Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #5657

Winnebago Owners Club
How about a new (remanufactured) 8.1L Workhorse engine?

We died on I-70 in Utah at the end of August - the absolute middle of nowhere. The tow service took us to a GM dealer in Price, Utah. The engine was completely cooked.

I can tell you it was a long 1550 mile ride home in the tow car, leaving the RV with folks we didn't know to operate on the very heart of our coach and would cost $$$. It was also a long month of waiting, but they were very good at keeping in touch with us, so that helped.

We just picked it up and it seems to be running great. The engine is very smooth and quiet. By the time we get back to Houston I will have given it a 1600 mile shake-down and will know exactly how good a job they did.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #5658

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
How about a new (remanufactured) 8.1L Workhorse engine?

We died on I-70 in Utah at the end of August - the absolute middle of nowhere. The tow service took us to a GM dealer in Price, Utah. The engine was completely cooked.

I can tell you it was a long 1550 mile ride home in the tow car, leaving the RV with folks we didn't know to operate on the very heart of our coach and would cost $$$. It was also a long month of waiting, but they were very good at keeping in touch with us, so that helped.

We just picked it up and it seems to be running great. The engine is very smooth and quiet. By the time we get back to Houston I will have given it a 1600 mile shake-down and will know exactly how good a job they did.
So what caused this engine to die so early? Did it have proper maintenance?
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #5659

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
So what caused this engine to die so early? Did it have proper maintenance?
Oh, more than proper maintenance. In fact we just had check-up, oil & filter, and new water pump before the trip. We have an idea, but don't know for sure. The folks who replaced the engine think the radiator was nicked during the water pump replacement and the mechanic (?) put stop-leak in the system. But it is just a theory - but a pretty good one, I guess.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #5660

New seals for one of the rear leveler jacks. Replacement thermostat sensor for front AC unit. Wifi booster and antenna. New vinyl around the base for the toilet, to replace the idiotic carpet. DVD player. New coax for the over the air antenna. Replacement shroud for one of the roof AC units. Fabricated a sunscreen for the entire windshield. Had another heart procedure. And that was just last week. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #5661

New 10 gal water heater the old 6 gal died so just go bigger.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #5662

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Oh, more than proper maintenance. In fact we just had check-up, oil & filter, and new water pump before the trip. We have an idea, but don't know for sure. The folks who replaced the engine think the radiator was nicked during the water pump replacement and the mechanic (?) put stop-leak in the system. But it is just a theory - but a pretty good one, I guess.
This is exactly the reason I do all my own work. Many of these monkies in the shops are dangerous! I never let them touch my bus. I have seen allot of their work. And we are paying them $150+ an hour to ruin our coaches. I don't think so! And a coach needs allot more than what you mention before a trip. At a minimum, it should have a thorough inspection. All belts and hoses need to be changed every 7-8 years just like tires. Most shops don't take the time to do it right. You would never be able to afford it! Sorry about your mishap.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #5663

10 gallon atwood water heater. Replace the 1995 6 gallon that stopped working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444268920165.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	109042  

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #5664

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Cover for the new MH
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #5665

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Time to retire the old radio came at last. While the old one still works it lacked some of the functionality found in the new receivers. I went with the Kenwood receiver and also upgraded the old speakers with Alpine. Wow what a difference! Now I can use my blue tooth devices, phone and have crisp HD radio. We gain the additional advantage of the remote control so the DW can easily manage the radio without stretching across the motorhome to reach the controls. Upgrade well worth the effort in my book.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #5666

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What was the last thing I bought for my RV?

Another RV! (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #5667

Monaco Owners Club
Bit the bullet and replaced the house batteries. The previous batteries were 4 years old. They load tested as "bad" ... and I suspect were damaged internally given that I pumped more than a gallon and a half of water into them when I checked them prior to our first trip in the coach after taking possession of it.

The coach uses 4 huge UL16HC batteries ... at more than $300 per unit. Definitely a chachinnnnnggg moment!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #5668

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What was the last thing I bought for my RV?

Another RV! (-:
Come on!!! Details and pictures.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #5669

Finally completed an upgrade we have been wanting to do for some time.
New 2800 watt PSW Inverter.
New Magnum remote.
New Magnum AGS.
New battery monitor kit.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #5670

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Finally completed an upgrade we have been wanting to do for some time.
New 2800 watt PSW Inverter.
New Magnum remote.
New Magnum AGS.
New battery monitor kit.
Gary, any specific reason why you upgraded to the new inverter. Was it to get the PSW or the 2800 watts?

Was your refrigerator running fine on the MSW 2k watt inverter?

Also, have you had to add any batteries to your battery bank?

I have only had my residential refrigerator in for one long and one short trip so far and have not boondocked with it. I would assume it wouldn't be much different than before due to the Samsung's low current draw. In the past boondocking we would run the genset for a couple of hours at night while cooking dinner or watching tv to top off the battery bank, then by morning it would be in the 12.0-12.1 volt range and would start up the genset again while showering, getting ready and fixing coffee and something to eat. This is even with the diesel burner of the Aqua-Hot on and the blower fans running when the T-stats called for it. I did replace the higher current draw blower fans in our Dynasty with the Aqua-Hot Cozy III heat exchangers/blower fans though about 6 years ago. They have bit less current draw and are much quieter than the ones Monaco used in their coaches.

It wasn't ideal but for the 2-3 times a year we would boondock for a weekend at the dunes or up in a state campground or one night here and there while traveling it worked fine.

At this time it is purely an assumption as far as my battery bank because I have not tested it yet. I am going to need to replace my batteries next spring before the RVing season ramps up so if I need to add larger batteries or jump to a 6-battery bank then so be it.

I am just curious how yours is working out thus far.

Thanks.

Mike.

Oh, by the way, looking forward to seeing you and Darlene in a couple of weeks in St. George.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote