Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #1

We just bought a HR 5th wheel last yr. It has smooth aluminum sides and fiberglass endcaps.My husband Used blackstreak remover today, and had a reaaaly tuff time trying to get the streaks off.After doing a search I found some comments about using engine cleaner,Voom,and RV455 to clean the streaks.Has anyone found a reliable product that doesnt have one threaten to get out the brillo pads

Also what is the best wax to use to make the streaks easier to remove later? During the same search someone mentioned Meguiar's NXT wax and shampoo.Does anyone have any recommendations?Surprisingly I could find very little listed for either problem.

98 Dodge diesel,24 valve turbo w Banks Power
tammyinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #2

We just bought a HR 5th wheel last yr. It has smooth aluminum sides and fiberglass endcaps.My husband Used blackstreak remover today, and had a reaaaly tuff time trying to get the streaks off.After doing a search I found some comments about using engine cleaner,Voom,and RV455 to clean the streaks.Has anyone found a reliable product that doesnt have one threaten to get out the brillo pads

Also what is the best wax to use to make the streaks easier to remove later? During the same search someone mentioned Meguiar's NXT wax and shampoo.Does anyone have any recommendations?Surprisingly I could find very little listed for either problem.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:21 PM   #3

When we had a trailer with a rubber roof we always had good results using the blackstreak remover from Star Brite, sold at Wal Mart. Wax never seemed to make any difference in making it easier to get them off. I would just spray the Star Brite on, let it sit about 2 minutes, then wipe them away with a wash mitt & car wash detergent.

Haven't had to use the blackstreak remover since we bought our MH- it has a fiberglass roof. No more black streaks!

Happy trails,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #4

I use the same StarBrite product with good results. The best result is obtained by following the directions and allowing the spray to remain on the stain at least that long. Harsh chemicals sold for more extreme uses may damage the finish, or worse the exterior siding material. I hesitate to use anything that may damage my considerable investment. I recommed installing RV guttering to greatly reduce streaking. If you have guttering, clip a wooden clothespin on the ends to route the water further away from the RV sides.
P.S. I forgot to address the protectant question. We just bought a new Thor Industries product, and the second page of the manual says specificly not to use any such product on the BriteTek roof. They recommend washing with mild car wash soap only.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:11 AM   #5

This is true, spray bathroom cleaner. I use it all the time. But, I would would never tell my dealership about it, I didn't want to be told not to use it. It works great. When I picked up my last camper my salesman told me to use bathroom cleaner instead of the high priced Black streak remover. At that time I told him that is what I have been useing for the last 2 years.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Haven't had to use the blackstreak remover since we bought our MH- it has a fiberglass roof. No more black streaks!

Happy trails,
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless your rubber roof is shedding proficiently, it's not the roof itself that causes blackstreaks- it's the blasted tackytape they use to seal off every single joint on a rig. Because it's "tacky", it attracts all things unwanted, gets dirty "black", and that's what drools down the side of your coach. If you're tedious at keeping your rig clean, you'll clean each inch of this stuff with a toothbrush (now looks who's dreamin').

For the life of me, I can't understand why they haven't comeup with something else to put these rigs together with!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #7

We always used Reliable on our TT and MH. We watched a couiple in Myrtle Beach who had a storage trailer. They pulled in right next to us. Theey got out the Reliable and sprayed it on, wiped it off. Black streaks were GONE. We asked them what they were using.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allegro Happy:
We always used Reliable on our TT and MH. We watched a couiple in Myrtle Beach who had a storage trailer. They pulled in right next to us. Theey got out the Reliable and sprayed it on, wiped it off. Black streaks were GONE. We asked them what they were using. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Best stuff we've ever used, by far. It will even turn the yellowed plastic white again. Here's their website.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I'll go along with Just Me. A couple of years ago this same discussion went around; someone recommended Scrubbing Bubbles. Gave it a try and have used it since. It's nice to have one product to use inside and out. For a good and easy to use wax/protectant I swear by Protectall. Again good for use in and out. Great in the house also.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #10

I just put clothes pegs on the gutters to extend the distance the water goes away from the coach sides and voila no Black streaks.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #11

Our balck streaks arent just at the gutters, they are also around the awnings and windows etc.Hubby said they are harder to get off on the aluminum.I seen recommendations for Relaible streak cleaner.We have considered that.Also may try the scrubbing bubbles.What wax do you guys recommend after you get the streaks off to make them easier to remove the next time?

Old 04-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tammyinwv:
Our balck streaks arent just at the gutters, they are also around the awnings and windows etc.Hubby said they are harder to get off on the aluminum.I seen recommendations for Relaible streak cleaner.We have considered that.Also may try the scrubbing bubbles.What wax do you guys recommend after you get the streaks off to make them easier to remove the next time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They come off so easily with the Reliable product that I NEVER wax. I have all aluminum sides and when I'm done, my 6 year old camper looks new.

I don't have lots of time to spend on the camper so I have evolved my cleaning procedure to make it as efficient as possible, (with outstanding results). Here's what I do.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Wash rubber roof with a solution of Spic and Span and Clorox. (Making sure the sides are kept rinsed from the Clorox).
<LI>Wash the sides of rig with any old auto cleaning product. (This just gets off the worst dirt).
<LI>Let dry.
<LI>Once the camper is dry, go over all black streaks and buggy areas with the Reliable product. Wipe and rinse as you go. I typically do the whole front of the trailer with it and all bugs just melt off.
<LI>Do all yellowed plastics with the Reliable product, too.[/list]
My Sunnybrook dealer recommended the product. She stopped selling all the other stuff when she discovered this. She also uses it for rubber roofs but I haven't taken that chance yet.

When I first started using it, it worked so well that I worried that it MUST be hurting the finish. Nope. Looks great! (works on the awning, too). (See my previous posts for Reliable's web site).
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info. i am sure my husband will be thrilled about not having to wax. He waxed our 30 ft TT at least 2x a yr and it stilled yellowed badly.Do you
"not" wax the fiberglass ends also?
Tammy

Old 05-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilnJune:
I just put clothes pegs on the gutters to extend the distance the water goes away from the coach sides and voila no Black streaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Very True.. I even painted my pegs white so as not to look too noticable. I know, I know...I got too much free time.....

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote