Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #15

Wow! How old was the generator without the spark arrester? I thought they had to have those to be sold in the USA for quite a few years.

2017 Nash 23D
Bigdogboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Used a Champion, USFS wrote me a ticket for not being approved in Federal & state forests (no spark arrester)
Had several air cooled that used propane or gas... both over heated and shut down under hot weather /heavy use conditions.
Went to water cooled gennies, gas & diesels ... (currant one is 12kw Kabota diesel) ....all good now.
Why did you remove the spark arrestor? I have one of the first original Champion open frame 3500/4000 generators that has a spark arrestor in it. I have to remove and wire brush clean once a year. Not sure how old this generator is, at least 10 years old probably more and still runs like a "champ"!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
And the hassle of having to go refill your propane tanks every other day. Gasoline is more readily available than propane and easier to transport. Not sure what additives you're talking about.
What hassle? I have two spare propane tanks I put in the bed of the truck. I have two propane tanks on the RV tongue with the auto switch over system. Depending on the length of the camping trip I may have to go refill a spare or two no problem I can find propane everywhere. Note, getting bottles refilled is always cheaper then the gas station bottle trade deal. With the conversion of my Weber Q grill and my Camp Chef Ranger 2 burner stove to Quick Connect I can run everything off the RV propane system.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Propane is clean
Yes it is, forgot about this part, thanks for the reminder. One more pro for propane!

Quote:
but you burn a lot of it in a generator
Depending on load you can burn a lot of gas as well, sure propane has less btu per than gas but not really that much.

Quote:
plus they are usually air cooled and noisy.
I have no idea how to respond to this! I've not seen a portable generator that is not air cooled. The open frame pure sinewave construction gens are loud but the closed inverters are not so loud especially when not under max load.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #19

Well I sure got a lot of info from my question.
I think I have enough information to go hunting.
The thing that concerns me is I am trying to go as light as possible.
The body is not what it used to be.

Thanks for the replies and the good two way discussion.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Two points. Whatever Gen you desire on or pair, make sure it's a bit bigger than you need as you will lose power with altitude so you need Gen to do the same job as sea level. And if you go propane also bigger as the Gen's put or are rated about ten percent less than their gas cousins.

LEN
Old 06-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #21

Carolina Campers
I bought a Honda EG2800i generator and I have a 25' TT and it powers my A/C and the refrain and TV have not tried it with the microwave all the other running.

I really like it so far and pretty quiet. It is an inverter so your electronics are safe.

BTW I am very sold on Honda had eu2000 forever. The only issue is having to replace the carb twice (my fault) . But it is like 12 years old I think been a long time. I do not allow ethanol gas near my small engines or boat any longer.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Used a Champion, USFS wrote me a ticket for not being approved in Federal & state forests (no spark arrester)
Had several air cooled that used propane or gas... both over heated and shut down under hot weather /heavy use conditions.
Went to water cooled gennies, gas & diesels ... (currant one is 12kw Kabota diesel) ....all good now.
Yep, mine is an Onan 12.5 kw with Kubota diesel. I won't ever wear it out!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post
Wow! How old was the generator without the spark arrester? I thought they had to have those to be sold in the USA for quite a few years.
Year model 2000, had a good quiet muffler but was not stamped or registered as being approved by the USFS (US Forest Service)
Also most of the gennies sold by Harbor Freight and others (made in China) are not approved as well. (they say they meet the requirements and have a sticker but the USFS says there is no registration or such on file.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #24

I rented a 2500 Honda for the day. Ran the A/C and a vacuum cleaner lights and fan etc.
There is a suggestion that I get a bigger unit than what I require for the A/C.

I once had a 3500 but the weight is far heavier than I can lift out of the truck. I will be looking into a 2500 Honda.
Thanks for the suggestion and comments.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #25

I have 2 Honda 2000's. I also have a 5500 W. Onan onboard generator. I bought the Hondas when we had a Class C MH with no generator. After I bought the Class A I have now I didn't figure I'd use the Honda generators much but I was wrong. I don't leave home without them.
When dry camping I use one Honda to recharge batteries and run a hair dryer for the wife. Piggybacked the Hondas will power up 1 AC unit with no problem at all and are more economical to run than the Onan. The Hondas are quieter even running full speed together than the Onan.
I also use the Hondas for chores at home running an electric pole saw, circular saw, drills etc. all over my property. I strap a Honda to my ATV and become mobile nearly anywhere. We use a Honda in the winter time for our enclosed snowmobile race trailer to power a small compressor and interior lighting.
8 hours on a gallon of gas is about average run time.
Lynn
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #26

I have a 3500 watt champion and it runs my 1500 btu ac all night. Never had a problem with it. It has the RV plug on it and is pretty quiet. Runs 12 hrs on 3.8 gallon of gas.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
I rented a 2500 Honda for the day. Ran the A/C and a vacuum cleaner lights and fan etc.
There is a suggestion that I get a bigger unit than what I require for the A/C.

I once had a 3500 but the weight is far heavier than I can lift out of the truck. I will be looking into a 2500 Honda.
Thanks for the suggestion and comments.

Many reviews saying it's not enough power to run a 13,500 btu AC. If it started yours, it was probably very iffy.... very hot weather and/or high altitude would require more watts. It's better to have a reserve, than to have to run the generator at max output.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #28

I bought a Boliy Pro3600SI in 2008 after reading and comparing the Boliy specs to Honda, Yamaha, and Generac. This Boliy beats all of them of comparable size in specs. For me the best part was its weight, 77# full of gas and oil. I could easily move it out of the truck-bed onto the ground or other way around. It has a continuous output of 3,000W, and ran both of my air conditioners at the same time (1-15k + 1-13.5K).
I ran it for a hour yesterday to exercise it, running 2- 1,500W space heaters for load.

I always dose my gas can now with Stabil prior to filling it, which means I never have trouble with Ethanol gas going bad in storage. Before I began using Stabil I had to replace the carb, which was not difficult, a new carb was $37.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator