Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #8597

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysLeg 14 View Post
What was the cause of the fuel starving??
I'm wondering cuase I am currently experiencing some issues with mine. It seems to be an overheating issue just not completely sure.
I have had fuel starving with an Onan Quiet Diesel for two reasons. The most common problems letting the fuel in my tank drop too low. The fuel pickup for the genset is not in the bottom of the tank. This assures the generator does not burn up all the fuel and leave you stranded. In my tank the position is about 1/4 tank however with traveling up a mountain, the generator will stop sooner than when I an gain down one. For this reason I try not to let the fuel gauge drop below 1/2 tank if I expect to need the generator.

The second most common problem (Yes I have had moth more than once) is a clogged fuel filter. There is no warning, except the generator stops for no apparent reason, and will unusually start right back up if you let it sit for a few minutes and try again. This time it may run for an hour or more if the load is light, but when it goes under load again it stops.

And finally I have had a similar problem when the air cleaner was clogged.

The moral to the story is keep maintenance records, perform maintenance when indicated and keep the fuel tank at least 1/2 full. The generator will perform flawlessly unless you overload it then it blows the breaker. - Yep - Someone did that this trip as well - Both AC units, wife's hair drier, low batteries so charger running flat out then try to make coffee. Someone should have stayed in bed until after the hair was dry :-)
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #8598

Wink Easy. , ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaboost View Post
Do you happen to have a link for the air fitting?
You can get thru amazon, camping World, etc.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #8599

Wink FYI. . :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
I bought a nipple that takes my air hose fitting to blow out the RV lines for winter. I also bought a fuel filter for my ONAN because it keeps shutting down. I hope that I don't have to buy a fuel pump.
To confirm this take the fuel line off of the carb and put in a cup, jar, etc. push your prime button and see if fuel comes out. I had thought like you but it turned out the carb was clogged. They say these aren’t rebuildable but 1st you can slide the black plastic main jet altitude adjustment off (note position on screw & how many turns to seat it ) and then screw out that jet. Clean with a good carb cleaner. Also you can shoot carb cleaner up through the fuel fill line to clean out the float bowl inlet. Also use air compressor to blow out both after using carb cleaner.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #8600
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
You can get thru amazon, camping World, etc.

Even Walmart stock them in their RV section
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #8601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I bought a Camco 90 sewer fitting, 4 feet of 3" inch pipe and a bag on high strength concrete. I made a new cap for the septic tank at a rental property with the 3" inch pipe through it. Built riser using surplus 4X6s and added the 90 fitting. Now dumping tanks at home is plug and play. Next is a pair of bayonet fittings to put on a 3" hard suction line and I won't even have to raise the lid and mess with a slinky that is stinky.
I accomplished essentially the same thing with a roadside cone. Yes, flip it upside down and use it as a big funnel. Stick it in the sewer driveway clean out plug hole in my driveway and away we go.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #8602

Winnebago Owners Club
Balancing beads for all six tires.
Installed and waiting for the first test drive.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #8603

When at an RV park (not dry camping) my toilets use a HUGE amount of water thus the black tank fills rather fast. In my bedroom, on the wall where the light switches and floor heater controls are located I installed a switch that controls the opening and closing of an electric black tank valve. I also installed another "SeeLevel" monitor. I can now open and close the valve from inside the coach. (Lazy???? or convenient) I choose convenient. I also just installed another "SeeLevel" monitor in the compartment where the black and gray tank valves are located along with a selector toggle switch to change locations from the bedroom to the tank valve area to dump the black tank.

The black tank electric valve was relatively easy to install, a couple of bolts and it was done. The hard part was running the wires and keeping the concealed. The only place you can see the wires is inside the shirt closet and that door is closed most of the time. Even if you open the closet door you have to look "hard" to see the wires.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #8604

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
When at an RV park (not dry camping) my toilets use a HUGE amount of water thus the black tank fills rather fast. In my bedroom, on the wall where the light switches and floor heater controls are located I installed a switch that controls the opening and closing of an electric black tank valve. I also installed another "SeeLevel" monitor. I can now open and close the valve from inside the coach. (Lazy???? or convenient) I choose convenient. I also just installed another "SeeLevel" monitor in the compartment where the black and gray tank valves are located along with a selector toggle switch to change locations from the bedroom to the tank valve area to dump the black tank.

The black tank electric valve was relatively easy to install, a couple of bolts and it was done. The hard part was running the wires and keeping the concealed. The only place you can see the wires is inside the shirt closet and that door is closed most of the time. Even if you open the closet door you have to look "hard" to see the wires.

Just be sure the connection to the park sewer system is tight, hopefully the person trimming the grass at the park did not hit it, otherwise you could dump a HUGE amount of that lovely black water before you noticed in from inside the coach
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #8605

Monaco Owners Club
schumacher 240 amp battery charger
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #8606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
schumacher 240 amp battery charger
Wow, that's a lot of charger.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #8607

Alpine Owners Club
8" drop receiver and the anti-rattle clamps for the new toad.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 AM   #8608

Winnebago Owners Club
Door lock bathroom
Web cargo nets for various places

Ski poles to hold storage box doors open while using, they are under wall slide and have top hinge.

Roof cover
Rv wash and wax, winterize stuff
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #8609
IC2

It never ends! I thought my now long gone boat was a greenback eater ---- but this is still way more fun on land.
- new water filter cartridges
-Fittings to shorten the new too long macerator hose. Now have a 30 and a 20 footer.
- Winegard Wingman. Now at least we can see, FWIW, the over the air channels instead of watching pixels. Yes it works well and we now have 24 clean channels instead of 6-8
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #8610

12v waste valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Just be sure the connection to the park sewer system is tight, hopefully the person trimming the grass at the park did not hit it, otherwise you could dump a HUGE amount of that lovely black water before you noticed in from inside the coach
I have also installed 12v waste valves, and would like to put switches inside. I've run spare wires up to the inside, but have not connected them @ either end. The 12v switches have electronics; I'm not sure how remote switches would affect them. Please explain how you wired the inside switches, and how the toggle switch works. Seems to me that would defeat the purpose of having the switches inside. I've noted that the water pump and storage lights are switched from two locations, including the water/utility cabinet. Can't the same be done with the waste valves?
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote