RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

What's needed for M/H propane supply to portable gas fire pit?

Gents,
While cruising the isles at the big tent in Quartzsite this year, we picked up a Camp Chef, "Redwood" (model, not made from) portable gas fire pit. It comes with a 5' hose and you have to supply the propane. Well, I already got enough crap on board and am approaching the max GVW. So, I'm not in favor of toting a long a 5 gallon propane bottle for this fire pit.

So, my thoughts are to "T" into the propane system on the coach and run a steel line to the very bottom edge next to one of my compartment door bottoms, on the passenger side (awning side) of the coach. I'd then add a female quick release type fitting to the end. I haven't cruised around under the coach just yet to see where I'd Tee off from so, that shouldn't be all that hard.

But, what I'm wondering here is, the 5' hose that comes with the fire pit has a regular POL type fitting for inserting into the opening in the valve on 5 gallon bottle. But, if I purchase say, a 12' - 25' flexible hose, I'd want a male quick release fitting on one end and, I'd need the other end to either screw right into where the 5' is now or, what? The valve on the fire pit has the regulator built in so, there would ne no need for any additional regulator in my setup.

I know Camping world, Amazon and a few zillion other places sell the little "T valve, screw-on adapter that actually goes in between the main tanks outlet and the main line so you can do a barbecue type thing. But, this will be a bit different. The 5' hose is sort of permanently attached. I'd need to do whatever it takes to remove that and, adapt my much longer hose to it. Then, just plug into the female fitting near the compartment door.

Anybody done this? Any pictures?
Scott

P.S. I'm also wondering, the quick release fittings I'd be using are plain old air compressor air fittings. Is there some special propane quick release fittings I should he using and if so, why? What would be different? Thanks
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your fire pit has a built-in regulator, it connects to the high side of the RV propane system (before the RV regulator). If the regulator in the fire pit can be removed, it connects the low side (after the RV regulator). Connecting to the low side is preferred.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Scott-

One thing to remember is that you'll need to connect to the gas line upstream of the regulator to get the high-pressure gas the firepit's regulator is expecting. Or, remove the regulator from the firepit.

Adding a "tee" is a common modification, and if you could use one for your firepit it might make your installation more versatile. (For instance, it allows you to connect a gas cylinder to the coach to augment the supply in the tank.) A question: How do you supply your outdoor RV grill now? I understand how and why you propose to use the quick-connect components, though.

On my coach the regulator is just after the tank outlet, and that is where I installed the "tee" for my grill. I moved the regulator forward about six inches.

Remember to use hoses that match the gas pressure: high-pressure upstream of the regulator, high- or low-pressure downstream.

Other folks should be along to tell you what you want to know about piping up with quick-connect fittings. In the meantime, here are links to the "tee" I bought and to a wider array of products from MB Sturgis:

Brass Tee w/4 Ports, 5' and 12' Hoses - Camco
Sturgi-Stays - SturgiSafe RV Propane Products (LP Hoses, Sturgi-Stays, Quick Connects & Regulators)
MB Sturgis Products
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the fire pit comes with a POL you need two things, Camping world and many RV stores have both

ONe is the Extend-a-stay type device, Though I do not think that specific product is still in production..... There are competitors (Stay-a-while) just as good.

You will need an adapter that lets you hook your POL device to a standard "Throw away" bottle.

That's all.

Oh, Optional.. An extra 10' Hose or two (Extension hoses for the Extend-a-stay)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Well Gang,
I certainly appreciate all your help here with my endeavor to use my coach propane for our new portable propane camp fire. Mark, most of the links you sent would not apply to my application. There's one primary reason. You see, my propane tank is in-accessible. It is tied/attached to the frame rail, in the center of the coach, in between the back wall of the living galley slide and the frame rail. It sits right alongside the fuel tank.

So, accessing anything on or near that tank, for temp or portable use, is pretty much out the window, as I kind-a suspected it would be. So, I've supplied pictures for all to see how my system is plumbed and, maybe you all can concur with my game plan.

In the first picture, I'm sitting on the floor, in between the propane tank and the back side of the slide/compartments. You can see the propane fill line with the yellow cap on it, in the upper part of the picture. And in the lower right part of the picture, you see the forward tip of the 31 gallon propane tank. It looks like a torpedo, without the propeller on it.

In the second one, you see the enclosure where the incoming supply line enters the tank. Then, just above that is the solenoid valve where, the outgoing propane is still at high pressure. It runs for about 18" or so and emerges from the enclosure and, enters the left side of the regulator. One the right side of the regulator which, is hidden by the plastic cover, you see the outgoing line which, does a 360 degree loop and immediately stops and, is attached to a steel hard line.

In the third picture, the steel hard line is ran across the bottom of the coach where, it drops down to where you see it in the picture. At that point, you see two flex lines attached via flared fittings. And, you see my feet that are sticking out the passenger side of the coach, were the added line will also exit.

In the fourth picture, you see the bottom flex line and flare, that I (think) will be removing and attaching a "Tee" in that section.

In the fifth pic, all you see is where the two flex lines enter the bottom of the floor where, one heads to the fridge and the other heads to the stove. The Tee will be added to the bottom flex line intersection. I will then add a short, flexible line from that Tee, to exit right close to the bottom of that compartment door. There, I will install a female quick disconnect fitting. DONE.

In the remaining three pictures, those are of both ends of the supplied hose that came with the portable camp fire. And one pic is of where the hose attaches to the control valve.

Now, since the POL fitting on the existing hose is the regulator for the system, and, I'll bee attaching to the low side of the coaches propane system, I should not need that regulator POL unit, correct? And, if that's the case, then, all I need is whatever length hose, with a male quick release on one end and, a female on the other. Then, where you see the entrance into the control valve for the campfire, simply attach an adapter fitting that adapts from a flare, to male of female pipe thread which, I will attach a male quick release nipple, DONE!

The control valve will still operate as it did before, controlling the size of the flame. Well, what's every one think?
Scott
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes the regulator on a fire pit is NOT tuned to the normal 11 WC inches pressure, i.e. the pressure is set to yield a nice campfire. I have no direct knowledge of you Camp Chef firepit, but a different brand that we had used a special-purpose regulator.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
While cruising the isles at the big tent in Quartzsite this year, we picked up a Camp Chef, "Redwood" (model, not made from) portable gas fire pit. It comes with a 5' hose and you have to supply the propane. Well, I already got enough crap on board and am approaching the max GVW. So, I'm not in favor of toting a long a 5 gallon propane bottle for this fire pit.
Scott
FIRE UP
Most every propane dealer who does service work can/will make a LP hose of any length, (with the proper fittings on each end), to connect your Camp Chef portable gas fire pit to the female fitting on your RV.

BTW they will also know, (by looking at your propane tank and the fitting on your coach), whether or not you need a regulator in that hose.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #8

Woodchopper has nailed it--take your bus to a qualified propane dealer who can make up lines/connections for you. In the long term, and for safety, I think a propane 'pro' is your best bet to get it right.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Scott-

I see the layout and better understand your proposed design.

What about the idea of installing a Sturgi-Stay and using hoses to bring both ports to the side of the coach, with quick-connects? There's plenty of room to install one upstream of the tank's regulator. With that option, you get to use any propane device that has a built-in regulator, avoiding the kind of potential mismatch issue that Gary mentions in his post.

You don't even have to use the Sturgi-Stay, just a safe solution for one input, one output, upstream of the regulator.

Anyway, an alternative about which to think.

I suspect you'll use hose instead of iron pipe to make the endpoint connections. I'm no gas guy, but it seems to me that our coach builder reserved iron pipe for the supply leg, where he could tie down the pipe without problems. The rest is a mixture of copper pipe and hoses.

Don't forget to use the gas-rated yellow Teflon tape where appropriate (varies by components being joined).

It looks like a fun project!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

Keep in mind the portable fire rings consume propane at a much higher rate than any other appliance you have on board. Mine can consume a 5 gallon tank in about 12 hours of fire burning. It's much easier to take a 5 gallon tank for a refill than it is to move the RV. It's also more flexible for moving the fire ring around your site.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

Hey Gang,
Again, I most certainly appreciate all who are helping here. I pays to ask. I will take all the considerations and ideas into a full thought process here. Mark, as usual, you're right on top of things here. Yes, the main supply line is steel pipe and, yep, I suspect it's for at least two things. One, it is a more stable system than anything flexible. Two, I don't know all the technical rules but, I'm also suspecting that, there's probably some sort of rule that for supply lines like that, that are a certain length or size or whatever, that they MUST be steel, heck, I don't know.

But, while haven't done a complete in depth inspection, I'm "pretty" sure I have no copper in that system. You can see in a couple of the pictures, the branch lines are flexible hose. This is why I'm thinking that I'd use flexible line for my extension.

And to the last gent who commented on the amount of propane that portable camp fire will use, yep, we're aware of that for sure. The use of this portable unit is not intended to take the place of regular camp fires. We use those if and when, all circumstances are applicable. The use of this portable unit is primarily for very limited time frames and, areas/camp sites/RV parks that do not allow for regular camp fires. We have used it only once and it was with a tiny, 1 gallon propane tank. It was on for about an hour and a half and used about 1/2 that tank.

As for the use of a 5 gallon tank, well, amongst other reasons, as stated way earlier in my first post, we ACTUALLY are at our GAWR in the rear axle so, adding another 5 gallons of propane is just more weight to deal with. Not a big deal to me, I've ran this coach waaaaaaaaaaay over the GAWR ratings for many times and, it's still rolling down the road.

But, I really don't have a good place to store a 5 gallon unit except for in the compartments of the galley slide. And, as many of you know, those compartments travel outwards with the slide. So, the more weight you place in them, the more pressure you put on the slide mechanism and, the slide blocks/guides and more. So, to go with a bit of a hassle of creating this little additional line is no biggie for me.

And, as for mobility for moving that portable little unit around the camp site/RV spot, the position for the quick disconnect that I've chosen, and, I'm thinking of at least a 25' hose, will give me plenty of adjustability for area we'd like to use it, at that given time.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again, since you said the fire pit is designed to connect to a tank (POL) this is the first adapter you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Sta.../dp/B004HL5U7G

Side effect, this also allows you to connect a portable tank to your RV should you run out of propane.

Next I'd get an extra 10' Hose... NOTE: I do not know if the one linked to comes with a 10' hose, the )(@#r$@ COMPUTER IS SLOW AND THE LINK HAS YET TO LOAD. But it is the device you need to adapt the tank, I use one, though not for the portable fire pit (i use it for a grill).

Next, to adapt from the 10' hose to the fire pit.....

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Dis.../dp/B0002YSY20

NOW: two cautions: First, Disconnect from he RV first, wear gloves.
Second: There will be some propane vent from the hose when you disconnect.

NO SMOKING or open flames near when you connect or disconnect.
But those two devices will work

Also, any Grill designed to use disposable 1. lb bottles. will work with that same 10' Hose and the adapted RV tank... Again, I do not use for the portable fire pit,, Because I tend to set it up, when I use it, some distance from the RV so a portable bottle does better.

But I do use them.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

All Done!!!

Hey folks,
Well, the propane project is all done. I printed most of my pictures you've all seen and cruised on down to my local specialty supply house where there's a couple of top notch hose makers there. I laid out my pictures, explained what I thought I needed and, one of them immediately went to work, rounding up all that I needed. He did it in about 1 minute. He quoted me a price for all the fittings including quick release components, tee, double flares, hose ends and all that.

Oh, and about 34' of hose. I say thirty four 'cause, I had a 4' one made to be used to tie into the system and then lead out to where the other end would be hung, under the coach. Then, as I kept thinking about it, I went from orginally thinking about a 20' hose but, as I was standing there discussing different aspects of this project, I changed to a 25'. Then, when he was about to go to work making the two hoses up, I told him, "awh, just make it a 30' footer".

He had the whole thing done in about 8-10 minutes. I brought all the new toys home and started to go to work. Got stopped right out of the gate. The Tee he set up for me was too small. Crap, back down to the store. No biggie, picked up the right sized one and, again, went to work.

I hung the female quick release about as close to the bottom side of the coach as I could and still be able to actually use it. It's tucked under just enough that it's almost not visible unless you bend down to see it. That 30' hose gives me a SERIOUS swing in and arc away from the coach so, that's really a good thing.

Does it work? Well, here's what I did for a test. I replace the original 5' hose and POL regulator/valve onto the unit. I lit up the camp fire with it and observed the flames to try and memorize the intensity etc. Then, I removed that short 5' original hose and, installed my 30' from the coach. I lit it up again and, in all reality, it's pretty darn tough to tell the difference, if any at all.

So, being that close in flame production, I'm totally satisfied with this little project. I want to thank all of you again for assisting me here. Very much appreciated.
Scott

Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey folks,
Well, the propane project is all done. I printed most of my pictures you've all seen and cruised on down to my local specialty supply house where there's a couple of top notch hose makers there. I laid out my pictures, explained what I thought I needed and, one of them immediately went to work, rounding up all that I needed. He did it in about 1 minute. He quoted me a price for all the fittings including quick release components, tee, double flares, hose ends and all that.

Oh, and about 34' of hose. I say thirty four 'cause, I had a 4' one made to be used to tie into the system and then lead out to where the other end would be hung, under the coach. Then, as I kept thinking about it, I went from orginally thinking about a 20' hose but, as I was standing there discussing different aspects of this project, I changed to a 25'. Then, when he was about to go to work making the two hoses up, I told him, "awh, just make it a 30' footer".

He had the whole thing done in about 8-10 minutes. I brought all the new toys home and started to go to work. Got stopped right out of the gate. The Tee he set up for me was too small. Crap, back down to the store. No biggie, picked up the right sized one and, again, went to work.

I hung the female quick release about as close to the bottom side of the coach as I could and still be able to actually use it. It's tucked under just enough that it's almost not visible unless you bend down to see it. That 30' hose gives me a SERIOUS swing in and arc away from the coach so, that's really a good thing.

Does it work? Well, here's what I did for a test. I replace the original 5' hose and POL regulator/valve onto the unit. I lit up the camp fire with it and observed the flames to try and memorize the intensity etc. Then, I removed that short 5' original hose and, installed my 30' from the coach. I lit it up again and, in all reality, it's pretty darn tough to tell the difference, if any at all.

So, being that close in flame production, I'm totally satisfied with this little project. I want to thank all of you again for assisting me here. Very much appreciated.
Scott

Nice

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, gas, propane