Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

What to expect at Quartzsite?

I am going to be visiting Quartzsite for the first time this winter and was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up?

The main thing I am wondering about really is the dump stations. I suspect they are a never ending line 24/7 nearly, huh?

I was reading the LTVA rules and I see that some of the areas don't consider my Class B to be "fully self contained" because it has a Thetford recirculating toilet with less than 10 gallons capacity and therefore would not be allowed in such areas. I might get away with it if they don't ask since I can get by 5-7 days before I have to dump it. I probably need to dump grey more often than that with a measly 23 gallon capacity for that.

Are there some areas where people go with popups where they aren't fully self contained? If so, what do they do for showers? I know the rules say not to "dump" grey water to the ground but what about outdoor showers like popups have? Would such a thing be permitted in certain areas?

While I do have (sitting) shower capability in my van, a 23 gallon grey water tank fills fast. Also, the water heater is 120v only so I have to run the generator for it.. or just heat up water on the stove and pour it in a bucket for a sponge bath.

I may not use the toilet in my van or use it very sparingly because it takes so long to deal with. I can't just dump and go. I have to dump, rinse, dump. I have to come inside to open and close the valve so it takes a little bit of time since it's just me. Grey water is no big deal, normal drain setup.

Also I assume there is water at the dump station for cleanups? I have a dedicated hose for such tasks separate from my fresh water hose.

Also... what about potable water? Are there water spigots for potable water around the place for filling your tank?
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ya gotta buy water n dump. no problemo getin in n out. sounds like you would do better in a park.
good luck
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

I thought dump was free when you paid for a pass to the LTVA?

It seems most of the RV parks there are crazy expensive due to demand, and many are senior only. I have aother 20+ years before I can use those.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

Check out BLM's web site for LTVA info. If those sites aren't for you then that's ok as you can park anywhere basically all over the desert. I've been going for years but only 3-4 days max as I was still working. You shouldn't worry because once there everyone is so helpful to "show you the ropes". There are Sewer, Water,Ice,Propane trucks who cruise around the populated areas to sell their services. The area is huge and no way could it ever fill up so don't be too concerned as you'll learn quickly. If you like to buy stuff you don't need and people watch and enjoy beautiful winter weather in the desert then "Head West Young Man "
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

I think it's lousy to be told by anyone here I might be better in an RV park. Seems stuck up if you ask me. Kind of like saying "Maybe you shouldn't even come here". I haven't invested so much money into this motorhome to made it capable of being off the grid for nothing.

I had to buy a new grey water holding tank (identical to the original, a very odd shape) and install it myself. I still need a new water pump but that takes 10 minutes to install so I'll get one at an RV store on my way there since I am on city water right now.

I also put 200W of USA made solar panels on the roof which are working great. As it is in this RV park I am in at present, all of my lighting comes from solar and battery power. My wall exhaust fan by the stove is also 12v. My toilet also flushes by 12v power. In 3 and a half weeks I have not charged the batteries through the RV converter and it's keeping them topped up daily. One day with heavy rain made it suffer a bit but they never got below 60% charge since I was careful with my lighting.. which is all LED except the bathroom since the fixture seems to be wired in backwards.. I can't LED to work in it. Just as well, the steam from showers might ruin LEDs. I don't run that light much anyway. I also do cell phone charging through 12v as well as play my in-dash stereo and a portable XM radio, both on 12v power.

the only things not on 12v I run daily right now is the roof AC (it's the south.. it's damn hot!), the dorm fridge I put in due to the original RV fridge not working right anymore, and my power hungry, near gaming grade laptop. I'll just have to do without those things at Quartzsite is all.. which will be hard but I can do it!

Propane wise, my van is made for two 20lb tanks so I can exchange or refill which is great. Some of these Xplorers have fixed tanks. I'd hate to try to replace one of those if it ever rusted out.

I am already on a water conservation kick. I gave a 0.5gpm aerator on the galley sink which is what I wise 99% of the time. The bathroom sink is tiny and the faucet spews at least 1.5gpm.

My toilet is awesome for water conservation. 3 gallons of fresh water and some chem and it's good to go for 5-7 days. But since they provide vault toilets, I may use them part time to extend toilet dumps to 7 days vs 5.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

you will need to buy good water for drinking as Quartzite ground water has arsenic in it. good luck..
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #7

Ahh... okay. Well, how's the delivered water?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Every area I saw in Quartzsite had trucks for propane, or water, or sewage driving around the more heavily populated areas. There are plenty of "regular" RV parks there which will double up on the spaces during the big RV show and the trucks even visit some of them.

While you may not want to be part of any group or stay in a private park, there is a huge amount of dry camping space and plenty of opportunity to be as sociable or as private as you want. To get regular truck service with some kind of reliability you'll want to be en route to large group of campers. Otherwise you may have to make phone calls to get them and they may charge you more for the service.

There are potable water fill stations in numerous places and bottled water is available easily too.

I worried about many of the things you are worried about when I went. Just make sure you arrive with plenty of water and empty waste tanks so you have a couple of days to find everything out. The Chamber of Commerce has lots and lots of RVing information and the show(s) provide programs with loads of information in them too. You can take your time and ask questions and set yourself up well in your own time.

If your RV is also your day to day mode of transportation there will be days you'll want to use it. Most of the show is all in one place, but there are other flea-market type of areas in Quartzsite that cater to RVers at that time of year that you may want to drive to and maybe even stay at.

No one is going to check your toilet. If you use a sewer hose the state of Arizona wants you to elevate it off the ground. That MAY get looked at. Your toilet won't. Arizona does not allow surface grey water dumping either, though some private RV parks have been known to request it for landscape irrigation. It's still not legal.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #9

I'm not so much "worried" about it as just making sure I have some idea what to expect. I have read about arriving with full fresh, empty holding and full propane from the get go. It's just good sense.

I have a 125cc Yamaha scooter for daily driving so the van will only have to be driven for dumping and fresh filling.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
I am going to be visiting Quartzsite for the first time this winter and was wondering if anyone can give me a heads up?
During the RV show or otherwise??

The main thing I am wondering about really is the dump stations. I suspect they are a never ending line 24/7 nearly, huh?
During the show - YES! You do know that dump, water and porta pottys are only available in the "PAY" areas? It was $40. for 2 weeks last year. Water at the dump is drinkable. Last year they had just completed permanent (brick) porta pottys - no water but never a line.

Also I assume there is water at the dump station for cleanups? I have a dedicated hose for such tasks separate from my fresh water hose.

Also... what about potable water? Are there water spigots for potable water around the place for filling your tank?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Yes, I know the services are only in the pay area. I plan to stay at least a month for the $180 which isn't bad compared to the RV park rates around there, especially during the show.

I have setup my van for off the grid use so I feel I'm pretty well prepared.... 200W of solar panels installed, new grey water tank, all new color coded PEX fresh water lines inside, stove and furnace working great, new propane supply hoses, LED bulbs for misery power usage. I just need a new water pump which takes 10-15 minutes to install, no big deal to do later. The one I have now does pump water but it won't shut off when pressurized.

My Onan AJ 2.7KW generator is in poor shape but it does run and puts out proper voltage, but has to run faster than normal to do so, it seems. I had to do some adjustments to get it from 80V to 130V or so idle (no load) as the service manual said to do. It's noisy and a fuel hog so it's just for emergencies really. I have considered getting a cheap portable 1000W generator too for backup... but it might be overkill... and something else to have to store. I'd do better to find someone on craigslist with a good condition Onan AJ and install it in place of this old worn out one.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No one will be checking if your RV is technically self-contained or not, so you will be perfectly fine in the LTVA areas. You will get access to dump, trash, water and porta potties in those areas. The dumps are very full during the big show, but otherwise easy. The water at the LTVA is very hard, but for a month of boondocking it's fine...or you can drive into town and buy treated water.

If I were in your shoes I'd park in the LTVA within walking distance of a porta potty (to save on toilet usage) and take sponge baths (water heated on your stove). It'll be a fun experience!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stay at the full hookup Coyote Ridge RV park in Bouse. It is about 25 miles north of Quartzsite and about the same from Parker where they have a Walmart and Safeway.

The cost is $160 per month with a charge for metered electricity. That costs us $50 to $60 per month with no AC use since it isn't really necessary.

It's not a 55 plus park but most of us are in our 60s or 70s. Friendly folks though.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekker View Post
you will need to buy good water for drinking as Quartzite ground water has arsenic in it. good luck..
Drinking water is available at many many places at 25 cents a gallon or $1.00 for 5 gallon.
Rockwood Mini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quartzsite