Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #1

I called Michigan State Parks today to make a reservation at one of the parks for the 1 & 2 of Septmeber. Before I called the central number I called directly to the park to get information "first hand". The woman who answered the phone was very nice and very helpful. I decided to go ahead and make reservations and called the 800 number.

I told the woman that answered I wanted reservations for the 1&2 of September. We went through the entire resevation process. ( I reserved FOUR sites) and paid by credit card.

After we hung up I said to myself....wait a minute, did she say AUGUST?....so I called back to verify they had the right dates. Sure enough she had made them for August instead of Septmeber.

To make a long story short the reservations were made for the wrong month. They insisted it was MY fault and cancelled my reservations and rebooked on the right dates. They charged me $7 for EACH site to rebook.

It was not three minutes between when I called the first time and when I called the second time. I talked to a supervisor and he INSISTED it was MY fault that the wrong dates were booked. He then refused to even give me the name of the first person I talked to. He said he didn't give out names and numbers of his employees. I told him I didn't want her number OR her last name. I just wanted her name to use when I wrote a letter of complaint. He still refused to give it to me.

What would you do? I am FURIOUS that I have to pay for a mistake that someone else made......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #2

I called Michigan State Parks today to make a reservation at one of the parks for the 1 & 2 of Septmeber. Before I called the central number I called directly to the park to get information "first hand". The woman who answered the phone was very nice and very helpful. I decided to go ahead and make reservations and called the 800 number.

I told the woman that answered I wanted reservations for the 1&2 of September. We went through the entire resevation process. ( I reserved FOUR sites) and paid by credit card.

After we hung up I said to myself....wait a minute, did she say AUGUST?....so I called back to verify they had the right dates. Sure enough she had made them for August instead of Septmeber.

To make a long story short the reservations were made for the wrong month. They insisted it was MY fault and cancelled my reservations and rebooked on the right dates. They charged me $7 for EACH site to rebook.

It was not three minutes between when I called the first time and when I called the second time. I talked to a supervisor and he INSISTED it was MY fault that the wrong dates were booked. He then refused to even give me the name of the first person I talked to. He said he didn't give out names and numbers of his employees. I told him I didn't want her number OR her last name. I just wanted her name to use when I wrote a letter of complaint. He still refused to give it to me.

What would you do? I am FURIOUS that I have to pay for a mistake that someone else made......

Old 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #3

I'm not advising you to do so, but......

I'd put a stop on the credit card charges (Call the CrCd outfit and find out how), then I'd make arrangements at some other facility.

Next I'd follow up with a letter explaining the story to the highest power in the state park system.

Art
Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #4

Does Michegan use RevserveAmerica for their reservations? If so, complain to them, and you shouldn't have any problem. They are used to it. They are the absolute worst organization of their kind on the face of this planet.
If you contact them and they refuse to admit a mistake, contest the charge, and redo the rservations.

Steve

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #5

Thats why I never make reservations. AMEN to the comment about ReserveAmerica,that was the worse thing that the parks could have done was to have them operate the system.
Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #6

booboo
If you do not report it to the State, No one knows how bad they are except you and a few of us. Being a retired State employee, I suggest that you write to the Governor and complain. Agencys do not like to get complaints to answer from the Governors office. The Governors office keeps a trace on the complaint and usually they have so many days to answer. So the agency is usually anxious to make you happy. s/Toby
Old 07-17-2005, 05:07 PM   #7

Toby,

Thank you for the suggestion! I sent a letter of complaint to the Parks and Recreation Bureau. I'll write a letter to the Govenor's office after I have given them about ten days to respond to my letter.

Three days later and I'm STILL upset about the way that little snit of a supervisor spoke to me!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When using any reservation service, especially a huge one like ReserveUSA, it is imperative to pay close attention when they read back the dates/sites back to you for confirmation. As you have found out so painfully, once you agree to the confirmation, it becomes your responsibility.

These big reservation systems have 100's of briefly trained operators, each handling calls non-stop all day. They do make mistakes, so pay close attention to what they are saying. They also get dozens of stories everyday from people who are trying to avoid change or cancellation fees, so they don't believe anybody's tale of woe. Poor customer realtions? You betcha, but they are low bidders for government contracts and that's what you get. No personal service here!

So by all means write to the governor and tell him or her that you expect better treatment when doing business with your state park system. That's the only way these contracts will get changed from "lowest cost" to "best service".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #9

i would be mad! but we do som much return traveling to areas we have to stick to our "no burning bridges"......hope it all works out

San Antonio, Texas
DanJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by booboo:
I called Michigan State Parks today to make a reservation at one of the parks for the 1 & 2 of Septmeber.
What would you do? I am FURIOUS that I have to pay for a mistake that someone else made...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can understand your frustration. I always use their on-line reservation system. The URL indicates that it is run by the Mich. DNR, but I suppose it could still be operated by a third-party. Anyway, I have never had any problems with the system - it gives you the option of selecting specific sites, in most cases, and has a brief description of each site. You also have a hard copy of the reservation rather than just a verbal communication.

Just a suggestion for next time.

I hope your camping experience is better than your experience with the reservation system.

Dave
dremelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #11

Ok, here's our two bits worth! Since Reserve America has offered the on line REserve USA system, we have used it often, and have never found an error. Just be sure to read and re-read the information before you finalize the reservation!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think Art is on the right track here. I had something similar a couple of years ago. Stopping the credit card charges certainly got the attention of management, who then proceeded to rectify the situation.

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote