Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If it is city water, just leave it in the tank. There is enough residual chlorine to prevent bad things from growing in your water system.
I leave ours for a couple months without a thought of it turning bad.
This EPA paper should help: http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfe...king_water.pdf
if you desire to insure you have safe drinking water.

That is neat info but I wish it would have addressed the lifespan of how long bleach lasts and is effective.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
That is neat info but I wish it would have addressed the lifespan of how long bleach lasts and is effective.
When you put bleach into your water tank, you kill all harmful life in the tank at that moment. The bleach will degrade into salt and water in a chemical process that can take hours or days, according to how much sunlight and air exchange is present. In a water tank, the only air introduced is through the vent as water is drawn off and atmospheric pressure change. -- Not much if you're just storing the RV.

A couple of precautions to keep the water 'potable.'

Have a dedicated hose for filling the tank. Drain hose and store between use.
Only fill with treated 'city' water unless your well has been recently tested for safety. After long time RV storage, drain and sanitize the tank before use.

RV water tanks and plumbing is designed for storing and dispensing safe drinking water. Use of a Brita type filter to remove any taste from drinking water is fine, but folks that 'only' drink bottled water seems to me a bit over the top. The water tank is just a big plastic bottle.

The source of bottled water is filtered municipal water in most cases. It's just an extreme waste of energy in making plastic bottles, transport and disposal of those bottles after one use. In 1977 Perrier started heavily advertising their sparkling water in the U.S. and soft drink companies jumped on board to stop their market shares from shrinking by labeling treated municipal water as 'Glacier' or 'Mountain Springs' to appeal to people and drain their wallets.

The water is safe and cheaper from the tap than the one use plastic bottle. If the taste bothers you, use a Brita filter. JMHO.

The only time I've bought water in a plastic bottle is when flying. After passing through TSA security, I buy a bottle of water and carry it with and refill as desired. I've had one bottle bought in Cincinnati airport last me for a month or longer traveling in Australia!

Bob

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The source of bottled water is filtered municipal water in most cases. It's just an extreme waste of energy in making plastic bottles, transport and disposal of those bottles after one use. In 1977 Perrier started heavily advertising their sparkling water in the U.S. and soft drink companies jumped on board to stop their market shares from shrinking by labeling treated municipal water as 'Glacier' or 'Mountain Springs' to appeal to people and drain their wallets.
Bob

Yup, I totally agree, draining wallets is what bottled water does! One of the biggest distributor of bottled water is Evian . . . . which spelled backwards is Naive . . . . Just saying!

Naive
Generally speaking, to be naive means you do not think enough. People who are "naive" tend to believe in whatever they are told, without questioning whether it is right or wrong. As for age, it can be anywhere from 1-100. Anyone who has not lived through and seen enough of this world is generally referred to as naive.

Please understand, I posted the above for humorous reasons only, this was and is not a personal attack on any real or fictional person or character, either living, or dead!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most people are overly cautious about it. I have left a full tank for a couple months with no adverse effects on the tank or the water. It is easy to dump the tank but if you dont, I wouldnt sweat it. These rigs are meant to use. I dont see why people wont drink the water from their systems. Your pipes at home are probably filled with more bad things than your rv ever will have.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water