Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #43

A salesman swayed us. Name Flash Gordon. We are glad he did. 5 years ago.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijon View Post
2007 dully is not a waste for me. I live on a farm and use it for things other than pulling my trailer. Been paid for years ago. Plus when we get to our destination we can unhook and use the truck to travel around.

If I already had a suitable truck , or wanted a suitable truck for a daily driver , I’d have s fifth wheel
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Simple, in a MH the party starts when you leave. In a 5th wheel or trailer it starts when you arrive.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #46

1) Didn’t want a big truck.
2) Didn’t want to go site seeing in a big truck.
3) I’m terrible at backing up a boat, trailer, etc.
4) Wanted option of using the facilities while in motion.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #47

You're not a small vehicle towing a bus.. You're a bus towing a small vehicle.. Way different driving scenario. Almost all the dangers involved in towing are minimized.. And if you don't pull a toad.. You're just driving a big van.. Mine is only 32 feet. It's extremely well designed and plenty of room for the two of us with no slides.. Gets the same mileage as the opposite way would get... Plus driving a bus gives you massive storage... And with my crazy looking ass behind the wheel, Most folks get the hell out of the way... LOL...
And most of all, It's fun to drive your living room down the road...

Good Luck

John
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #48

We can't afford a nice diesel pusher. And I suppose with the less than quality nature of the components and the build, we decided to go the $50K 5th wheel rather than the $130K gas Class A route. If we get a poor unit, it's easier for me to change out, or upgrade down the road. So I have the diesel power that I want and a comfy RV.

I am not planning on 12 hr driving days so the bathroom, make a sandwich Class A features are of no interest to me. I want to stop and stretch my legs, not go hours on end.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
We didn't need a truck in our day to day life and the size and weight of 5er my wife likes would require us to have DRW. We wanted to own a Jeep and want to do some off-roading during our travels and didn't want to drive a DRW truck when sightseeing. We want to carry kayaks, bikes, and golf cart which can be carried on/in the Jeep without having to have a toy hauler and lose living space. When we travel we move every 3 to 14 days to a new location and we enjoy the larger front window when traveling. It is nice when you arrive at a location the coach is cool or warm and doesn't take time to cool down or heat up. I do like having two modes of transportation - If the coach has major problems I can drop off at a repair shop and drive tow vehicle home or tow vehicle needs major repair I can drive the coach home. When I had my 5er I engine problems with my truck and was stuck on the side road in 100-degree weather waiting for a tow company if my motorhome broke down we could use the tow vehicle to move my family off the road to a safer location and to keep them cool. Our motorhome better fits our style of travel and lifestyle so the motorhome was the better choice for us.

One big negative is the initial cost is higher and the maintenance cost on motorhomes.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Jeep Wrangler we tow most of the time since we are a member of a Jeep club and a lot of off-roading on our trips. If we not planning to off-road we tow our Jeep Grand Cherokee which has a great ride and easy to park. We are not stuck driving a big truck while out sightseeing and trying to find a place to park. We also can put a small golf cart in the back of Jeeps and put kayaks on top and bikes on the back. It's like have a trailer for toys without having to have a toy hauler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
With a 5'er you have a vehicle to drive without having to uproot everything and drive your house.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #51

Since cost has already been discussed, there are 2 other questions that need to be considered.
1. - Are you a pickup kind of person that likes to own a truck and/or does driving a MH seem scary or fun to you?
2. - Do you plan to use the RV as a vacation and move once a week which is more MH style or plan to be parked for longer periods that is more fifth wheel style?
Obviously, these questions are general in nature and many people are happy using both styles of RV in different camping modes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #52

I like the second cup of coffee out of the Keurig while driving down the road.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #53

With a motorhome and toad you have two options when parking. Find a pull thru or unhook the toad and use a back in.
With a truck/SUV and trailer you can park in any type of spot for a quick overnighter without unhooking the 5er if a pull thru isn't available.

I'm not so sure it's all that much faster unhooking a toad thats 4 down vs unhitching a 5th wheel. I can be unhooked in a few mins. Hitching up is just as quick.
Both types still have jacks to pick up, sewer hoses, elec cords, water hose, etc. I camp next to MH's often and don't see them leaving their sites any faster than I do.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Our reasons for buying were a bit different from yours, but the big advantage I see is accessibility to the living area while traveling. Something that was reinforced on the drive home from buying my current coach while stuck in standstill traffic for 4 hours on I-10 in Florida. While other people were sitting behind the steering wheel in their cars, walking around on the the roadway, and taking excursions to the treeline. I cranked up the generator, cooked a pizza in the convection oven, turned on the tv to see if I could find any news about the traffic jam, all while being able to be back behind the steering wheel and ready to move in under 15 seconds. Sure such situations are rare, but the same applies to pulling into a rest area for lunch, or just to run to the bathroom, then of course there is pulling into a campground in the rain, simply pull in, park, and when the rain slacks off go plug into electricity.

Being able to go to the bathroom in those situations is a double-double bonus! [emoji487][emoji3047][emoji342][emoji372][emoji106][emoji106]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Jeep and go offroading. So need to tow.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
With a motorhome and toad you have two options when parking. Find a pull thru or unhook the toad and use a back in.
With a truck/SUV and trailer you can park in any type of spot for a quick overnighter without unhooking the 5er if a pull thru isn't available.

I'm not so sure it's all that much faster unhooking a toad thats 4 down vs unhitching a 5th wheel. I can be unhooked in a few mins. Hitching up is just as quick.
Both types still have jacks to pick up, sewer hoses, elec cords, water hose, etc. I camp next to MH's often and don't see them leaving their sites any faster than I do.

Yeah, I'm pretty quick about hooking/unhooking. If traveling, I often don't unhook - I can generally get level while hooked up. If not, I'll just leave the truck in place, pull the disconnect and raise the fiver to level. Then it's a 30 second hookup the next day.

If I have to move the truck when doing an overnight, it's about 10 minutes to unhook and level, and the same the next morning.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a