Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #6203

A simple way to protect a surge protector is to use a padlock on the electrical box at the power post. Most boxes have a tab the goes thru the box cover that allows this.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #6204

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An ice maker so I never run out of ice again!
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #6205

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
Do you need a satelite meter to set up this 5 LNB dish each time you set it up? I use a Slimline 5 LNB too but on a tripod. It requires a Birddog meter to aim it each time. It can get a little complicated.

Phil Swanson
Phil, I'm sorry, I missed this earlier. No meter needed, the dish is fully automatic and locates the satellites on its own. I do however, switch over the signal meter on the receiver but I guess that is due to old habits with the old system, no real need to do that with this one. Just turn the power on and wait for the satellites to lock on indicated by an asterisk on the display and then it is ready for viewing. Tried it out for the first time on Saturday once I was able to get the wiring and everything setup inside the coach. Works pretty slick.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #6206

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Remote LED monitor for the Surge Guard. I also have purchased a box of better wiring set screws with cupped ends for the connections on the Surge Guard. Unfortunately the manufacturer used radiused end set screws which while fine for solid strand wire, just will not hold stranded cable tight enough. Stranded #6Awg line wire to the breaker box seems to be the standard for RVs.
For other folks information, The fastest way to fix this is to tin the wire. Just heat the stranded wire with a soldering gun and coat the wire with solder. Now you have solid wire. This works very well for stranded wire for the tow harness.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #6207

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Installed TPMS on the travel trailer. Now to decide where to put the display in the truck. Any ideas?
I put an Edge CTS gauge and GPS on Garmin friction mounts on the center of the dash. The TPMS monitor has a windshield mount that sticks behind the GPS so the TPMS monitor is to the right of the GPS. Now I have to remember to look at the road!
After a couple of close calls with an idiot trying to prove that two objects can, in fact, occupy the same space and another with road rage because I didn't yield my interstate lane to his on ramp (he came on in my blind spot), I just got a Magellan dash cam and trying to figure out what to do with it. If I stick it beside the mirror, the popo won't like it. Maybe behind the Edge CTS and the GPS? Getting crowded.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #6208
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
For other folks information, The fastest way to fix this is to tin the wire. Just heat the stranded wire with a soldering gun and coat the wire with solder. Now you have solid wire. This works very well for stranded wire for the tow harness.
Thanks. The reason I chose not to do a solder tinning was that it tends to make a connection too rigid and solid beyond the removed insulation . It then is a potential failure place with vibration. This is a holdover from my racing then street rod activities. Some 1/4-28 cupped set screws work well replacing the supplied radiused screws though I did grind a bit of the sharpened cup end flat.

Just so others might wonder what I'm talking about, this is from the McMaster-Carr catalog:

Easy-Adjust Oval Point Set Screws

A small rounded contact surface allows you to make slight adjustments without loosening the screw and also causes minimal surface damage. Screws have a hex socket and a Class 3A thread fit. All dimensions meet ASME B18.3. Length listed is the overall length.

Underline and bold are mine and why the connections kept coming apart with little tugging regardless of how tight I twisted the screw. The Surge Guard also had a screw driver slot instead of a hex

Now, we can go back to the thread subject
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #6209

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
. SafTplus steering system. Nice improvement for handling our bus.
You're gonna love that Safe-T-Plus system, Clay. It made an incredible difference on ours.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Phil, I'm sorry, I missed this earlier. No meter needed, the dish is fully automatic and locates the satellites on its own. I do however, switch over the signal meter on the receiver but I guess that is due to old habits with the old system, no real need to do that with this one. Just turn the power on and wait for the satellites to lock on indicated by an asterisk on the display and then it is ready for viewing. Tried it out for the first time on Saturday once I was able to get the wiring and everything setup inside the coach. Works pretty slick.

Mike.
Very nice, gotta get me one of these!

Phil Swanson
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #6211

TV, Toad Wiring

I bought a new 28" flat screen along w/ a wall mount. Getting rid of the old clunker that was heavy and didn't get live digital TV anyway. Also ordered a JACK antenna to replace my old one.

Also had the toad lighting wiring re-done and re-fitted with new plugs because I am about to try towing my Wrangler for the first time.
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #6212

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Portable induction cooktop and nesting pots and pans. Going to use the cooktop inside and out and get rid of the old Coleman stove, no more hauling propane and white gas, etc

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #6213

Bengal bug spray and a dust buster for the asian beetles, may they rest in peace. Also two small and one larger remote holder. Want one for my phone in the bedroom since we don't have shelves next to the bed. Another for the radio remote just inside the door so we can reach it while sitting outside and a larger one for a yet undetermined use, maybe all the remotes or maybe for my kindle and phone. We are debating on the folding Coleman propane grill, just not sure we need it as I like to cook over a fire.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #6214

Tiffin Owners Club
"RV Brass Adjustable Lead-Free Water Pressure Regulator." Was so tired of the cheap regulators that reduced flow as well as pressure. This is a huge win! HUGE!

sjkinlodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #6215

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
A simple way to protect a surge protector is to use a padlock on the electrical box at the power post. Most boxes have a tab the goes thru the box cover that allows this.
OR do like I did and get the surge protector that is wired on the inside. Not hard to install and becomes part of the system.

Phil Swanson
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #6216

Led lights for intereor, new head lights
2jah is offline   Reply With Quote