Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Zip ties, 'c' clamps (3 different sizes), duct tape, electrical connectors, ratchet breaker bar

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #30

One of the best additions to what everyone has mentioned is a cordless impact wrench. I bought a craftsman 19.2 volt with two batteries. It has worked well for me. We are full timers in our second year and have found that anything you are accustom to having and have the talent to use is worth having with you providing it fits with in your weight capacity. I have used many of my tools on projects other than motorhome/trailer maintenance or repair. I also have left some tools at our Son and Daughters home since I haven't used them in over a year. We stay on property that we have set up for extended stays with three family members, two in SW Michigan and one in South California.

Full set of mechanic tools including metric 1/4" thru 3/4"
complete electric tools 12vdc & 120-220 ac
pancake air compressor
bottle jack
full set of cordless tools
electric porta-band saw
electric palm sander
hand saw
framing square
electric saber/jig saw
I have most all of it packed in three "CONTICO" plastic containers I bought at Walmart that I bought years ago to ship scuba diving equipment when luggage was free on air travel, they live on my slide outs now.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #31

make sure to have Torx drivers, lot of new vehicles use Torx.

One thing I have not seen mentioned, I keep a selection of bolts, nuts and washers in various lengths and diameters. Never know when a bolt will get loose and fall out, nice to be able to have a replacement right there.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
The tool box is a personal struggle for me. Tools are heavy and I carry a lot of them. It's kinduv the one area (other than water and diesel) where I look the other way when loading up. Seems like they get a lot of use, though, if not by me, by other RVers. Biggest surprise is the popularity of the Dewalt 18v grinder. \ken

DEWALT 18-Volt XRP Ni-Cad Cordless 4-1/2 in. (114mm) Cut-Off Tool-DC411KA at The Home Depot
Yup ... I have the 120vac version ... seems like I'm cutting stuff all the time !!

The other thing I don't leave home without is a PEX crimping tool, some fittings, and few 4 ft. lengths of PEX. Unfortunately, it gets used .
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #33

Since I have a Keystone product - all the above plus a bit more!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
One of the best additions to what everyone has mentioned is a cordless impact wrench. I bought a craftsman 19.2 volt with two batteries. It has worked well for me. We are full timers in our second year and have found that anything you are accustom to having and have the talent to use is worth having with you providing it fits with in your weight capacity. I have used many of my tools on projects other than motorhome/trailer maintenance or repair. I also have left some tools at our Son and Daughters home since I haven't used them in over a year. We stay on property that we have set up for extended stays with three family members, two in SW Michigan and one in South California.

Full set of mechanic tools including metric 1/4" thru 3/4"
complete electric tools 12vdc & 120-220 ac
pancake air compressor
bottle jack
full set of cordless tools
electric porta-band saw
electric palm sander
hand saw
framing square
electric saber/jig saw
I have most all of it packed in three "CONTICO" plastic containers I bought at Walmart that I bought years ago to ship scuba diving equipment when luggage was free on air travel, they live on my slide outs now.
1948boat (and everyone else),

As a newb to RV'ing, I'm putting together a tool kit. Most of the tools listed in this thread seem pretty obvious. (Of course, they're "obvious" AFTER someone mentions them. ) However, the woodworking tools throw me a bit (hand saw, framing square, etc.) throw me bit. Why woodworking tools in an RV?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #35

add a couple of different sized carpenters clamps to hold stuff down to work on or to clamp wood back together till the glue dries, Oh and Gorilla glue, etc
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
i always carry some alumiweld great stuff just use a torch also have some for steel and cast supper strong
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
1948boat (and everyone else),

As a newb to RV'ing, I'm putting together a tool kit. Most of the tools listed in this thread seem pretty obvious. (Of course, they're "obvious" AFTER someone mentions them. ) However, the woodworking tools throw me a bit (hand saw, framing square, etc.) throw me bit. Why woodworking tools in an RV?

Thanks,

Dan.
These were of course tools I had prior to the full time motor homing, but to answer your question, since we have extended stays we have built two small decks and do not use our steps to enter the coach, it is safer carrying shopping bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our MH112.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	69475   Click image for larger version

Name:	our MH111.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	69476  

Click image for larger version

Name:	our MH107.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	69477  
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #38

1948boat,

Nice looking steps and deck. Your tool list makes sense.

Regards,

Dan.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #39

Dang......ya'll are describing a fully equipped workshop/mechanic's garage. I have never needed anything more than a basic tool kit, knife, fuses, and a cordless drill. My thinking is that if I need any heavy duty tools then I probably am about to take on something way over my head and should just call for help.

I also like shedding weight, not adding it.

Don