Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

Good advice all!
Thank you everyone.
CoachC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #16

That is a really good question with no definite answer. Sort of like how high is tall.
BUT, just put together a collection of various hand tools and add to it as needed each time a problem pops up and you fix it.
ALSO, as others have said, fuses, of all the various amps, bulbs of the correct wattages and voltages.
AND DUCT TAPE, and mending tape for hoses. Mending tape can be life savers should you have a busted water line for the house system OR the chassis.
I also carry a quart of oil for the engine, the generator, a quart of trans fluid, fuel filters, oil filters, spare belts (just keep the old ones removed when replacing). Some carry a spare water pump (house), alternator, chassis starter, etc.
As you see, the list can go on and on.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #17

What's in your tool box?

Thank you everyone!
Great responses and the a big help.
This is a great resource with vast knowledge and experience to draw from. I can see I will be here often.
Thanks again.
CoachC
Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #18

We are on the road (cross country trip) and I had to stop in a town to buy a set of Allen wrenches. My passenger mirror came loose and I could no longer see down the right side of my coach. Needless to say, I couldn't pass anyone on the interstate.
FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Not that you want to use the tools on the road but if you have to you will prob need something you hadn't thought to bring...check this out...compact in a nice case and has a good assortment.

Amazon.com: Yaheetech 399pcs Tool Set Case Mechanics Kit Box Organize Castors Toolbox Trolley: Automotive

I would follow this with a well assorted electrical kit...

Amazon.com: Dorman 86689C Electrical Repair Kit with Case - 399 Piece: Automotive

and some of these...Kimberly-Clark Scott Shop Towel, Blue 75147 (12 Rolls of 55 Sheets): Paper Towels: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple of years ago, I bought a 130 piece tool kit from Harbour Freight. Yea I know 'Cheap Chinese Crap'. but I have had to go to this many times while on the road. Certainly not a tool kit for a professional, but it has so many things that you need. and it is small enough to not take up a lot of room.
There are a lot of great suggestions here but one of those tool boxes will make a good basic start.

Just checked their site and they are on sale now for $39.99.

Search results for: 'tool kit'

Be careful with the handle on it because it breaks off easily, I had to reinforce the lid where the handle hooks in.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #21

Thanks again everyone!
Made a trip to Harbor Freight yesterday to begin my tool quest.
Made an Amazon purchase a couple days ago. We will make our 1st weekend trip to try out the MH next weekend. Should have some of the basics onboard by then.
Hopefully There won't be a need for any tools!
Thanks for all the great advice.

Rick & Sue
Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A roll of 'SILICONE RESCUE TAPE'
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #23

I always travel with "pex" tools and fittings. All the RVs are built using these and I've seen many times that they've saved the day. They're VERY easy to use and you'll end up having around $90 invested with a complete set up.

If you're like me, you keep growing your tool box over the years until it reaches a point where you'll start thinning it out due to weight.

Good luck
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #24

"Remember tools without the know how are called ballast."

GREAT quote. I'll take my racheting screwdriver, two hammers (one rubber so I don't hurt myself), my AAA and credit cards.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
A couple of years ago, I bought a 130 piece tool kit from Harbour Freight.

Just checked their site and they are on sale now for $39.99.

Search results for: 'tool kit'

Okay, after saying I would not take a tool box - this looks like pretty reasonable tools for the money and the 12 lbs. Plus, if someone took it I wouldn't need to have a meltdown...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #26

Granted you don't need to carry several thousand dollars worth of snap on tools, but you need to know the limitations of cheap tools you can do more harm than good if the tools you have round the corners on everything you touch, a basic set of good tools may be a better investment than a box full of busted knuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum