Shih Tzu would be my breed of choice. I have very dear close friends that have one that traveled full time with them for about 5 years, he kind of grew up in the coach and loves to travel. He is the most loved, stable, secure little boy I know, even better than any of my kids.

My Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu mix LOVE to go get in the coach...no matter what is going on, they love to go! They love to be out on the road.

In fairness, my experience has only been with 4 breeds: Shih Tzu / Lhasa Apso / Yorkshire Terrier / Silky Terrier / Poodle

I believe no matter what breed you select, if he or she is young, he or she will be the best traveling companion you can imagine!

Best wishes and travels to you!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Shih Tzu would be my breed of choice. I have very dear close friends that have one that traveled full time with them for about 5 years, he kind of grew up in the coach and loves to travel. He is the most loved, stable, secure little boy I know, even better than any of my kids.

My Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu mix LOVE to go get in the coach...no matter what is going on, they love to go! They love to be out on the road.

In fairness, my experience has only been with 4 breeds: Shih Tzu / Lhasa Apso / Yorkshire Terrier / Silky Terrier / Poodle

I believe no matter what breed you select, if he or she is young, he or she will be the best traveling companion you can imagine!

Best wishes and travels to you!
X2 on Shih Tzu. My Buddy is going on 14 and has been Rving for 11 years. They don't shed and he didn't learn how to bark until last year. We've traveled over 84,000 miles together.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #47

Mack, "The Killer Cock-a-Poo" is great as navigator.

One bark = Left

Two barks = right

Three or more = Petsmart Store in view.

Another vote for non-shedding breed of your choice.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
A stuffed toy dog sits nicely on the dash and is low maintenance.

This is the only kind we will have. Over the years, we've had two dogs with our RVs. ALL dogs are a royal PITA...have to walk them, rain, sleet, snow 115 degrees, makes no difference; they track in dirt, leaves, sand, other dogs poo, they shed, tear up things, etc. Want a pet...get a cat, bird, fish, etc. Every time the weather is nasty and we are sitting in our MH and some poor guy (normally it's the guy) goes by walking his dog...I'm glad we don't have one any more.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #49

IMHO, size doesn't matter. Since you've decided on a pound puppy, pick one you have a connection with, we have always had rescue dogs, and you can feel the potential for bonding almost immediately. Mutts Rule.
....I'm still on my last dog.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #50

Think about a stuffed one. No poop to scoop, no food to fix, no vet bills for the sob, no yaps at night, no walks to take, no flees to bite.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #51
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks
Think about a stuffed one. No poop to scoop, no food to fix, no vet bills for the sob, no yaps at night, no walks to take, no flees to bite.
Yep, the perfect pet.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #52
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320

This is the only kind we will have. Over the years, we've had two dogs with our RVs. ALL dogs are a royal PITA...have to walk them, rain, sleet, snow 115 degrees, makes no difference; they track in dirt, leaves, sand, other dogs poo, they shed, tear up things, etc. Want a pet...get a cat, bird, fish, etc. Every time the weather is nasty and we are sitting in our MH and some poor guy (normally it's the guy) goes by walking his dog...I'm glad we don't have one any more.
This would perfectly fit the criteria for any pet. Great insight
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #53

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Get a poodle! They come in all sizes, shapes and colors. They do not shed, smart, loyal and they are very eager to please. We wouldn't have any other kind of dog. There is a reason that so many breeders are trying to improve breeds by mixing other kinds of dogs with poodles. Why not skip the middleman and just get one!

LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Find the nearest shelter and let one pick you. My Little 35lb mix breed (see avatar) has been the best traveling companion I could ever imagine. Our Mini Doxie and Chihuahua/doxie mix are a close 2nd.
As a shelter volunteer, I can applaud this suggestion. I'm not a dog person (I work with the cats), but if I were, at any given time there are four or five dogs at our shelter that I think would work out well. You might even want to take the motorhome to the shelter and try to bring the dogs inside it. That will tell you a lot, right away.

If you came to our shelter, that's what I would suggest to you, if you told me you were looking for a traveling companion.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
laj

Yes, but their all so damn cute, tails waggin
All want a new home, hard to choose.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
But no kisses & unconditional love!!