Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 608
What's in your tool box?

Over the years I have taken a lot of calls from RV'ers with problems some funny some not. That however is not the point here what I would love to have more often is someone on the phone that can follow directions and has a few things. If I could make a couple things mandatory for RV use they would be a Power Probe and a decent meter. I say a Power Probe rather than a test light because I have seen good tech's do serious damage with a test light. Next would be a inductive 110 tester one that when you touch or even get close to live power it lights up. With these items there is very few electrical problems you can't work your way thru. Most of the rest like pliers screwdrivers is standard fare a nice set off bits and nut drivers would be helpful as a good socket set and a hammer helps. But nearly everyone has those things.

Next on the list of things I love is be honest with me or other tech's. I am honest to the point of being blunt so I expect the same if you have a tech guy on the phone let them help you but remember you are the eyes ears and hands. So listen and get correct answers for them. While it sometimes helps to have the back story as to what has been done in the past really what I want is what is happening right now. Nothing harder to deal with then a person who every time you ask something says we already tried that. Every part of your camper has a sequence of operation to make it work I like to keep it simple and go right down the list.
__________________

__________________
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gosnell, AR
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
If I could make a couple things mandatory for RV use they would be a Power Probe and a decent meter. I say a Power Probe rather than a test light because I have seen good tech's do serious damage with a test light. Next would be a inductive 110 tester one that when you touch or even get close to live power it lights up. With these items there is very few electrical problems you can't work your way thru.
I understand the 110 induction tester, and it is on my list to get, but I do not understand the Power Probe vs. a test tight. If you would please elaborate I would be ever so grateful. I am putting together a tool kit for my MH, and before I spend 2-300 dollars on a Power Probe, I would like to understand why.

Thank you.
__________________

__________________
Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Member
 
hoakken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 87
Exclamation

If a test light is used improperly damage can occur to electronics. It is not necessarily a bad tool, just not the right tool for every job. For the average owner a power probe is a much safer tool(low to no risk of damaging electronics).
I carry a set of basic hand tools(wrenches, sockets , screwdrivers,etc. as well as a good multimeter. On todays coaches any thing more than light repair I will end up in a shop just like everyone else as it would be impossible to carry all the current diagnostic equipment despite being a dual master ASE tech. (My definition of light repair may vary from the average owner)
Most owners will improve in their repair abilities as they gain experience in RV ownership.
__________________
hoakken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,478
I carry an assortment of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. plus a multimeter. I also carry extra fluids such as coolant and oil.

For the real serious stuff, I carry Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
__________________
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
If a test light is used improperly damage can occur to electronics. It is not necessarily a bad tool, just not the right tool for every job. For the average owner a power probe is a much safer tool(low to no risk of damaging electronics).
I carry a set of basic hand tools(wrenches, sockets , screwdrivers,etc. as well as a good multimeter. On todays coaches any thing more than light repair I will end up in a shop just like everyone else as it would be impossible to carry all the current diagnostic equipment despite being a dual master ASE tech. (My definition of light repair may vary from the average owner)
Most owners will improve in their repair abilities as they gain experience in RV ownership.
Hoakken,

I'd never even heard of a power probe 15 minutes ago, but now I'm interested. Those like very useful tools. The come in multiple kits. Which one do you think would be the most useful for an RV owner?

Thanks,

Dan.
__________________
2003 TS Select 41DS03
Dan_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rivraton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 353
WD-40, Duct Tape & bailing wire!
__________________
2015 A.C.E. 27.1
American Car Dolly
2001 Ram 1500 / 2012 Kia Soul....Go Hamsters!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 608
A test light is a dead short with a bulb a Power Probe is a multi meter on a long plug. I have several starting with the first model. You can plug it in to a cig lighter or clip it on a battery it will tell you if you touch the tip on a ground or a hot or a data line. It comes with a short dedicated ground lead and you can use the switch to make the tip hot or ground. It also is a flashlight and will give a audible hot or ground alert along with a visable led that tells you if your touching a hot or ground.
__________________
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
VSPA's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Humble/Atascocita, Texas
Posts: 1,229
Even though I carry a couple of the Stanley stackable compartmented
boxes filled with wire nuts, solder-less connectors, wire strippers, trailer hitch circuit checker and a range of various colors and gauges of stranded wire, I keep forgetting to pick up a multi-meter, so thanks for the reminder. Going to put that on my list. I also carry a couple two of the stackable tool bins with various tools including a Ryobi 18v drill and charger, two pound hammer and a large pipe wrench.
__________________
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: DAV, VFW, VVA, & VSPA
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
A test light is a dead short with a bulb a Power Probe is a multi meter on a long plug. I have several starting with the first model. You can plug it in to a cig lighter or clip it on a battery it will tell you if you touch the tip on a ground or a hot or a data line. It comes with a short dedicated ground lead and you can use the switch to make the tip hot or ground. It also is a flashlight and will give a audible hot or ground alert along with a visable led that tells you if your touching a hot or ground.
Here is what I came up with when I searched for "Power Probe" Amazon.com: Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit: Automotive

Is this what you are referring to.
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
CampingCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 1,144
What's in your tool box?

Good selection of tools (4 drawer tool box), multi-meter & a right angle electric drill to turn hydraulic pump if the need arises. Duct tape, electrical tape & tie wraps.
__________________
2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dvmweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 982
As above and Battery operated drill, assortment of self tapping screws.


2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
__________________
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
macantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Aiken,SC
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I carry an assortment of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. plus a multimeter. I also carry extra fluids such as coolant and oil.

For the real serious stuff, I carry Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
and don't forget the booze! for medicinal purposes and for those really frustrating repairs.
__________________
Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is what I came up with when I searched for "Power Probe" Amazon.com: Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit: Automotive

Is this what you are referring to.
Don,

That's one of the kits I was looking at. But they make several more: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ower+probe+kit

I was looking at that one or maybe the Power Probe PPKIT03 Master Test Kit (Amazon.com: Power Probe PPKIT03 Master Test Kit: Automotive). And possibly adding their Power Probe PPCT Continuity and Voltage Tester (http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-PP...LXM/ref=sr_1_8).

They have a lot of products that look very useful, especially for RV owners. Right now I'm trying to figure out which one would be most useful for our needs.

Regards,

Dan.
__________________
2003 TS Select 41DS03
Dan_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
Don,

That's one of the kits I was looking at. But they make several more: Amazon.com: power probe kit

I was looking at that one or maybe the Power Probe PPKIT03 Master Test Kit (Amazon.com: Power Probe PPKIT03 Master Test Kit: Automotive). And possibly adding their Power Probe PPCT Continuity and Voltage Tester (http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-PP...LXM/ref=sr_1_8).

They have a lot of products that look very useful, especially for RV owners. Right now I'm trying to figure out which one would be most useful for our needs.

Regards,

Dan.
Maybe some will provide us some insight.
__________________

__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? CrazyKnight Monaco Owner's Forum 1467 12-11-2017 02:11 PM
Tool Box johnnyreno Entegra Owner's Forum 11 08-01-2014 11:55 AM
What's in your tool box NYtravelers iRV2.com General Discussion 38 07-31-2014 10:12 AM
Tail / brake converter box jerry1 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 05-28-2014 10:18 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.