Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

What would you have done?

Our last night in Virginia Beach was terrible, not so much the heavy rain and T-storms, but the people in the campsite in front of us at the Holiday Trav-L-Park. It was "bike week", which is OK with me, I rode for years until my back told me "no more". Everyone was well behaved, friendly and having a good time except the people in site 38 in front of us. Before nightfall they were drag racing their bikes up and down the camp roads, smoking the tires to the point of choking us all, and in fact one of them lost control and was heading for a group of campers sitting around a campfire. Management did nothing! Finally they left and went off to party someplace else. They returned at 0230 and again began racing their engines and smoking their tires, filling our coach with rubber smoke. The sole campground employee came by and was intimidated away. We complained to the office in the morning when checking out and were told "they get a little rowdy". To the contrary, nobody in the entire park acted in this fashion except those two fools. The campground should hire security for an event such as this. Apparently their "quiet hour" rules apply only to people whom care to obey them.

This occurred last week, as of yet I have not taken any action such as calling the manager of the park (if there is one). When we arrived last Sunday, our site was littered with trash including a mostly empty quart liquor bottle. The admiral policed it all up while I set up camp. Then next morning I walked to the office and spoke to the employees on duty. The answer? You should have told us and we would have cleaned it. Given checkout is 1100 and we arrived around 1900 and the park was mostly empty of campers, I would think that someone would be checking the sites, but apparently not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

I would have loved to have done that TNT.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #4

Park management? I think a call to the local police or sheriff would have been more appropriate.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

If you want quiet then I would avoid "bike week" anywhere. Same reason I stay away from any campgrounds on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the Fourth of July. Just avoid it in the future.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Sounds to me like you had a better time than I did at work.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What would I have done? I wouldn't have gone to Virginia Beach during Bike Week if I expected quiet. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that there was only the one campsite that was behaving that way.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

Except for Thanksgiving, we avoid holiday weekends like the plague. We also avoid campgrounds that we know people like to party at. Being around a campground during bike week or something like that,,, no way no how!

Monkey Run, sorry to hear about your misfortune. We just went through a week of it during our annual spring break. Those disrespectful neighbors were loud and obnoxious, even had a karaoke machine that their young kids blasted out beer drinking songs on. The park we stay at has a "quiet time" but of course it wasn't enforced. I complained to the park host who later went by to let the partiers know there was a complaint. Of course they surmised it was me which only made things worse. Towards the end, loud comments started being directed towards our camp and it actually got to the point where i started being concerned for the safety of my Family and Friends. I'm very surprised none of our stuff was messed with or stolen. I had a feeling their last night was going to be a blowout so we left a day earlier than intended.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
What would I have done? I wouldn't have gone to Virginia Beach during Bike Week if I expected quiet. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that there was only the one campsite that was behaving that way.
Agreed X10. This story is kinda like the guy buying a house next door to a sports stadium and then complaining about traffic and crowds.

We do not venture out on holiday weekends due the the number of drunken, drugged idiots out there. We also avoid areas/times having the kind of activity the OP described at all costs. However, if I found myself in the same situation as the OP, the sheriff would have been called.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Agreed X10. This story is kinda like the guy buying a house next door to a sports stadium and then complaining about traffic and crowds.
I am an old biker, the party atmosphere does not bother me. The actions of two individuals out of many people had more than just us upset, the camp office informed the admiral of that when she marched in there. Illegal activity is accepted now days it seems.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I am an old biker, the party atmosphere does not bother me. The actions of two individuals out of many people had more than just us upset, the camp office informed the admiral of that when she marched in there. Illegal activity is accepted now days it seems.
It sucks you went through that. You mentioned that you are used to and don't mind a biker party atmosphere. Isn't drag racing, smoking the tires and being rowdy part of the biker party atmosphere?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
It sucks you went through that. You mentioned that you are used to and don't mind a biker party atmosphere. Isn't drag racing, smoking the tires and being rowdy part of the biker party atmosphere?
Not in an unsafe environment i.e. up narrow, short park roads with sites full of families at 0230. Indeed, our local drag strip and well known MC clubs host them. I would expect this in an open lot or a hill climb or drag event (all which I have attended), not in a privately owned family campground. But then, everyone's expectation of intelligence/civility is different, isn't it.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #13

Saying "it's to be expected" is not the answer. Any other day of the year rules "are expected" to be followed. There should be absolutely no excuses for these special occurrences - not bike week, spring break or holidays. Rules should be enforced.

We would have gotten the manager right away and if we couldn't or if he wouldn't do anything, then the Sheriff.

As far as the trash being on your site when you arrived, that, too, was in error of the park. It should have been cleaned before you arrived. You shouldn't have had to do it yourselves.

Since this has passed, I would write a letter to management and I definitely would not return to this park at any time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have something critical to say about a campground whether good or bad, there is a Campgrounds tab at the top of the page where you can make your feeling felt to others. It's always good to read where a place is well run or not.

Thanks for the heads up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote