Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats a reasonable time to wait?

For someone to back in to a campsite? The campground we are in is a one way loop with back in sites. We were heading out today and got stuck behind someone backing a TT into a space. It was obvious he did not have a lot of experience (turned out it was his very first time out with a trailer). He was doing the right things, but his DW was giving lots of (un)helpful advice and a lot of arm waving that might have be hand signals. After 20 minutes my DW went over and politely reminded him he was blocking us in, and would he mind going around the loop again. He was ok with this and apologetic, but his DW started a hissy fit, yelling that this is what Friday afternoons are for. We were late for our volunteer shift so we did actually have a schedule to keep. So, what's a reasonable time to block a campground access road?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

I suppose that depends on the person having to wait. I've run across this a number of times, and usually just get out and help the other driver back in. It's easier and less stressful all everyone. Plus you get your "good deed atta-boy" for the day..

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

What is reasonable is however long it takes. Remember, we were all beginners once. I'm sure that having you impatiently waiting for him only made him more frustrated and probably made the job take even longer than it otherwise might have.

Did it occur to you that you might have politely offered to assist?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

Given it was his first time I'd have given him all the time required. Everyone's backed in for the first time once.

I'm sure the stress of his first time backing, the DW flailing arms and barking at him along with a stack of cars waiting to leave was just what he needed to make his difficult task even more stressful.

Did you offer to back it in for him?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

Could you have helped them to get it backed in? The DH might have been thankful for any advice since it was his first time.

You have pointed out why I have a 30 ft Class A as it is no real bother to back in. I know my limitations when it comes to backing with a trailer in tow. My DW and I would have had several heated arguments if I had a TT/FW.

And I'm sure the DH felt pressure to perform with someone waiting.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

I've been known to drive the wrong way just to get out of the campground in situations like this. Poor guy was trying, but it does take practice. Don't you kind of wish he had taken the rig to a large parking lot and practiced first?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Everyone with a big rig 5er/TT has been there....the first time backing...I can still remember mine...I was sweating....Things didn't go as imagined.... Took a bit of time but I got it done. I was thinking back to how I would have reacted if someone had offered to back it in for me my first time. Its not a great offer because you have to learn somehow.....Although I did practice practice practice before we went out. I think its probably a better solution to offer suggestions and then if it is still not working for him to suggest he drive around and give it another try.....probably a great stress reliever for him and the backed up traffic gets out.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The first few times I backed my 5th wheel into a space I would get out and let everyone know that they should get a chair and a six pack ... The show was about to begin!! ... That's one reason I sold the 5th wheel and I now drive a small class A ...
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know a reasonable time, I can usually back in within a minute or two (Either a class A or a trailer) but I'm an old farm boy and backing a trailer into a tight "Site" is someting I've done many, many times (multiple times a day in fact) enough times to be able to simply think in reverse when backing instead of having to use all those tricks.

Helps that I was still in my "Student years" when I learned to do that.

You have basically two choices when someone is having issues with reverse.

1: Sit back and enjoy the show
2: Assist. (done that many times)

Suggestion: The FMCA has a set of hand signals they suggest.. They are real simple and the very first time I saw someone use them I knew exactly what they meant

Palms toward you moving hands toward you "Come this way"

Palms away "Pressing" away Move away from me

Hands moving right to left.. Move to my left (See note below)
Hands moving to right,, Move to my right.

Hands held facing each other a short distance apart "Continue current motion, this far" Bring hands closer together as he moves till:

Arms crossed across your chest like a RAIL ROAD crossing sign.. STOP!

Note; You may have to reverse right/left signals for someone backing a trailer so be ready to observe and adapt.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
posted my response twice...oopps
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
I would offer, but if help was refused, I would wait patiently. I refuse to wear a watch or work on a schedule since retiring, even when we volunteer. We just don’t accept jobs like that.

My father was a great man but was a typical stoic Yankee, a man of few words. He was a truck driver with over 4 million miles without an accident. One day we were blocked on a side street by a tractor trailer trying to back into a narrow alley.

My father waited and watched as the fellow made five attempts. He then got out of our car approached the man driving, said a few words that we could not hear. He then got in the truck, backed into the alley with ONE try. Gave the truck back to the driver and got back into our car. We proceeded down the street and my father never said one word about what just happened. He was not a braggart, but he sure impressed his son (me) that day.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, Double post. Fat fingers strike again.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
What is reasonable is however long it takes. Remember, we were all beginners once. I'm sure that having you impatiently waiting for him only made him more frustrated and probably made the job take even longer than it otherwise might have.

Did it occur to you that you might have politely offered to assist?

Joel
Please re-read my original post. At no point did either of us express impatience, actual or implied. We sat for 20 minutes with the engine off before we asked him, very politely, if he was aware that he was blocking the road. I did not offer to assist because that would have embarrassed him and inflamed his wife. Yes, we were all beginners once, but part of the learning experience is to be conscious and aware of others. I'm not sure I appreciate your tone.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
What a tough position to be in. I think you handled it just fine. i would not have offered to help either. 35 years ago my husband tried to teach me how to back up our boat trailer. We went to the school parking lot to practice. Two hours later we decided our marriage was not going to survive much more of the lessons....I never tried it again and he never asked me to. Happily married now for 39 years. ��