Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What kind of Dog? Suggestions please.

I hope this question about dogs and motorhomes will help me and my DW help us select a dog that is right for motorhome travel. I have always had big dogs, (Labs)and lots of land for them to run on. Now we have a motorhome. Our last dog was a big black lab and she passed away a couple of years ago and I just didn't want another dog right away. Well now is the time to get a new dog and I would like some imput from this community on what kind of dogs adapt well to the close quarters and such. I am sure I don't want another big dog now and so I ask this question. What kind of dog has worked for you and your wife in a Class A motorhome. thanks for any help you can give..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

We don't have a dog at the present time, but have around dogs all of our lives. My advice for a motor home owner - - a dog that does not shed and a dog that does not yelp obnoxiously (training is the key hear). I've been around too many dogs that carpet a home with hair. I can't believe how bad a motor home would look with hair in every nook and cranny. JMHO
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
just as asking which color is the prettiest, you will get answers covering just about every breed of dog. There are people who have large dogs, small dogs, one dog and I know of a guy with 6.

The best dog is the kind you are comfortable with. Keep in mind, moho's have small floor areas, will you share your couch with your dog? Do you crate? What type of activities do you do when stopped? Some breeds require alot of exercise, some do not.

We camped with our boxer and lab mix (they were both about 40 lbs). As long as they were walked regularly, they were fine. The lab was lazier than the boxer, so she didn't care as much if she was walked or not. In fact, she preferred not to be walked, just wanted to sit at my feet. She has since passed away and the boxer is now 13 years old. When she passes, we will not be getting another dog. I find them hard to take with us when we want to sightsee or go desert riding.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

We have 2 shihtzu's and they are great in the motorhome. This breed has hair instead of fur and does not shed. Very smart and is a quick learner. Dedicated to its owner.
On our trip to Alaska they were the perfect passengers.
rlrsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

I've had dogs all my life until the past 5 years. I had small and large dogs. For anyone camping in a MH or any kind of RV, I would recommend a small breed. The best traveler I ever had was a mini-schnauzer. He wasn't a neurotic barker and loved to be on the move with us. My only complaint with the larger dogs was they would have doggy odor that would pervade anywhere they spent a lot of time, stepping over them in small quarters, and their need for exercise to remain healthy and fit. I've seen way too many obese large dogs simply because they lacked exercise and were fed too much. A bath a week doesn't kill doggy-odor. Some people who live with dogs for a long time can no longer smell it. I always talk to pet owners in the CGs and those (can't spell the names of these breeds) Schitzu and other small fuzzy breeds like the French Biszon Frezay (sp?) and crosses of these smaller fuzzy breeds are most popular.

If we ever decide to get another dog, we'll hit the shelter and look for something small that's not known for strong doggy-BO. Shedding I can deal with since our cats are shedders, but funky smells - no dice.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have seen almost every breed from Chihuahua to a Great Dane. We have been doing our RVing with a couple of Miniature Schnauzers over the years. We started taking them when we had a Toyota Dolphin. One of the two that we have now is a sub-miniature weighing in at 9 1/2 pounds, the other is about 15-16 pounds. They travel well, a little more barking that I prefer but they shed a lot less than a lot of dogs that we have seen. We spent just over a year full timing with two that both were in the 15 to 18 pound range.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Find the nearest shelter and let one pick you. My Little 35lb mix breed (see avatar) has been the best traveling companion I could ever imagine. Our Mini Doxie and Chihuahua/doxie mix are a close 2nd.

When DW and I travel in the coach all 3 go, when I'm in the TC it's just Dylan and me.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

We have traveled with our Labs for several years. I perfer pets that are large enough to take care of theirselves. The DW would like to have a smaller pet but........
One of the families that travels with us has full size Poodles and they like them.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

We have our last dog now. As soon as she passes we're selling the RV and going on cruises and staying in fancy hotels!😜
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Two years ago we filled out the paperwork and got a rescued West Highland Terrier. What a great decision that was. He is the best little guy to travel with. While going on down the road he is either on my wife's lap or he is on the couch sleeping. When we arrive at destination he loves to walk around the campground or inside the motor home he plays with his toys. He is a real gentleman. Once he gets to know you you have friend from then on. If you are interested you can go to Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and do a search for West Highland Terrier.

Jerry
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #11

Think small, no more than 6 or 7 pounds. They take up less room in your bed.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

We also got our dog on Petfinder.com. You can search for a particular breed if you want. You can also put in a mile radius from your zip code so you won't have to travel any farther than you want to get the dog. A lot of these dogs are being fostered, so you can speak with their foster mom or dad & find out their temperament to see if they'll be a good fit. We rescued our Oliver, and it felt really good to get a dog who needed a good home.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A stuffed toy dog sits nicely on the dash and is low maintenance.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two words:

Miniature Schnauzer.

Other than the occasional trip to the groomer, they are AWESOME doggies !!

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote