Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #8415

Rented a pole saw from Home Depot to trim the neighbors trees that keep trying to take the roof off the coach. I have a white work truck, donned safety vests and hard hats and I dont think they thought twice about it.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #8416

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got it out of the shop just for mostly general maintenance, oil change and genny service, Check code for Check engine light which turned out to be a defective new battery, having the brakes checked and was having problems with the levelers. One lifter had a leak and turned out to be it blew a couple of the O ring seals. Second attempt to have a feed leak fixed in the small toilet room. No damage because I discovered the problem and backed paper towels around it to keep it from going under the floor Also had the State inspection accomplished. Picked it up Saturday and kept it overnight and dropped it off at the body shop to repair some paint, trim and body damage. That's the bill that's going to hurt.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:56 PM   #8417

If the tree branches are over your property line, then you can trim to your hearts content on your side.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If the tree branches are over your property line, then you can trim to your hearts content on your side.
Nope, lining the road over a mile. We live in the woods. They all encroach the road by 15 feet or more. The county never enforced any setbacks. I just didn't feel like dealing with them. They have no one to complain to its technically not their property. lol
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #8419

Winnebago Owners Club
After looking at all options, like pancake compressors, using the onboard air system etc. I finally decided on a Viair 40047 400RV tire inflator.
Found a real good price on Amazon.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 23.36.08.png
Views:	147
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	171026  
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #8420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
After looking at all options, like pancake compressors, using the onboard air system etc. I finally decided on a Viair 40047 400RV tire inflator.
Found a real good price on Amazon.ca
We have a 150 psi pancake compressor already owned. Havent needed it yet as we top off using the large tank compressor in the barn.

What made you decide the tire inflator over the pancake compressor? Dont want to find out in a pinch that its a bad idea.

The 150psi pancake compressor new is $99 at Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...ressor/4764588
Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #8421
IC2

I have a P-C pancake compressor that I use for many of my odd jobs along with a little 12v Craftsman inflater that we carry in the 5er. That little 12v inflater takes a l-o-o-n-g time to fill even an automobile tire vs the pancake. Of course there is my big shop compressor ...... but I have but only a couple hundred feet of hose

I do like those Vlair units though
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #8422

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought my first Craftsman/Porter Cable in late 2008 as it was one of the few that would fit in the basement storage. and have used it several times since, once for a complete fill up on a 22 in tire. Have liked it so well that due to limited storage space in the new house garage, I bought another to replace the upright I had. I use it quite often to top off pressure before trips, the wife's car and my F-150.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #8423

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
We have a 150 psi pancake compressor already owned. Havent needed it yet as we top off using the large tank compressor in the barn.

What made you decide the tire inflator over the pancake compressor? Dont want to find out in a pinch that its a bad idea.

The 150psi pancake compressor new is $99 at Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABL...ressor/4764588
What made me decide is two-fold. I already have a 135 psi Bostitch 4 gallon compressor that came with the roofing nailer I bought a few years ago.

The 150 psi Porter-Cable at Lowe's over here is CDN$189 on sale.

So when I saw the Viair unit on sale on Amazon I knew I would be kicking myself sometime in the future if I didn't jump on it.

I looked at some Viair youtube videos and after trying it out myself I'm glad to say it works nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 15.13.19.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	171122  
Old 08-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #8424

New DVD / Nav Receiver

My old system from 2003 finally died so I upgraded with a Jensen VX7012 receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid $293 for it and it works great. I couldn't see out my rearview camera without it so replacement was a must.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #8425

"What made you decide the tire inflator over the pancake compressor? Dont want to find out in a pinch that its a bad idea. "

I see no reason a pancake compressor would not work. Just make sure you have all the parts to need.

I have struggled with truck stop air, and the compressor on my DP for years. I finally decided I needed something easier. After months of agonizing, I purchased a Vlair RV unit. When it arrived, I discovered several reason to purchase that are not obvious when looking at the advertising material.

1 - It is lighter than the pancake model and comes with a handle (both on the compressor and on the bag)
2 - It comes with bag to hold all the parts and keep them together
3 - it is smaller than the Pancake compressors so it stores easier
4 - It comes with all the parts needed including:
A - A two section high quality air hose (Only need one section for most uses)
B - Two filler chucks
One screw on right angle for filing a tire from empty
One long straight push-on for topping off
C - Basket ball inflaters
D - Accurate pressure gauge (Matched my calibrated gauge)
E - Clamps for easy battery connection
F - All air parts assemble with quick connect connections
G - It has an automatic cutoff. Release the filler valve and the compressor stops.
H - Between the hose and battery cables it can reach the entire coach and tow vehicle without an extension cord.

Of all these things, the most important to me was the sturdy canvas bag. No more searching around for the bits needed they are all kept with the compressor.

When you include the fittings for the pancake compressor the ones I could find were not significantly cheaper than the Vlair.

I am happy with my choice even though I thought it was too expensive at the time of purchase.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #8426

For me, a compressor on the road is a waste of money and storage space. I carry a AAA card and a cell phone. Have a flat or real low tire? Call AAA. If I need to run a drill motor, I fire up the generator. The only pancakes I want are the blueberry variety with syrup.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #8427

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
For me, a compressor on the road is a waste of money and storage space. I carry a AAA card and a cell phone. Have a flat or real low tire? Call AAA. If I need to run a drill motor, I fire up the generator. The only pancakes I want are the blueberry variety with syrup.

Ha ha ha, I guess if you're low on storage, this is just one of many "what to carry" decisions we make. For me, I will find the room for a compressor. Granted, if I find that I must frequently top a tire off, chances are I need to get to a tire shop to have it diagnosed. However, I've waited for roadside service before, and I don't want to do that for a low tire. I would also not be surprised if they left me a bill to simply "top off" a tire.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #8428

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yeah it's not like you can swing by the nearest gas station and add some air. At the very least carry a long hose to use onboard compressor if you have to.