Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #15

I like all the different camping experiences, it is very fortunate we live in a time and place where I get to go exploring across America seeing all the beautiful sights. From wonderful times deep in the forest all the way to RV resort paradises make me smile because I am doing something I enjoy, traveling and seeing new things. Though I am not keen on Wally docking, I do understand the niche it holds, where any port is a good port in a storm.

Currently in the Outer Banks of North Carolina headed south to Key West.

Enjoy your adventures and safe travels.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #16

There are people who just do not feel comfortable on their own. That is something to keep in mind. It is also nice to have water, power and sewer handy. Not saying that I don't dry camp but I do recognize why we don't do it a lot and why the navigator is always looking for FHU pull through sites.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #17

If it doesn't have a pool, gym, clubhouse, tennis court, at least 50 good restaurants within 5 miles, 50A service, sewer and a golf course close by then I don't want to stay there.

My motorhome is my hotel when I travel. Not a glorified replacement for a tent. I'm way beyond that. If I wanted to camp then I'd camp. I'm a traveler and a sightseer, not a camper. I just want to sleep in my own bed, use my own bathroom and fix my own drinks from my own refrigerator. I'm not looking for a "rustic" alternative lifestyle and I hate campfire smoke.

Aren't we glad we have choices?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #18

“RV Camping” is my favorite use for our fifth wheel. To me, it means forest service campgrounds, BLM, national parks and boondocking. It virtually always means dry camping, away from towns and cities, fairly dispersed sites etc. It’s a great way to relax, get some hiking in etc. Of course with the trailer we aren’t roughing it thanks to all the amenities. With 90 gallons of gray water capacity, and 45 black we pretty much don’t need to conserve water to last around a week. The solar keeps the battery bank well supplied even in fairly poor weather, and we tend to pick travel areas based on seasonal weather to where Air conditioning isn’t needed. Our next outing isn’t until Jan where we have approx 2 months booked in assorted Arizona state and regional parks, none of which will be full hook up and about a third of the time dry camping.

That said, we often use the RV in a motel like fashion to explore different cities and the like. As of yet though, we haven’t been the sort to seek RV parks themselves as a destination in and of themselves, but we know a lot of folks who do.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #19

I can honestly say that we did not have hook-ups or sewer at any spots we spent a night at this year. Had to ask my wife to make sure! We also did not spend a single night in a Wally World parking lot.....
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
I can honestly say that we did not have hook-ups or sewer at any spots we spent a night at this year. Had to ask my wife to make sure! We also did not spend a single night in a Wally World parking lot.....
That's a bit tough on getting the tanks dealt with...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
For me, the reason for a self-contained RV is to be able to spend time in places that DO NOT have power/water/sewer hook-ups available at the selected campsite. Personally, I enjoy not having people within 10 or 20 feet of me. I'm not anti-social but I do like the wide-open space plus, should I choose to run the generator, I don't want to ruin any other campers experience. Let's face it, built-in diesel generators are quiet BUT they are NOT silent. My rule of thumb, 100-foot circle is adequate for my perceived needs, move into my area is OK, if I am there first, you're at the mercy of my noisemakers
I am kind of the same way, don't like close neighbors. it's why I live in the country. will be taking it out again next week to the woods for hunting season
Old 11-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

There are country folks and city folks. Above all else, I think that determines the type of lifestyle one wants when away from home.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I much prefer dry camping if its cool enough to do so.
It is nice to have power for air con at times, anyone else feel the same?

For me it depends on the location. Hook ups or not does not make a campground good or bad for me. It's all about the location. Trees with lake or mtn views with plenty of space between sites with or without hookups beats an RV resort.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
We just finished two weeks at Sunset campground in Death Valley National Park. Dry camping in a big parking lot, but we don’t go places for the sleeping location. We choose places on the things to see and visit, and DVNP has dozens of wonderful places. Before that we spent two weeks in a NPS campground along a gorgeous river. Dry camping. Between the two places we spent two nights in a “fancy” RV park while visiting relatives, then two nights dry camping and one night in a campground. My preference is for dry camping in a campground then dry camping in the boonies (what I call boondocking), then simple RV parks. I don’t value pools or golf courses, so I never look for sites with that.

We always describe our camping style as driving our one bedroom apartment to lovely locations.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
For me it depends on the location. Hook ups or not does not make a campground good or bad for me. It's all about the location. Trees with lake or mtn views with plenty of space between sites with or without hookups beats an RV resort.
Outstanding answer.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
That's a bit tough on getting the tanks dealt with...
Finding a dump station after boondocking a long time is very easy to do. No problem.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #27

We camp in the open desert 90% of the time. When we stay in a park, it's strange to me.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #28

Four years from May to September in Alaska, almost always in state parks, no water or electrical hookups. Learned how to manage the 70 gallons of fresh water and tankage to stay for 7 or more days before having to dump tanks and refill water. We had six 6 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter/charger. Ran the generator every other day to recharge. Those were great years.
My brother was transferred to Anchorage the year before we started this, made it a lot easier.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping