Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #3949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Mike-Harriet please tell me about your Koni shocks. What makes you say wow & why did you decide to get them? I have a 2008 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis and think shocks may be what I need to improve the ride.
They take away the bumps and leave an amazing ride. Original equipment shocks are not good, even when new. You won't believe the difference and you'll wonder why you didn't put Koni on there sooner.
nogoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #3950

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoats View Post
They take away the bumps and leave an amazing ride. Original equipment shocks are not good, even when new. You won't believe the difference and you'll wonder why you didn't put Koni on there sooner.

Please be careful with blanket statements like this, you may mislead someone. Not all OEM shocks are bad, in fact there are instances when they are far superior to the Koni Brand shocks. If you don't believe me just ask a Koni Rep, they are usually very truthful and will tell you. An example would be my coach, the Koni rep said that their product would be a downgrade over the OEM.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #3951

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve,
Did they tell you that it would be a downgrade from OEM shocks back in 2007 when your unit was new? Or was it some years/miles later? Were you possibly inquiring about a lesser model of Koni shock than possibly what you had in an OEM model?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #3952

Don and Dale

Mine is a gently used unit with currently, less than 16,000 miles on it. I spoke to Koni at a RV show on the west coast in October of 2013, the first rep was pro Koni and wasn't sure about my shocks so he introduced me to one of their head something or other men there. He knew my Winnebago W24 chassis and said that from 2005-2007 they had used the new premium Bilstien mono-shock on it (no longer manufactured). His analysis was that it was probably the best shock every built for MH's and topped their best Koni, so if it was still in good condition to keep it, any change from that would be a downgrade.

He did say that when it was time to change he felt the Koni would be the best bet for my unit.

As a sidenote I should tell you that he gave the impression that not all W24's were equipped with these. I didn't get into exact details but he said Winnebago was testing them out to see if the price difference was worth it. Therefore just because you own a W24 during those years does not mean you have the premium Bilstien's on it.

Steven

PS I came from owning two DPers (gasser's before those) and I have to say that my stock W24 is probably one of the best driving gasser's I have ever been in. Passing Semi's is no problem, I handle crosswinds better than some of the smaller DPer's so I am pretty happy overall and have taken the adage of if it isn't broke don't fix it.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #3953

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Steven. On our Oregon trip a few weeks back, the winds we encountered on I40 around Wikieup were HORRENDOUS (and that's being nice) which made controlling the MH a nightmare. Even with the Safe-T-Plus (which made a huge difference in handling), the DW and I were discussing the next step in making the MH even more manageable and shocks were on the table of discussion. I was searching the forum on both the Koni and Bilstein wasn't sure which way to go.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #3954
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The last purchase for the RV was the ladder mounted flag pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	site on 4th.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	66952  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #3955

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoats View Post
Thanks for the current feed back. I am sold on Konis and will order when I get back east. Thanks
Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #3956

This is in our Class-C: Yesterday we put a shelf up above the door with a galley rail. It'll be a handy place for small items. And we laid the new Allure floor as we had a lot left over from the house. It looks really good. We also replaced a wonky light fixture in the bathroom. We put that silvery insulating stuff in the front window in the cabover.

The NorthTrail didn't need anything new.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #3957

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought a digital thermostat to replace the old one.

See this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/repla...es-210363.html

:-)
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #3958

The last thing we bought was an auxiliary AC unit from Target. We're in 112 degrees and the two MH AC units weren't cutting it. We were so uncomfortable we had to do something. Leaving was an option, but where to go over the July 4th weekend? Everything was booked. Didn't want the added expense of going to a hotel, plus we have cats, so another issue.

AC unit saved the day!
Mandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #3959

Hey Flanagan. Sorry haven't responded sooner, but visiting G kids and been really busy. My coach is a 2003 Dutch Star. We are FT and almost everything we own is on here, so we are close to our GCWR. Running 115# in front, and 95 in rear on 275/70r/22.5 XZA Michelin's with a J rating. The front really pounded on the bad I5 sections. I stopped at Brazels in WA and had it weighed, and pressures checked. They were ok, but when he looked at the shocks, he (as I suspected) thought they were original. Koni's were suggested as the best replacements for the original Bilsteins. Price was more, but they said if I didnt like them, they would swap back to Bilsteins. As I said WOW. What a huge improvement. Better ride, quieter, smoother, better handling, better control in cross winds. Love them. Friends with 45' Eagle changed over to Koni's, with less than 9000 miles on the coach. They also swear by them. Im sold.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #3960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Hey Flanagan. Sorry haven't responded sooner, but visiting G kids and been really busy. My coach is a 2003 Dutch Star. We are FT and almost everything we own is on here, so we are close to our GCWR. Running 115# in front, and 95 in rear on 275/70r/22.5 XZA Michelin's with a J rating. The front really pounded on the bad I5 sections. I stopped at Brazels in WA and had it weighed, and pressures checked. They were ok, but when he looked at the shocks, he (as I suspected) thought they were original. Koni's were suggested as the best replacements for the original Bilsteins. Price was more, but they said if I didnt like them, they would swap back to Bilsteins. As I said WOW. What a huge improvement. Better ride, quieter, smoother, better handling, better control in cross winds. Love them. Friends with 45' Eagle changed over to Koni's, with less than 9000 miles on the coach. They also swear by them. Im sold.
I totally agree!! I removed a good set of Bilteins for a new set of Koni's and what a ride improvement!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #3961

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Please be careful with blanket statements like this, you may mislead someone. Not all OEM shocks are bad, in fact there are instances when they are far superior to the Koni Brand shocks. If you don't believe me just ask a Koni Rep, they are usually very truthful and will tell you. An example would be my coach, the Koni rep said that their product would be a downgrade over the OEM.
You are correct. I shouldn't say, "all RV shocks," because I haven't owned a lot of those. I was speaking from my experience of owning 25+ new tow trucks. I can truthfully say all my tow truck original equipment shocks were low priced shocks put on by the manufacturer as a low bid item from their inventory. All of my 25+ tow trucks rode better when I changed the shocks with under 10,000 miles.
nogoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #3962

For TT owners: Fastway tire chock (http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/shop/onestep-chock/). Used them this past week for the first time and worked very well. Prior to this I used the standard plastic stoppers that were hard to wedge behind each tire and were always shifting position for the worse.

Point/counterpoint. Some postings have said they don't fit. There are many configurations with all the drilled holes. Experiment until you find the best for your rig. My AF axles are fairly close together, but the standard model fits very well. I think there is an extended version, too.