Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #2969

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It's usually the mechanical noise that makes them noisy.

chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #2970

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Dogpatch - I have to agree with you on the points of stowing a dolly. I have not used one - but I have observed the process many times at camp grounds. On a perfectly level, long pull through folks seem to do very well with the dolly. It's those other occasions where it gets almost comical but is in fact a little sad - ie the near divorce status of the process. Watching that a few times has convinced me that if if I had one, I would have to limit our CG selections to those long, level places. That would be an issue for me. On our last trip out in hilly country I was surprised at the number of sites that were long enough for a 40' coach but required an up hill entry and down hill exit. Basically the sites were elevated on natural ramps. That would be a tough dolly situation.

That said - I feel the same way about popups and 5th wheels. I watched a guy with a brand new 5er with electric lifts and jacks and all - and he had a devil of a time getting it to unhook. In fairness - I seen em (5ers and dollies) hooked and unhooked in no time flat. It's all just a matter of what you're comfortable doing and having the physical and mental attitude to do it. For me - at this stage of the game - I want simple and easy. Others are better suited for the task than I am and I admit it. Like you said - the dolly is a great option for some.

If anyone can handle a dolly - my money is on my good friend Oldme! What a long strange trip it's been!
Steve
We pulled a trailer (large version of 'dolly') the first year. OH what a PITA that was.

chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2971

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Have you actually put it in the vertical position? seems like the brake fluid would run out of the master cylinder.

No the fluid will NOT run out.
It is in a steel container with a screw in plug.
Sealed from leaking.

I have not yet set it vertical. With mu back problems
it may not be the best thing for me to do by myself.
Still an option.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #2972

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I will be taking my ACME on it's maiden voyage soon, I used ZEP Wax on the fenders BIG difference.

Good to see another owner here.
I'll get the Zip. That sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #2973

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Oldme,

While I respect your reasoning for using a tow Dolley, there are a few things to consider.
Having owned a tow Dolley personally and now towing 4 down, I know the nuances of both.

Unless my plan was to own a vehicle that cannot be towed 4 down again, this would be the only reason I would use a Dolley. If some of you out there already have one that can't be towed 4 down, buying a tow Dolley is cheaper than buying a new tow vehicle. This is the only advantage.
From experience with set up(almost caused a divorce every time we loaded it), storing it and your tow vehicle at a campsite (most campgrounds frown on too many extra vehicles) and maneuvering it around on any kind of a slight incline (at approx. 500lbs this in no small feat), I can tell you I wouldn't own one again unless I absolutely had to.

They aren't for everyone, but given needed circumstances, they work for a few.

Just my opinion.

Sorry it did not work out for you.
Maybe it was a different brand with different features?
I can see an auto-trailer being very different than a dolly.
I have done that.

I like it as do several others in this form.
I was asked my reasons for choosing the dolly
and they were as I stated.

What you stated as downsides
for you I do not see as a downside for me.

I would see added electrical systems, break controllers
and base plates that I have viewed pictures of, that were
up ripped from uni-body constructed vehicles as negatives
(A full frame vehicle would not have this negative).

How you tow is frequently like what color you like.

What ever works for you, is what you need.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #2974

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Good to see another owner here.
I'll get the Zip. That sounds like a good idea.
I have the ACME tow dolly for just over a year now and we are still loving it. The DW and I have a system worked out and in approximately 15 minutes we are hooked up and ready to roll. Unhooking is even easier and less time consuming. So far, we have been able to stow the dolly completely under the MH when parked at a campsite so it doesn't take up any additional space. Maneuvering it hasn't been a problem for us either with its built in handle and relative light weight (400 pounds). If I had to do it all over again, I still would buy the ACME tow dolly.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #2975
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Sorry it did not work out for you.
Maybe it was a different brand with different features?
I can see an auto-trailer being very different than a dolly.
I have done that.

I like it as do several others in this form.
I was asked my reasons for choosing the dolly
and they were as I stated.

What you stated as downsides
for you I do not see as a downside for me.

I would see added electrical systems, break controllers
and base plates that I have viewed pictures of, that were
up ripped from uni-body constructed vehicles as negatives
(A full frame vehicle would not have this negative).

How you tow is frequently like what color you like.

What ever works for you, is what you need.
That's exactly how I left my post. Everyone needs to suit their own situation.

Mine had electric brakes not surge. I like the surge brake idea as I had that on my boat trailer. We bought a Dolley (used for $800) to pull our front wheel drive PT Cruiser. We knew we were not going to keep that car much more than a year or two. It was front wheel drive and not towable 4 down. The Dolley worked.

I did encounter storage issues at a few campgrounds cramped for space. In these cases the campground made comments, but eventually gave in and found a spot for the Dolley away from our site.

The biggest downfall was doing anything with it to unhook or hook up if I was on any kind of an incline. I had many a chiropractor appointment after trying to lug that Dolley into place and several issues with unhooking by myself. 500 lbs on an incline is a runaway! And not easily stopped. I used to keeps 2x4's on the Dolley to throw behind the rear wheels and then elicit help from someone to move it. It's not simply the thought of a 50lb tongue weight to consider.

In any event, the purpose of my post was not to sway others from purchasing a Dolley, but to enlighten them of some of the issues that may befall them in buying one.
That's the purpose of this Forum...to help others make an educated decision through the benefit of our experiences.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #2976

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 Geo Tracker and tow it with four wheels down since it is a manual transmission. But when we stop to let the dogs out or get gas I usually run the engine for a minute or two just to get the fluids circulating. Never had a problem other than when I make a sharp turn the front wheels go into a different direction. Than I either have to get out and turn the steering wheel or back up a few feet to get them back in straight line. Anybody else have that problem?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2977

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am in agreement with others, that you use what you like.

This dolly is not like an auto-carrier trailer.
It is much simpler and quicker to setup.
It is EZE.

For those interested:

Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly Instructional Video - Full VIMEO HD 2 - YouTube

Acme Eze Tow Dolly is the Best Heavy Duty Tow Dolly - See For Yourself! | Car Tow Dolly

Time to at last, enjoy the cool weather and change of colors!
Hope all have safe journeys.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #2978

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roywolf View Post
I have a 1997 Geo Tracker and tow it with four wheels down since it is a manual transmission. But when we stop to let the dogs out or get gas I usually run the engine for a minute or two just to get the fluids circulating. Never had a problem other than when I make a sharp turn the front wheels go into a different direction. Than I either have to get out and turn the steering wheel or back up a few feet to get them back in straight line. Anybody else have that problem?
Yes, our Tracker is a '94 also a manual trans. If we turn very sharply, especially to the right, we get the "Tracker shake" and I have to get out and straighten it out. There was a thread about it here Wacky Geo Tracker Head Shake!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2979

Tiffin Owners Club
We purchased a used dolly, used it a few times and had surge brakes added by the trailer shop. I didn't want to have to fart with the electric brakes. My son still thinks I am crazy for doing this. His unit is electric brake.

He drives a Chevrolet pickup and I drive a Chrysler minnie van. But we're still friends. To each his own.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #2980

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
We purchased a used dolly, used it a few times and had surge brakes added by the trailer shop. I didn't want to have to fart with the electric brakes. My son still thinks I am crazy for doing this. His unit is electric brake.

He drives a Chevrolet pickup and I drive a Chrysler minnie van. But we're still friends. To each his own.

I have to agree.

If everyone liked what I liked, every store would
have black walnut ice cream and of course bacon.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #2981

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

The RedneckExpress has wings?
Technically, yes, its the term for the porition of a truck camper that over hangs the bed rails of the pickup carrying it :P. On the Bighorn, I use that term for the curved skirt that decorates the underside of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post

If there is a woodworking store near you you can get bronze wool, just like steel wool but it will not rust or splinter off as much.

Steve
Thanks, I'll see if I can find a shop , haven't opened the steel wool yet, so I can take it back if I find the other.

Let's see, this past week....

Bought a Winegard Sensar IV replacement head to replace the Sensar III clone, AntennaTek Signal Commander, and then ended up having to go to camping world (cause they're the only place open on Sunday) and buy the Winegard Sensar Pro power plate to get the tv to find digital stations (weirdness of the Toshiba tube set's dtv tuner).
But, I now get perfect stations.

Also spent a $100 and had two twelve foot custom pigtails made so I could hook my 100lb propane cylinders to the switchover system on the trailer instead of its 30lb stock cylinders.

Also bought a nice towel and washcloth rack for the bathroom and officially moved in. Should be fully out of my old site by this coming weekend.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:24 AM   #2982

Ordered some 4 digit panel voltmeters off of Ebay so I can monitor what the BatteryMinders in my garage are sending to my MH.

4 Digital Blue LED Voltage Volt Meter

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote