Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
I also sy no to both. Noone gets my password. I bought my RV so I would have my own bed and bathroom.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it was me, yes to the pregnant young lady no to the significant other, and no to the wifi if it was per minute based. If I had the unlimited airtime on wifi My before today my answer would be yes but now I may say no since I didn't ever think about people downloading bad stuff before it was mentioned up above.....
jlee815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
But he has no water in the MH. Why would you invite someone into use your washroom when you have no water onboard to take care of the business?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HHmm interesting situations.

I am with you and many other posters on NOT letting a stranger invite themselves into my home. When we're travelling, our motorhome is our home, no different that our S&B is. We've had "neighbors" at campgrounds that have tried to invite themselves into our motorhome for a tour, and each time I have respectfully found a way to decline. Heck there are plenty of beautiful motorhomes that we see on our travels, and sometimes we stop and say hi to the owners, but even though I have wanted to see the interior on some of them, I can't bring myself to ask if I can "take a look at your house". There have been a few times where I have been invited in, and that's a totally different case.

Now your situation brings a bit of a different wrinkle. Being stuck in an interstate traffic jam, I might be more inclined to let the pregnant woman in to use the bathroom, but would not let both of them in. If she had the capability to walk to the motorhome, she should be able to use the toilet by herself

Although that said, as far as saying that you were right or wrong with letting a stranger into you home - only you can make that decision.

Now the campground neighbor wanting to use your WiFi, I'm right there with you on that one.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
But he has no water in the MH. Why would you invite someone into use your washroom when you have no water onboard to take care of the business?
Maybe I (and others) misunderstood his opening post, but I took the O.P.'s below statement to mean that he only said he had no water because he didn't want to let her/them in:

Quote:
I told her we did not have any water on board - I sure did not want her and her scruffy looking "significant other" walking through our house.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jlee.

I'm a gut guy. I know when it feels right. I know when it feels wrong. So go with your gut. Don't give it a second thought.
Happy travels.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #35

Discussing the topic with my DW, definitely no to sharing hot spot, but stuck in traffic we would be sympathetic to the pregnant woman. But also the gut feeling, would be concidered
Teamgreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No to both.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hard to say re. pregnant woman, probably yes. The chances of catching anything from a toilet seat, as has been suggested, are so remote I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

WiFi/MiFi definitely not.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Community Administrator

I have deleted a few posts that violated this rule.
" We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness."
If you think another members post was out of line , use the report button.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
no and no. I agree, the gut is the best answer but I would still be thinking about the no for the woman. Hard to trust anyone these days. A real shame but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year I had a lady knock on the S&B home and ask to use my phone. She dialed something, hung up and then handed me the phone and walked off. Next thing I know 911 is on the line and a police car rolls up. They wanted to know who called 911 and why. I told them about the lady and the clothes she was wearing and they went looking for her. The PD never returned so I guess the lady wasn't found or did not accuse me of anything?

You never know what mischief people might be up to so I would say no to both the pregnant lady and the WiFi fellow.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never to the WIFI. Also to the bathroom. We had some friends we camped with back in the seventies. A couple of times we went sightseeing in their camper. Both our girls used their toilet. One night we are in the campground talking and she tells my wife that they have Herpes. We were terrified for six months, wondering if our girls had caught herpes from the toilet seat. Needless to say we never went off in their camper again. You just don't know anything about a strangers health or intentions.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #42

OP here. Thanks for all the replies, support, and thoughts. I was not trying to start a controversy, just get some other thoughts. I guess my cynicism will always trump trust where strangers are concerned. My main umbrage, though, was that in both cases I thought it was awfully aggressive for either person to ask in the first place. The woman who had to pee could very easily have used the tall grass next to the road, or a strategically placed blanket/coat for a shield. DW and I have done that several times through the years when car travelling. And what about the hundred or so other people stranded in the traffic jam? Who else would ask if they saw one go first?The guy without internet could have gone without or driven to McDonald's.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote