RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #57

I just don't get the idea that MHs are for 'traveling' and 5th wheels are for 'parking'......or that it takes longer to hook/unhook 5vr vs MH/Toad????

We 'traveled' weekly for 7 yrs FTng
Watched a lot of MH/Toads have WAY more difficulties setting up/unhooking/prepping to go then we ever experienced.

Comes down to personal preferences (and Ability to perform a function)

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Cumminsfan that hooking and unhooking a 5er or toad takes about the same amount of time. Yep, not getting a pull thru is a pain having to unhook but if you find a pull thru just press of the button and your level without unhooking from the truck since the tow vehicle doesn't need to be disconnected to level.

When traveling I only hook up electric since I have 100 gallons of fresh, 70 gallons of gray and 50 black I can spend 4 or 5 days on the road without dumping. I don't have worry about the weight since I have 5700 pounds of cargo capacity and about 3000 pounds under when loaded for a 30-day trip. I also like the benefit of having a built-in diesel generator with up to 75 gallons of fuel available to run it. Having the generator make easy to boondock if you can't find an overnight campground and still being able to run the AC on those hot summer nights.

One big negitive to motorhome is the wife will makes coffee or insta pot in the sink and cook supper while going down the road and I have to smell that all day and makes me hungry.

Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
When traveling I only hook up electric since I have 100 gallons of fresh, 70 gallons of gray and 50 black I can spend 4 or 5 days on the road without dumping. I don't have worry about the weight since I have 5700 pounds of cargo capacity and about 3000 pounds under when loaded for a 30-day trip. I also like the benefit of having a built-in diesel generator with up to 75 gallons of fuel available to run it. Having the generator make easy to boondock if you can't find an overnight campground and still being able to run the AC on those hot summer nights.

There are trailers that have those capabilities as well. Not quite 5700 pounds of CCC, but the ability to have 100 gallons of water, generator, and fuel.
aknavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #60

We've had all of them, from tents on up to a Class A.

We selected a 5th wheel as our retirement RV (over a Class A) for a couple of reasons:
1. Lower maintenance costs than a pusher diesel. Just compare the cost of tires, for example.
2. Selectively upgradeable - you can "swap out" the tow vehicle or the trailer as needed. It's all-or-nothing with a motorhome.

If you are serious, you are going to end up with two vehicles either way. You really don't want to tear down your campsite to drive your Class A to the grocery store. You will end up with a toad.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #61

Most of the above were reasons for us too. One thing I haven't heard mentioned is security. We often use Walmart, Cracker Barrel or boondock. I like the idea of easy access to the drivers seat to get us out of harms way.

-can bring along a Jeep (or other toys)
-passenger comfort for longer days
-integration of all systems (generator)
-massive basement storage
-safety of not towing a large trailer
-don't have to purchase an expensive truck
-improved build quality over most tow behinds

The list is probably 10 times as long if I thought long enough.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #62

There are clearly pros & cons to both , depends a lot on how itís used , lifestyle & personal preference
stepside454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacvols View Post
Our budget for a late model used coach will be $300K
With our youngest in college, I took a job in China, sold the house and put every thing in storage. When we came back and retired we were not sure where we wanted to retire so wanted to spend as little as possible while we were deciding.

When I was in the navy, had a IH TravelAll (a practical family station wagon ) and nice TT. So I started looking at something to tow with. Big sticker shock.

I found a nice Class A with only 40K miles for under $10K. It was first used as a box truck with windows. Once the stuff was offloaded to a storage shed we started traveling. Then we upgraded to our present diesel pusher.

What did I learn? First off if you are going travel a lot a diesel pusher is nicer to drive and a good tow vehicle. Many times the only thing I have done to set up camp for the night is turn off the engine.

Second thing is a MH is a classic case of diminishing returns. I have spent 1/10th of your budget and it is unlikely that you will enjoy your MH more. It is more about what you are looking at from your lawn chair.

The point here is too define what is a need and what is a want. So having one toilet is a need but for some families they need two. Having a separated area with a door is one of those things that are nice too.

When you state up front what your budget, you are opening the to someone on commission to define what you need. This applies to both a MH and a fiver. The bigger the rig the few choices of where you can go. The smaller the rig the more you may have to do without.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #64

We currently have a TT and large SUV combo and finished our 5th season (averaging over 50-nights each season). One difference in Utah is I don't have to pay personal property tax on the TT or a fifth wheel, just registration. So that will likely keep us biased towards a truck and fifth wheel when we upgrade in a year or two.

We did a 3-week trip this year with our 192 square feet of living space. At least once each week we had to spend the day inside because of rain. We even managed to do some of our fitness training while cooped up.

We did some fifth wheel shopping post trip and found a couple of floorplans that will get us the upgrades we want (number 1 being recliners directly across from a television) without feeling like we're buying more space just because we can.

I will probably always envy some of the livability and on-the-road comforts of top end Class A's, but I'm not likely to go that route unless budget worries totally go away.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We decided since the truck was already here, we would match it to a fifth wheel. Had a travel trailer toy hauler before the fifth. Like the high ceilings!

Couple other considerations: have the truck for traveling around the areas. Only one engine and one trans to worry about failing.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #66

When we started looking to upgrade from our TT, we looked at everything.

We poured through these forums and many others, We looked at videos on Youtube and talked to RV'ers in every RV park we could find.

What we found was that 5th wheel owners sang the praise of their choice, Class C and Class A owners did the same. In the end, it came down to the specific needs of each as mentioned above.

We narrowed it down initially to a 5th wheel. We had bought a new truck to pull the TT but we had not initially planned to go larger so we needed a new BIGGER truck. We went camping with a friend in a Class A and loved it. Decided we wanted to go with a driveable for the many reasons mentioned above. Class B was not an option as we needed space.

It came down to driving final choice of a C and an A. In the end we went with a Class A. More storage (inside and out), the floor plan we wanted, and a price we were willing to pay.

In all fairness to 5th wheels, we had considered one that had more space than a lot of Class A's. That thing was HUGE. I just didn't want to purchase a Mack truck to pull it with.
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
So if you decide on a 5th wheel the tow vehicle will be kept where?
Flying back & forth to check on the RV sounds quite $$$ to me.
Now to your question. I've had four 5th wheels & one toy hauler 5th wheel.
Bought a used DP MH had it for two years. Sold it and buying a used Mobile Suites 5th wheel.
Big difference is tow vehicle breaks down can be towed to any Ford dealer.
MH breaks down not that many places around. ( Have done both )
You can back a 5th wheel, MH & toad no!
Thatís a great question about the tow vehicle. I donít think driving it once a month will help the reliability of the engine. One option weíve discussed is shipping it back to Florida and driving it weekly but thatís a cost that will have to be included when we factor in the financial aspect of our decision. As far as flying back and forth, I work for the airlines so I fly free. Thanks for the input!!!
Tenacvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #68

Am I the only one here that owns a somewhat large pickup truck (crew cab F250), and still choose to buy a motorhome?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #69

Initially we were going for a TH 5er, found what we loved and wanted and also found what we wanted in a Class C at the same show. The salesman with the 5er wanted to be a butt head, so we went back and bought the class C. The butt head actually did us a big favor. We have adapted well to the coach and adapted it to our needs as Kelly can telecommute at 70 MPH. The adaptability for that is a priority in our Class A search with the printer placement having the same consideration as double vanities and a seat in the shower.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #70

We have a 27' T/T and a crew cab pickup so we're about 50' overall. I just spent 7000 mi. with my b/l and his 40 ' m/h with a toad. i like to stop when i want to stop and see something, but he can't unless he has a acre to turn around in or room to pull istraight in go straight out. me on the other hand can go anywhere i can get into. if i have to back out i can back out. the wife wanted to stop in a town off the HI way and do some shopping b/l waits in a rest area down the road. we go into down town and after circling a few blocks i find a parking area next the the curb. about 5 car spaces long so i parallel park the t/t and pickup and we're shopping. i just got so tired of we can't go there, i have to be careful i can't back up, the streets are to narrow, i'm to long to make the corners .
Jay D.

Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a