Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

What would you do?

We are camped at a state park where thunderstorms have rolled through sporadically the past few days. The ranger came through and warned us about an especially strong one approaching with high winds. He was advising people to bring in their awnings. A few sites down is an rv with the awning out and the owner gone. There are items stored under the awning.

Question: Would you perform a "good deed" and secure the awning at the risk of the owner being upset about his items getting soaked? Or do nothing? Or something else?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

Okiedoke

I think I'd run the risk of upsetting someone and put the awning away for them. Maybe even try and slide some of the items under the RV that might get damaged being directly in the rain.
I know I'd sure appreciate someone doing that for me if I were away during an impending storm.
Cheers Rick T
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

I would wait till the last possible moment. If it looked like their awning was not going to handle the wind I would put it up.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd notify the park rangers, and let them handle it. They should have the number of whomever is there.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

Any park I was in we would get together and close all awnings.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

This isn't normally a park ranger's job. The owner is responsible.

Yes, if I were there I'd put it up for him and try to tuck anything that can't take rain, under the RV.

This happened to us in our early full-timing days. We drove 30 miles into town and while away it snowed a wet heavy snow. In town it was dry. When we returned our neighbor explained that with all the snow it didn't look like the awning would hold. We were very appreciative of his concern.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

We have done this for people near us in a campground before. After they came home, and the storm was over, we went to them and explained. They were appreciative. Would do it again if needed.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were in Boise a couple years ago and a similar thing occurred in the afternoon. The campground owners went around and rolled up all the awnings of people who weren't there.
I've had two awnings blown off so I'm familiar with the damage done to the RV when they blow off.
I would close the awning of my neighbor and move his stuff to my rig or somewhere safe.
We NEVER leave our awning out now.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #9

Neighbor came home before wind got too bad. Left awning out, but dipped one side severely to drain runoff. No damage. Might ask him "What he would do?"
Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #10

Some of the newer units have electric power awnings. There is no way that you could close this awning without the remote or using the switch in the RV which is probably lock since they are gone. You can close one in an emergency; say motor failure but you will need to see an RV Tec to fix them to work again.

For me the only time my awning is opened is when I am at the camper and awake. All the other times it is closed, even at night with us awake and inside.

Jim
Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #11

I would make an attempt. My power awning has a switch inside & also one on the bottom of the awning rails by the door. When my awning is out the power switch is own so it can be retracted using either the inside or outside switch.

Be nice & do the right thing. If the owner doesn't like it apologize to him & tell him next time you'll watch as his awning is destroyed & his belongings are scattered about.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowlites View Post
Okiedoke

I think I'd run the risk of upsetting someone and put the awning away for them. Maybe even try and slide some of the items under the RV that might get damaged being directly in the rain.
I know I'd sure appreciate someone doing that for me if I were away during an impending storm.
Cheers Rick T
+1 I would do my good deed for the day
Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have an electric awning and left for the day. The wind was pulling the tie down straps out of the ground. So, two neighbors went over put additional straps to keep it from doing any more damage and then helped us when we got back. We certainly were very grateful and definitely would help a neighbor out. Why wouldn't you??
Brenda
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
We are camped at a state park where thunderstorms have rolled through sporadically the past few days. The ranger came through and warned us about an especially strong one approaching with high winds. He was advising people to bring in their awnings. A few sites down is an rv with the awning out and the owner gone. There are items stored under the awning.

Question: Would you perform a "good deed" and secure the awning at the risk of the owner being upset about his items getting soaked? Or do nothing? Or something else?
I would not touch it!... That is my campsite! I have it the way I want it! --Good or bad-- As far as the items stored under that awning!?.. maybe check the door and bay doors to see if they're open so in case they are! them items can be stowed away so they don't get soaked!

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote