Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
when I was in the Army 63 to 65, I was in security. I can tell you for a fact that our instructor would have pointed out the girl had a weapon. She would count on you sending your wife in with her. She would point the weapon at your wife and make her call you inside. In the movies you would judo chop her, take the gun and be the hero. In real life, the boyfriend comes in uses ty wraps to secure both of you. If you are lucky they would only rob you and leave. If unlucky they would find the burned out motorhome and your bodies days later. Is this the way it would happen? Who knows. But in this day and age do you really want to take that chance?
Yes, you are correct. And whenever you open the door to a doorbell at your house, there could be someone with a shotgun waiting for you. Situations come up every day where a stranger "could have a gun and hurt you".

I would have let the woman pee in the bathroom and the dude stay outside. I would have made sure to clean the toilet afterward - and made sure the door stayed open the entire time.

It is amazing what random acts of kindness can do to help people. So sad that no one has any trust for anyone else because of a few isolated incidents. My wife can tell about a time when she was stranded in a stalled car durring rush hour in the middle lane for over an hour and no one stopped to help.
Mikeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Simple, do unto others as you would have them do unto you .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
you did the right thing in both instances....both situations made you feel uncomfortable....I am sure there was a bus in the traffic with facilities; and if someone needs internet...let them get it.
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #60

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bathroom would feel uncomfortable-I dunno--not just anybody, but the guy about the password should have not even asked--you were right. Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

It is amazing what random acts of kindness can do to help people. So sad that no one has any trust for anyone else because of a few isolated incidents. My wife can tell about a time when she was stranded in a stalled car during rush hour in the middle lane for over an hour and no one stopped to help.
Purely a sign of the current times and it is surely a lot more than a few isolated incidents that have soured me on stopping to help anyone or for that matter giving anyone money so they can buy more drugs or booze.

if a person is hungry and wants food I will buy them some at the local store but if a person is seeking money let them find a job like the rest of us people that worked hard for our money.

It wasn't that way 50-60 years ago when I was a kid. However, today is a MUCH different story.

No one is safe anywhere in this world. Not even in an elementary school where the very youngest of kids are trying to learn and have fun.

It's a very sad state of affairs how this world has evolved but it is reality.

I hope that after your wife was stranded for over one hour on the highway that you quickly signed up for a roadside assistance program with someone, AAA Plus, Coach-Net, Good Sam's Roadside Service, etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Maybe on the pregnant woman, but not the husband.

Definitely no on password sharing -- that is a big security risk.

Only you can determine the situation on the bathroom. You stated that the hubby looked scruffy. To your question of "overreacting," I vote no you were not overreacting, you were being protective of you and your family.

Happy trails.
X two
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Women-yes closely monitored
Husband- no
Internet-no
I have to go with this one.

For me this has do do with "need to have" and "nice to have". I would not have the hart to deny anyone in need, but I would do this on my terms.

Kids Internet service is still not on my "need to have" list, and I really have my doubt that it will ever make it to the list.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #64

You know, the more I think about , it's not so much that they asked. It's that they got all upset when they were told no. If my wife were pregnant I may have asked but, when told no I would have said "OK I understand" and politely left. Of course I would never have asked for the password.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #65

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife says I sometimes overthink things, so keep that in mind as I respond.....

For me, emphasizing the "me" part, it would've been a no brainer to say "yes" to the pregnant girl. I say "me" because I'm in my 40s, and while I'm no hulk of a person, I usually get called "big boy" from most and still like a little challenge, lol. I would've kept the male outside, knowing that there aren't too many females that my wife couldn't hold off in the event of something going wrong. As a matter of fact, I truly believe that if someone is intent on "doing bad" they're going to do, not look for a sneaky way into the situation. By asking a "yes or no" question, they had no contingency for doing harm, so the odds are really high that was an honest need. Hence the "yes".

Now, as for "Mr. Entitled" at the Campground, I would've not only said "No" but I probably would've very politely explained it in a way that He wouldn't ask any other strangers the same question. I would've shared with some basic computer network information to include the fact that the service is paid for by myself, and that we have detailed, personal information that there's no way we'd let most people we know have out network password, let alone someone that hadn't even said "boo" prior to noticing we had internet. Probably would've told him that in some places, a request like that would be considered pretty rude, although I'm sure that wasn't his intent. I usually approach people from a basis of "ignorance" and not meaning that in the ill sense, but truthfully. Folks these days pick up too much of learning from TV and the Internet and a big majority of them have never been taught proper manners. So, I overlook those forays in rudeness and write it off as "ignorance".

None of that is to say you did anything right or wrong. Every man has to decide what color his front door is and the rest of us are to compliment you on the choice.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gut feeling being OK, I would have let the pregnant woman in, husband or companion wait outside. I don't understand the paranoia in this thread; whatever happened to common decency? Why should a pregnant women be forced to surrender her dignity because she's caught in a traffic jam?
Wireless Entitlement guy at the campground? Not so much. I would have said "No" in a heartbeat.
I have in the past however let strangers use my cellphone in an emergency.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a stranger (pregnant or not) came to the front door of your S&B home and asked to use your bathroom, would you let them? I would not, so not in my MH either. If that sounds like paranoia them I am guilty.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
If a stranger (pregnant or not) came to the front door of your S&B home and asked to use your bathroom, would you let them? I would not, so not in my MH either. If that sounds like paranoia them I am guilty.
No, I would not let her in my S&B home. But then, the S&B isn't stuck in an hours-long traffic jam either......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Gut feeling being OK, I would have let the pregnant woman in, husband or companion wait outside. I don't understand the paranoia in this thread; whatever happened to common decency? Why should a pregnant women be forced to surrender her dignity because she's caught in a traffic jam?
Wireless Entitlement guy at the campground? Not so much. I would have said "No" in a heartbeat.
I have in the past however let strangers use my cellphone in an emergency.
Best answer yet.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #70
laj

If one wants to subject themselves or their family to that, that's their business. I don't. I didn't buy my MH to use it like a hotel. She didn't get pregnant in the last hr. poor planning on their part doesn't create an emergency on mine or change my rules. The op as far as I'm concerned did the right thing for his family, and to protect them from the in-known.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote