Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Try being the one who gets completely ignored when asking detailed questions about carrying capacity, torque, chassis specifics, slide out manufacturer or insulation. They'll start to answer DH & he just tells them she's the one who knows RV's....talk to her....I just drive it where she tells me.

One year, for something to do while at a nearby campground, we went to Tom Raper to look at RV's. DH had on a nice pair of jeans & a polo shirt; I was in a pair of cut-off jean shorts & an OH state park logo'd t-shirt. We split up on entering & I wandered around for half an hour looking at RV's before a salesperson caught up with me. DH barely got inside the showroom before being approached.

Lori-

You two sound like a great team, Lori!

In a way, having DH "suited up" to attract the attention lets you make your own observations without sales influence. Then when you're ready you two join up and YOU ask all the questions... that's a good technique and probably loops the typical sales person.

I'm with Mr D, too. A single male isn't a prospect unless he's looking at fish house TTs...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #44

I tell them I am here to serve papers for a paternity lawsuit, and by the way.... what is his name?
Lenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #45

I go naked. They run like rats...except for them womens.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #46

My solution was adopted from my old business just wear a badge around your neck or pinned down that says “VENDOR”

Zzotte
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #47

What to wear

Go mess with a skunk , get sprayed and trust me no salesman will never come near you!!!!
I would think this would work but never tried it
Forever-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #48

I wear nice clothes and don't get bothered. I simply don't allow it.

If you do, you have a problem.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Had to be the dress!😉.
Sweengolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #50

Overland Owners Club
Good stuff on here. I have one for ya'll.
I went to an RV show with the intent of buying something within the next two months. I was under 40 years old, clean shaven, and wearing Chuck Taylors and jeans. I was looking for our Newmar. I think the sales people/reps thought I was lost or something. Like, maybe I missed the tent area. After being ignored for a bit and doing another lap of the show (and grabbing a beer), I went back and asked for some help. One of them, before he even asked my name, asked me what I did for work. When that happens, I get a bit grumpy. I usually respond, "and my name is Pork Chop, thanks for asking." I couldn't believe he asked me what I did again and I responded, "nothin'" with a big smile on my face. That made his brain come to a screeching halt. I eventually found our RV in another state. People don't seem to be so judgmental over the phone. Happens to me all the time.
Ham Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #51

Dress like one of the Village People.
peteree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #52

I've found that it really doesn't matter what you wear. Once you open cabinets and start comparing the GVWR, CCC and chassis ratings, they know that you're experienced and could be a potential customer. But, I've never been pestered by one when I tell them that I'm in the comparison stage right now, and I'd really appreciate a brochure.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My normal clothes and by myself keeps the salespeople away. They want to deal with couples so I fly under their "radar".

Me too. My first words are "I am not buying anything today." Last time at camping world I literally got abandoned inside a MH, while he took a couple back to the office.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
there is a word commonly used, it 'no', and keep walking.
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Normally when we go to RV show and don't want to be hounded by all salesman so I wear an old pair of Levis, an old t-shirt and my oldest pair of shoes and salesman just ignore us. This time we going out to eat at a nice restaurant with friends so I wore slacks, a nice button down shirt and dresses walking shoes, and a leather jacket. It was like wearing fly paper - I had sales stuck to all day. I had a camping world sales guys follow me out the Camping world display and though two other vendor area before I could shake him. Lesson learned
Never had a problem at an RV show, and I go to them every year in NJ
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #56

A cap with a propeller on top might help.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote