Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Havanesse. Just the right size at 13#. Loves to travel. Doesn't shed. We actually found him at a breeder. He was 4 years old and was done showing and breeding. Came with all the papers and history. Breeders are just another place to search.

John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #58
I full-time with two Basset Hounds. They shed. They drool. They smell if their ears aren't kept clean. They weigh 58 lbs and 50 lbs, neither of them are fat. They require exercise which means I get exercise. I had to buy special stairs (Pet Loader) for them and it's turned out to be good for me too. Yep, they can be a bother sometimes. Would I travel without them? Nope. They're great clowns, friendly with other dogs and protective of me, you can ask the guy missing half of the calf of one leg. I'm shy and it's hard meeting people. They are people magnets and have eliminated that problem. Best of all, they are rescue dogs. And just in case anyone is wondering about all that fur laying around, I have found THE BEST vacuum for that problem. It's a Bissell Power Groom Compact. It has rubber teeth on the revolving brush and really gets the hair up. It's quite compact, fits in my closet. I've never seen anything like it and wish I had had one when I was living in a stix and brix.

Also wanted to mention there are thousands of dog parks located around the country. "There's an app for that" which makes it easy to find parks near a CG. A good run with plenty of socialization makes for very happy travel companions.

Happy and safe travels all!

2001 Dutch Star
2007 Explorer
Waddles With Winslow | Home – test | Page: 1 (a work in progress)

Waggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #59
What a fun topic.

I've had a range of dogs too. The Miniature Schnauzer was one of my hands down favorite dogs. A close second have been the Bichon Frises who have shared my life over the past 20 some years. Growing up with had larger hunting breeds and they were marvelous, but if you go that route, buy from a HUNTER and NOT from a show kennel unless they are avid hunters! I spent 15 years showing dogs and the breeder who actually USES the dogs, like Springer Spaniels that are bred for bird hunting by someone who avidly hunts, will have kept the nice temperament and calm traveling traits better than the people who ONLY compete with the dogs in shows, where being happy and UP are more important than being quiet and calm as in the field.

Yes, people who breed and show will object to that last paragraph, but it has been my personal observation having lived with and around hunting breeds that what the breeders FAVORITE activity with their dogs happens to be will be extremely important to what they produce in their breeding programs.

I love obedience and agility more than the show ring-- so I bred champions who were unusually trainable for the breed. A friend just recently put a MACH on a pup(well, she isn't young anymore!) from our second to last litter.

It is like any other choice, what do you need? Exercise, or do you love brushing a dog? Wash and wear coat or something else? Dogs who love to run, or a quiet lap dog? Do you mind drool? Do you like a dog that is quiet inside but loves to go running?

For example, a sighthound is good for a runner/jogger. They love to run, but inside they prefer to get comfortable and sleep, they have an easy coat, and a loud bark. Not the brainiest of dogs, they make up for that lack with a willing temperament that tries hard to be a good companion. Can you tell I also loved the sighthound we shared our home with?

And good old mutts can be marvelous pets, as can purebreds that ended up in a shelter or rescue. Source is less important than knowing your own needs.

My next dog will be a Giant Schnauzer. I love the hard coat, so I know I will be looking for more German bloodlines, and I enjoy obedience training and may go back to putting obedience titles on my dogs. Even if we don't compete, I love a highly trained dog because a dog solid on the basic obedience, i.e. companion dog (CD), is just a better buddy!

hmmm, my enthusiasm for dogs is getting ahead of my belief in shorter posts being better! LOL!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #60
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Thanks for all the responses. On the hunt now for a new dog. So many choices. It will be a rescue dog for sure. No need to fund a puppy mill.
Not all breeders are puppy mills. There are fine breeders out there who insist on soundness of body and temperament and health test for everything before permitting a dog to breed.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #61

Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Owners of this breed call them "45 MPH Couch Potatoes"...
There is a reason most owners have two. They are so good, you can't have just one!
LOL! So true! I had a largish whippet and he took up so little space when he curled up it was amazing. He was a clean, quiet, willing companion. Nice when I was reading, and willing to instantly be up to go when I chose to grab a leash.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #62
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
We have a Havanesse. Just the right size at 13#. Loves to travel. Doesn't shed. We actually found him at a breeder. He was 4 years old and was done showing and breeding. Came with all the papers and history. Breeders are just another place to search.
Most of the good breeders I know really like to place retired dogs into pet homes so they can be onlies or only one of two. Unlike commercial breeders whose dogs support them, the majority of the fine breeders I know must live closer to work so as to earn the money that supports the dogs and so cannot keep so many. Retired show dogs tend to travel well and are extremely well socialized and stable.

Another option is if you are willing to keep a finished champion male intact so they don't lose the genetics. A friend of mine just loves her gorgeous boy and knows that down the road, she will get her next dog from the same breeder and have one of her lovely boy's grandsons to love. Also, her dog's breeder pet sits when needed.

It is another option, along side shelters, as a place where people have gotten pets that work out well.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #63
We travel with 2 American Bulldogs Zeus 7 years travels great does NOT bark. Juno 10 months lots of puppy energy ONLY barks when we pull up after being out a few hours. They do not bark at other dogs or people. After a couple of days they are the most popular dogs in the CG because they have been socialized with animals and people. Now they are big dogs 100# and 60#. Zeus sleeps at teh foot of our bed at night, Juno in her crate. Don't shy away from big dog just that much more to love.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
I hope this question about dogs and motorhomes will help me and my DW help us select a dog that is right for motorhome travel. I have always had big dogs, (Labs)and lots of land for them to run on. Now we have a motorhome. Our last dog was a big black lab and she passed away a couple of years ago and I just didn't want another dog right away. Well now is the time to get a new dog and I would like some imput from this community on what kind of dogs adapt well to the close quarters and such. I am sure I don't want another big dog now and so I ask this question. What kind of dog has worked for you and your wife in a Class A motorhome. thanks for any help you can give..
We have two and travel extensively, 6 months out of the year. The "girls". Love the MH. Golden retriever, 8, border collie 6. No problems like the lab they do not like a mess around them. The border collie is female, and has a better IQ than most people! Like living with Einstein. Border collie gets my vote very minimal shedding as DW gives them both Springer Spaniel cuts
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #65
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is our traveling companion. Low maintenance, never sheds and doesn't need walked in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-687972953.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	24387  
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #66
Monaco Owners Club
Go to a dog show (a large one), watch the dogs, talk to the owners (after they have shown their dogs, not before or during).....it's a great place to see breeds you might not have known about. I personally would make sure the breed has good hips (breeder should have the hips certified by the way OFA or PENNHIP) because of the stairs in a motorhome. It will matter is the "older" years. Have fun!

I have English Springer Spaniels, they do require grooming and they are a nice compact size. Very friendly, good with kiddos and other dogs. Buy from a good reputable breeder NOT a pet shop. JMHO

pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #67
We have had two Airdale Terriers. Our second one just passed away a couple of months ago and when I get done mourning for her we will get our third Airdale. Our last loved to RV. She was lots of work and worth it. She was about 55 lbs. They are not small and not big. One giant advantage of the breed for motor homing is they do not shed.

I have almost bought my dogs from a good quality breeder who specializes in that breed. IMHO getting an AKC recognized breed gives you some kind of idea what you will end up with as far as temperament and size. Most people love their dogs. So many will tell you that their breed is best. Me second choice for our next dog would be a standard Schnauzer. They are close to the Airdale in size, do not sheed, and are a bit more of a serious breed.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #68
I know that the breeds to avoid are the terrier ones like a Jack Russell. A dog like the Corgi is very even tempered but it is also prone to back injuries and going up and down the steps of an RV will be a problem.

I would go for a cocker spaniel and poodle mix or similar combination. With a pure bred dog both the positive and negative attributes are accentuated. With a smallish mixed breed you have a 25-30 lb. dog that is able to go anywhere with ease, not likely to be a barker, and a good companion.

There are breeds that are by design barkers, like beagles and hounds that were bred to hunt in packs. Don't get a cute little beagle pup and then get annoyed when it barks for the next 10 years.

In terms of pure bred dogs I myself would get something like a sheltie which being a herding dog is very attentive to its owner and will not head off into the woods on a scent trail and come back a day or two longer the way a hunting breed will do, which includes labs.

I like to look at all the pups in a litter and see which ones are attentive to people in the room and which ones come forward for attention and which ones cower in the back and which ones have no idea of what is going on. I go for the attentive ones that want to interact with people.

The breeds that are easiest to live with are the herding breeds followed by retrievers and the worst (relatively speaking) are the hunting breeds. There are small dogs that are ratters and good guard animals that have an even temperament like the Shipperke which were breed for use on canal barges in Belgium. They are excellent swimmers by the way.

Smaller breeds generally live much longer than the larger breeds of dogs, often twice as long, but that also means a longer time period when they are likely to require the care of a vet. A lab is lucky to make it to 10 years of age while a Jack Russell will often live 15 years or longer - which is both good and bad. A small breed pup is likely to be able to travel with you for 10 years before it becomes a problem in terms of their age and health and mobility.

Something to consider for RV living is that some breeds by virtue of their long coats and sometimes double coats have a hard time dealing with 90 degree days. Dogs only throw off heat through their tongue and a dog like a Keeshond is going to be miserable six or more months of the year or like a friend's dog, stay firmly planted under the AC units blower for the duration of the summer.

With all breeds they need access to full shade and water while camping.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #69
We have a Minature Yorkie "Annie" Yorkies have hair, not fur so they do not shed, she travels very well and we have trained her to not be the typical little yelper.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #70
I would disagree with the assessment that one should avoid terrier breeds. Many of them make marvelously good traveling companions for anyone who loves an outgoing upbeat personality. Train them and socialize them as you ought and they love everyone and are less prone to bark needlessly. They can be high energy but the smaller ones are easy to exercise.

Herding breeds are often high energy, so while they are great companions, they may need more walking than you want to do while traveling.

A group not mentioned is the working group, dogs bred to work right at the side of man. These breeds can be very nice and often are more focused on their persons.

Choosing a dog can be a lot of fun, and doing the homework up front is best so you choose right FOR YOU. A right match is a blessing for both you and the dog, a bad match, well, these are learning experiences.