Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question What Would You Do????

We have been planning a trip to Fort Wilderness for six months now to arrive on Wednesday of this week and be with out-of-state family we have not seen in a long, long time. An unwanted guest, Hurricane Irene, may be a little too close and could have some interference in our plans; right now Florida is out of the so-called cone. Being rv newbees for just a little over a year now, would like to know "what would you do?" Postpone the trip, or take the chance and travel in our 41 ft diesel pusher and hope for minimal winds. We live on the west coast of Florida and our travel time is only 1.5 hours to get there, but just dont know about those winds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would make sure I was somewhere else.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would postpone the family reunion until a later time. Better safe than sorry.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Been there done that, I have evacuated, returned and minamal damage. Also evacuated and returned and 96% of city under water. I would wait as that hurricane does not see the cone on TV
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I grew up in South Florida. Even if you get a hurricane brush, there is so much junk flying around and the ground water is only a few feet deep. The streets and everything flood very easily. In North Fla, we would often get Nor-Easters. They can be as bad as a hurricane and flood the streets. You'll still have debris flying all around to deal with.

There will be a few days of yuckie weather before the storm hits.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

I would stay away unless you see a dramatic change to the projected path. We lived in FL for a few years. Once we were evacuated and the hurricane never came close. The second we were not evacuated and the hurricane turn left and cut right across the State catching everyone completely off guard. Stay away!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We were faced with the same problem in Sept. 1989 when Hugo went up the coast.
We were loading a cruise ship for a trip to the Caribbean islands, in Orlando, we were told to keep loading and not to worry, OK I will belive anything. When the darned thing got closer they removed the gangway and we went to sea, again we were told not to worry.
We rode it out at sea-NEVER DO THAT AGAIN,then we continued our trip, everyplace we went was destroyed, we saw sail boats on the side of mountains, a mile inland from the sea.
My advice call the reunion off and be safe.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #8

Well, no problem now going to Florida - JUST don't head for Myrtle Beach or the Outer Banks.

Tsalla Apopka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

I think I would postpone as well...If for no other reason than to stay the heck out of the way of people trying to get outta there...alot of east coasters are trying to head west...I wouldnt want to be caught up in that traffic.
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Traffic!!! There's a concept...
I remember traffic sitting in Northbound roads out Florida before a hurricane for hours and hours....
And the debris is the worst. I would stay away from the East Coast this week period if I had the choice. If you've ever sat in a Motorhome in 75+ MPH winds, you won't want to do it again.....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'd go. As a long term Florida resident, I'm comfortable that this one does not look like anything more than some rain in the Orlando area. I live about an hour west of there myself.

Now the NC Outer Banks is a different story.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol912 View Post
We have been planning a trip to Fort Wilderness for six months now to arrive on Wednesday of this week and be with out-of-state family we have not seen in a long, long time. An unwanted guest, Hurricane Irene, may be a little too close and could have some interference in our plans; right now Florida is out of the so-called cone. Being rv newbees for just a little over a year now, would like to know "what would you do?" Postpone the trip, or take the chance and travel in our 41 ft diesel pusher and hope for minimal winds. We live on the west coast of Florida and our travel time is only 1.5 hours to get there, but just dont know about those winds.
I am a fulltimer living in a motorhome BECAUSE a Hurricane (a "little" one named Katrina, you might have heard of her - she took out about 5 million homes, left tens of thousand dead...) took my house 6 years ago. I spent 3 years in a tent, 3 years in a car, while saving up for a MH.

Have you ever seen an RV or an 18wheel truck during a hurricane? You might want to Google some news reals and watch them flying through the air with the greatest of ease before crashing down on top of a house several miles away.

Advice? Your house has wheels on it: drive it as far out of the path of a hurricane as you can.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
I am a fulltimer living in a motorhome BECAUSE a Hurricane (a "little" one named Katrina, you might have heard of her - she took out about 5 million homes, left tens of thousand dead...) took my house 6 years ago. I spent 3 years in a tent, 3 years in a car, while saving up for a MH.
Didn't you say in other threads your home was in Maine, and that it was destroyed in a flood?

Was the flood in Maine caused by Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote