Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #5965

Carolina Campers
What was the last thing you bought for your RV ?

A macerator.

A macerator provides several options and can make dumping far easier, provide a far cleaner process, and can be a faster process then using the 3 1/2" hose.

Here are a few things to consider;
1) With a macerator hooked up you don't have the hassle of hooking up or disconnecting the slinky.
2) You simply pull out the end and put it in the dump station sewer drain, open the value, and flip a switch to turn it on.
3) Most macerator's pump at about 12 to 15 gallons per minute, so you can do the math as to how long it would take to empty your size tank. It is usually only a few minutes to empty both the black and grey tank. It takes 5 to 6 minutes for me to empty both tanks, if they are both completely full.
4) With a good macerator, you can pump up to 150' away and up to a nine foot incline. Which is exactly what I need to do when parked at one place I go to an a regular basis. This also means that when you hook up at a full service camp site, you don't have to use a slinky holder to provide that perfect angle for the gravity flow. You simply open the valve and flip a switch when you want to dump the tanks.
5) It does grind up what is going into the sewer, but keep in mind that you are pumping into a much smaller hose, versus the 3 1/2" hose. Also, you don't want to clog the pump with larger matter that is being pumped.
6) A macerator provides you with far more options for places to dump. Because you have a smaller hose, you can simply connect the hose, or even multiple hoses together, and dump into a sewer clean out at home. You can dump into a toilet, or other options. I have two 75' hoses that I have hooked together and pumped to a sewer drain that was up a hill 150' away from where the coach is parked.

So, with a macerator you have far less hook up and disconnect time, much easier process, far cleaner process, which in turn may not take any longer to use a macerator versus using the 3 1/2" hose, and far more dumping options. As I have used both methods, I know that it takes me less time to use the macerator than to use the large 3 1/2" hose.

When other campers have watched me use the macerator, it is not uncommon for them to comment as to how fast and easy the process is.

Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 03:36 AM   #5966

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
A macerator.

A macerator provides several options and can make dumping far easier, provide a far cleaner process, and can be a faster process then using the 3 1/2" hose.

Here are a few things to consider;
1) With a macerator hooked up you don't have the hassle of hooking up or disconnecting the slinky.
2) You simply pull out the end and put it in the dump station sewer drain, open the value, and flip a switch to turn it on.
3) Most macerator's pump at about 12 to 15 gallons per minute, so you can do the math as to how long it would take to empty your size tank. It is usually only a few minutes to empty both the black and grey tank. It takes 5 to 6 minutes for me to empty both tanks, if they are both completely full.
4) With a good macerator, you can pump up to 150' away and up to a nine foot incline. Which is exactly what I need to do when parked at one place I go to an a regular basis. This also means that when you hook up at a full service camp site, you don't have to use a slinky holder to provide that perfect angle for the gravity flow. You simply open the valve and flip a switch when you want to dump the tanks.
5) It does grind up what is going into the sewer, but keep in mind that you are pumping into a much smaller hose, versus the 3 1/2" hose. Also, you don't want to clog the pump with larger matter that is being pumped.
6) A macerator provides you with far more options for places to dump. Because you have a smaller hose, you can simply connect the hose, or even multiple hoses together, and dump into a sewer clean out at home. You can dump into a toilet, or other options. I have two 75' hoses that I have hooked together and pumped to a sewer drain that was up a hill 150' away from where the coach is parked.

So, with a macerator you have far less hook up and disconnect time, much easier process, far cleaner process, which in turn may not take any longer to use a macerator versus using the 3 1/2" hose, and far more dumping options. As I have used both methods, I know that it takes me less time to use the macerator than to use the large 3 1/2" hose.

When other campers have watched me use the macerator, it is not uncommon for them to comment as to how fast and easy the process is.

Ted
When you are pumping up hill and you are finished, how do you get the remaining water (I hope it is gray water) out of the hose? The macerator won't pump air so the hose will be completely full if you are pumping up hill.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 AM   #5967

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
When you are pumping up hill and you are finished, how do you get the remaining water (I hope it is gray water) out of the hose? The macerator won't pump air so the hose will be completely full if you are pumping up hill.
Not true,

They are a rubber impeller, positive displacement, pump and will clear the hose.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #5968

Carolina Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post

After the tanks empty, it does pump air and clears the hose, but regardless, I always empty the black, then the gray, then I use the tank flush until only clear water is being discharged out the end. Very little, If any, water is in the hose when I unhook. And as I said, it is only clear water. It works quite well.

Also, most of the time I am in a normal situation, either at a full service or dump station. It is truly nice to simply pull it out, flip the switch to pump, and put it away, never having to hook up and disconnect the stinky slinky...

Ted
Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #5969

wrong post.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #5970

I had a mascerator on my GMC for years. A big PITA and I do not recommend them for an RV. They leak, get tangled up and need constant maintenance. When using a standard hose, you do not need a slinky. You should only hook up the hose when ready to dump anyway and no slinky is needed. Even toilet paper clogs a mascerator. If you ever run it dry, you will immediately burn up the plastic impeller. Only needed for a boat when you need to pump uphill. A total boondoggle on an RV.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #5971

I've had one for years and never once had it spilled one drop anywhere, nor has it ever clogged from TP. I suggest you re-examine your installation. What you did get 100% correct is running the unit dry, even for a few seconds. That rubber impeller WILL melt. NEVER run that pump dry!

What I would never do is use it in a dump where I could use a slinky only in the interest of saving time and the guy behind me. A full dump is measured in minutes for the pump vs. seconds for the slinky.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #5972

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a macerator also, and only use it where I cant use the three inch slinky. I find it is much slower pumping the tanks with the macerator than it is to gravity flow thru the slinky. I also feel I get a more complete dump of the black tank with the slinky, providing the tank is at least two thirds full. I would not like having a macerator only to dump my tanks. YMMV
Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #5973

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I've had one for years and never once had it spilled one drop anywhere, nor has it ever clogged from TP. I suggest you re-examine your installation. What you did get 100% correct is running the unit dry, even for a few seconds. That rubber impeller WILL melt. NEVER run that pump dry!
No re-examination necessary. Got rid of the GMC and the mascerator along with it. No mascerator on my diesel pusher. Would never have another one. Wait until you run it a while, it will start leaking. They are way also too slow and burn up easily. If a dump line is slow, it's because some joker in front of you has a mascerator. Just totally unnecessary unless you have a boat. Just more thing to go wrong. Would you put one on your house, same thing. Any plumber knows shi* flows downhill, you don't need to pump it unless you are pushing it up hill.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #5974

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have had a macerator for about 5 years. 1 burned out due to wife leaving on accidentally but never a leak and is a whole lot easier than trying to empty uphill or empty partially filled slinky.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #5975

Bought a small air compressor at harbor frieght. I have a 55 gallon drum I bring along for extra water. I can pressurize it and push water into the tank from the bed of my truck. These are test pictures. I was using a 12 volt air compressor. I use this when we are boondocking. I only have a 20 gallon fresh water tank. Someone changed it out at some point. When I use this barrel my grey and black tanks can hold it all. Barely. With several small children we tend to use more water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	..1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	116501  
Attached Images

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #5976

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydid View Post
A sixteen and one half foot telescoping ladder.
Robot Check
That looks pretty cool. I'm going to have to bookmark that for another day.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #5977

Newmar Owners Club
Just bought some more mouse bait for the hungry critters. I guess they have decided that our MH makes a great house for them.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #5978

A Thermo Cube, to help heat the underbelly.