Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

What's easier to drive - gasser motorhome or a truck and 5er?

Thinking of moving up from our class c with a toad, to either a truck and 5er or a 31-34 foot gas motorhome. Wondering what everyones thoughts are in regards to how they each handle. Really enjoy the motorhome style of travel, but we need a truck anyway and the 30-32 foot 5er's have so much space!

We are hesitant to go to a 5er since we really like rolling down the road and stopping for a sandwich and the rig is warmed up etc. My personal favorite is the 30 second bathroom break when you take an off ramp and throw the flashers on real quick on the on ramp (not in busy areas of course) and do the deed and right back at it. When stop for the night the rig is warm and you don't even have to go outside if its a Walmart or whatever.

The class c was nice as well with the automotive cockpit complete with air bags. I honestly find the class a cockpits a little scary as I have been in two good wrecks in my lifetime and appreciate all the safety built into new vehicles. The F53/class chassis offers no real safety benefits in a crash.

I am wondering what others think? Our typical travel style is drive 1500-2000 miles from the upper midwest once or twice from October through February (winter driving required) and move generally every 1-2weeks , occasionally staying at one park for up to a month. We do however at times moves every few days but this is the exception not the rule.

Last, is a 5er that much harder to set up etc than a motorhome? Is backing it into spots a chore?

And remember we are comparing gasser class a's to truck and 5er's and the truck will most likely be a Ford 6.2l gas engine with a 5er not weighing more than 12k gvwr. Truck has to be gas since I will be driving it less than 2 miles several times a day for 8 months towing nothing and am not sold on diesels due to cost.

Thanks for reading- sorry for the length!
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wiresdave View Post
Thinking of moving up from our class c with a toad, to either a truck and 5er or a 31-34 foot gas motorhome. Wondering what everyones thoughts are in regards to how they each handle. Really enjoy the motorhome style of travel, but we need a truck anyway and the 30-32 foot 5er's have so much space!

We are hesitant to go to a 5er since we really like rolling down the road and stopping for a sandwich and the rig is warmed up etc. My personal favorite is the 30 second bathroom break when you take an off ramp and throw the flashers on real quick on the on ramp (not in busy areas of course) and do the deed and right back at it. When stop for the night the rig is warm and you don't even have to go outside if its a Walmart or whatever.

The class c was nice as well with the automotive cockpit complete with air bags. I honestly find the class a cockpits a little scary as I have been in two good wrecks in my lifetime and appreciate all the safety built into new vehicles. The F53/class chassis offers no real safety benefits in a crash.

I am wondering what others think? Our typical travel style is drive 1500-2000 miles from the upper midwest once or twice from October through February (winter driving required) and move generally every 1-2weeks , occasionally staying at one park for up to a month. We do however at times moves every few days but this is the exception not the rule.

Last, is a 5er that much harder to set up etc than a motorhome? Is backing it into spots a chore?

And remember we are comparing gasser class a's to truck and 5er's and the truck will most likely be a Ford 6.2l gas engine with a 5er not weighing more than 12k gvwr. Truck has to be gas since I will be driving it less than 2 miles several times a day for 8 months towing nothing and am not sold on diesels due to cost.

Thanks for reading- sorry for the length!

I think you would be happy with a class A motorhome, due to your frequent movements, and desire to not buy a diesel pickup truck.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think you would be happy with a class A motorhome, due to your frequent movements, and desire to not buy a diesel pickup truck.
X2 I would agree that you seem to prefer a MH-style of travel. A reason to switch should be more compelling.

Happy trails
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. The convenience of a class A when travelling is important. If you were planning to stay put for a long time a 5er makes sense, but if you like travelling go for the class A.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of the class A's the DP is the easier to drive in my humble opinion. Mainly because the frame and suspension are heavier duty, (which they has to be), to support the heavier engine, trans, ect. You will get a lot of differing opinions on this.

I also like the DP as it is a lot quieter going downs the highway.

Of course, they usually cost more.........
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We came from a fiver to a Class A and I don't think I would ever go back. The ability to get things out of the fridge, make a sandwich or go to the restroom or start supper while heading down the highway cannot be beat! And if it is pouring down rain when we pull in to the campground it sure is nice to wait for a break in the weather while in the MH, or being able to reach the boots and rain gear in the bedroom closet!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #7

We went from a motorhome to a trailer and were very sorry we did. Wound up selling the truck and trailer and went back to a motorhome. The motor home is much more convenient while traveling and I felt they handled better on the road, and were easier to setup in the campgrounds. Of course that is my personal preference others will disagree. Since you like motorhoming I would stay with it,
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #8

We full-timed and traveled constantly for 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel and 8 years in a 40' motorhome. By far, the motorhome was more comfortable while both traveling and stationary. Both of us drove both but we enjoyed the motorhome best.

You mentioned you 'need' a truck. Does that mean that you'd need a truck just for the 5th wheel or you would need it back home when not RVing? If it's 'just' for the 5th wheel then it sounds like you'd enjoy the motorhome best but then, you'd need a towable car.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I guess as a side note. If you get stuck in traffic, which we have, because of bad weather or an accident. The MH will be he more comfortable one to be in. Plus if you are in heavy traffic or stopped and you need to use the restroom? Just saying!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

With your frequent moves I would stick with the MH.
We started with a Class C, moved up to a Class A DP, and now have a 5er.
Love all of them but loved the Class A while going down the road for the exact reasons that have been stated. But we only take one big trip a year now and the rest are more suitable for our 5er toyhauler. Someday when we both retire and begin to travel more I can see a MH being the way to go but for now a 5er fits our style.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never had a 5er, so I can't comment on that (trailer of any kind is not workable for us since we tow toys-ATVs in winter, jetskiis in summer), but we just recently (6 mo ago) went from a 27' Class C to a 31' Class A, and we are really loving it. The first time driving the A was a challenge, just because it "felt" so big compared to driving the class C. But I quickly got used to it and now love it. The higher positioning, the huge windshield, the "openness"...the view is unbeatable, both while driving and while camped.

Other than hookups (which are not absolutely necessary to camp), I can completely set up the class A literally in just minutes from the driver's seat (levelers, slideouts); can't touch that with a 5er.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
IC2

I can't give you any further advice about driving and comfort factor - we like our 5er and don't see a future with a MH. But, with that said, make sure that you consider the cost of ownership of the two different ways of travel. Your 'C' is for all intent, based on a light/medium cutaway van or pickup truck chassis with pretty reasonable maintenance costs vs the MH which is a commercial chassis with the significantly higher cost. If that's of no concern - well then go for it
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I've driven a lot of trucks and trailers and never really had a problem with them. Backing up a 5er is different from a regular trailer, but not really that tough. When we first got the A, it was definitely a little intimidating to drive at first. But you'll get used to it quickly, and now I really enjoy driving it for all the reasons stated. Super-comfortable going down the road. I'd vote A.

And if you're sold on a gasser, don't drive a DP. Jus' sayin'.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It sounds like you have pretty much made up your own mind, but I will second the MH. I still have to have a pickup, so sold the full sized one and bought my little Ranger. We use it as a toad and I can still haul stuff. Go for the class A!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motorhome